Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I admit I've not watched any news in 4 days.. I was just so over it, I needed a break. I watched tonight and was sad to see it now at 83 😔 seems like only the other day it was under 50. Stop.. I just wish that figure would not go higher.
    jz97y4wubx1r.jpgbmqu4i62ojyl.jpg

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    yes I'm sure rebelliousness is not confined to USA- and obviously there are degrees too.

from mass protests to the person who just went to the shop for a non essential item or excercised for 5 mins more than the allowed time or whatever minor infraction applies to rules where you live

I am unaware of any actual group protests here like I have seen in US though.

whether that says we are less rebellious, less organised, just less of us - who knows?

also of course we are not at the "'there is no way to contain it at this point" place here - in SA where I live it is contained, and new cases are down to single figures in the last week - total new cases for the week was 3, I think. Only 33 active cases remain in the state. (all in isolation, of course)

Last time I checked we've had zero here new cases in in 2 or 3 weeks. No deaths yet. No one in hospital right now. I don't really like our government but they are doing something right. Only cases are from overseas travellers.

can i ask where your here is?

Hi down there. I'm in Townsville, far North Queensland.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(

Definitely a lot of ignorance out there. I read the other day about a 5 month old dying from this. It’s very sad the total lack of compassion.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Ann, yes I get that the number of people protesting is quite a small percentage (and not sure where the brandishing guns part came in?) - nevertheless - again reporting facts - there have been no such group protests that I know of in Australia of any size.

Individual people breaking rules in relatively small ways - having illegal parties, doing non essential travel, etc - yes they are here as in all countries.
    and there have been fines for non compliance

But organised protests of any sort - none that I have heard of.

I had and have no intention to suggest that any protests are (or aren't) taking place anywhere else in the world: I don't know. And I'm not trying to deny the US ones. I'm not even trying to minimize them, or defend them: I'm just trying to provide some idea of scale, within their context.

It has just not been clear to me that others elsewhere understood how really small the actual protests have been, in numbers. The coverage has been quite dramatic, even in the US. I have no idea how it looks from abroad. My concern was that it may look like a bigger deal than it actually is.

I mentioned the gun aspect because that was covered in a very splashy way in some sources here, and I wasn't sure how it might have been portrayed (if at all) abroad.

We did see the protesting (no guns though--strange, the Italians love to show how Americans are running around with guns in hand). They didn't make a huge deal of it, it was a clip mixed in with other things. Now they're showing American beaches full of people.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I admit I've not watched any news in 4 days.. I was just so over it, I needed a break. I watched tonight and was sad to see it now at 83 😔 seems like only the other day it was under 50. Stop.. I just wish that figure would not go higher.
    jz97y4wubx1r.jpgbmqu4i62ojyl.jpg

We have 27,000 dead, I think, as of yesterday.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yay Snowflake, you got yourself an avatar.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Here's a pic from Huntington Beach in CA from today. Yeah, I think people have given up on social distancing, at least at the beaches here. I grew up between HB and Newport Beach in CA and while this isn't crowded by many standards, I don't think folks are really obeying the rules here. No clue what that might mean but as a 70 year old, I kind of think I'm going to be staying home for a long time even though I'd love nothing better than to go to the beach. :'(

vp59jmnvwxyi.jpg

Wow. That is just so wrong.

Some of the reports said people were going to the beach to escape the record high heat in the area.

What do you think, probably 98%+ of the people out there have air conditioned homes and cars?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yay Snowflake, you got yourself an avatar.

Yes!!!!! I'm figuring out how to do it. The App is Italian and won't let me on the English boards, but my newsfeed is in English and my friends list. I tried changing my profile on the App, and victory!!! My big problem is getting photos from my phone to my computer. My phone is a Samsung S8 and my computer MacBook Air. I have to send photos to myself via e-mail. It's not worth the hassle. My son is working on it. I've got a lot of great photos--especially of food.

If you have a social media account that you don't use (I use twitter for that purpose), you can share from your phone to your social media account directly and access the picture on your computer without clogging up your email.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    yes I'm sure rebelliousness is not confined to USA- and obviously there are degrees too.

from mass protests to the person who just went to the shop for a non essential item or excercised for 5 mins more than the allowed time or whatever minor infraction applies to rules where you live

I am unaware of any actual group protests here like I have seen in US though.

whether that says we are less rebellious, less organised, just less of us - who knows?

also of course we are not at the "'there is no way to contain it at this point" place here - in SA where I live it is contained, and new cases are down to single figures in the last week - total new cases for the week was 3, I think. Only 33 active cases remain in the state. (all in isolation, of course)

Last time I checked we've had zero here new cases in in 2 or 3 weeks. No deaths yet. No one in hospital right now. I don't really like our government but they are doing something right. Only cases are from overseas travellers.

can i ask where your here is?

Hi down there. I'm in Townsville, far North Queensland.

Ok, thanks for that.
    So the zero new cases and no deaths statistic was for Townsville, not the whole state of Qld?

Similar situation in my regional town in SA - 6 total cases, all diagnosed around 4 weeks ago, all recovered.

SA now on 4 consecutive days of zero new cases, and total new cases in last week only 3.

I see Qld and WA are relaxing some restrictions now - our restrictions have never been as tight down here so basically you are going to be same level we have been all along - groups of 10 ok, outdoor no contact activities ok: fishing, picnicking etc.
    Beaches here have stayed open too and people have been good at socially distancing on them - probably not hard on southern beaches in April, not sure how it would work on Gold Coast, Airlie Beach and co in Qld.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    If some people don't see something, it's unpersuasive. And seeing "people not dying from a virus" or "hospitals not being overwhelmed in most places" is not "seeing something". Seeing nothing is unpersuasive.

Ann I haven't quoted your whole post and its interesting paralells to Covid 19 crisis - but yes I can see exactly this same phenomenon in area in which I work

Vaccinations: what can be seen: minor side effects like sore arm, redness, swelling, muscle ache
    What can't be seen; no case of polio, tetanus, measles etc

Along with, like Covid restrictions, some The government cant tell me what to do, its not a nanny state, type thinking

So I won't get my children/myself vaccinated because I had a really sore arm afterwards and the government cant tell me what to do and and nobody gets polio/tetanus/measles these days anyway m0946.gif

Interesting you mention "The government cant tell me what to do". I don't live in the USA but in conversation with my wife i predicted that Americans would protest the restrictions. The overriding claim of liberty, freedom, and rights, would never tolerate lockdowns and curfews like everybody else in the world. Now the protests have started. And the freedom to "do as I please" will be everyone's downfall.

It's a mixed bag over here in the USA. Some folks are being very careful, and some are not. I see a lot of arguing about what is safe, ranging from staying well apart and wearing masks to "the beaches are fine, fresh air and sunlight keep you healthy." More folks are having food delivered to avoid contact in the stores, while others persist on going out to the stores.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    So, you're not going to be within six feet of another human being for 18 months? 15 feet, if you're in their slipstream while exercising?