Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(

Definitely a lot of ignorance out there. I read the other day about a 5 month old dying from this. It’s very sad the total lack of compassion.

The thing is with that image of the beach: most of those groups are six feet apart. That's the "rule" in California, right? I know here in Washington the rule also states to not be within six feet of anyone, and to not go out with people that you don't live with. Well, in my twenties I lived in a couple different houses with 4-6 unrelated people. What are you gonna do? Stop everyone and ask for ID? I mean, it's impossible to enforce, most people won't obey it anyway, and like someone said upthread the paranoia isn't good for us at all. Being afraid of every person out there is bad.

I live in King County, WA. We've been locked down since March 11. It's not sustainable. With about 500 people per 100,000 testing positive (and that number is derived by only testing those with symptoms, so I concede it's not representational) it's pretty hard to strike a lot of fear into people. Out of those 6,000 people who tested positive (out of a population of 2.2 million,) 361 have died. 224 of those were over 80 YO.

It's also a question of density. I would think that so many people crowded together in clumps, even six feet from each other, negates the distancing.

I'm glad your county is faring so well--it sounds like the lockdown has been effective. I hope your county can open sooner rather than later.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Here's a pic from Huntington Beach in CA from today. Yeah, I think people have given up on social distancing, at least at the beaches here. I grew up between HB and Newport Beach in CA and while this isn't crowded by many standards, I don't think folks are really obeying the rules here. No clue what that might mean but as a 70 year old, I kind of think I'm going to be staying home for a long time even though I'd love nothing better than to go to the beach. :'(

vp59jmnvwxyi.jpg

Wow. That is just so wrong.

Some of the reports said people were going to the beach to escape the record high heat in the area.

What do you think, probably 98%+ of the people out there have air conditioned homes and cars?

That would seem about right since an estimated 84% of homes here in the frozen north have A/C
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
    I bought groceries this a.m. and was surprised at all the stuff I couldn't get or had to find substitutes for; it didn't seem to be like this even in the beginning. I thought retailers were catching up, maybe I just picked a bad time or something.
    On the upside I'd have to say a majority of the shoppers/workers are now wearing masks. Even if masks are not 100% effective, it makes me feel a bit more protected.

So can someone please tell me what to believe? Everything seems to be hanging on the hope of more testing becoming available, testing to see if you have Covid-19 and testing to see if your body has antibodies so you'd be immune to it now. BUT with all the false negatives/positives and the fact that even if you've had it once may not indicate you're immune...........none of it's making sense to me. :( What good really is the testing and why is everyone waiting with baited breath for them to be more available?

I read that they think that there are at least 30 strains of COVID19. Some are more aggressive than others. Without testing to see who has antibodies how can they tell for certain that you re-infect? They need to find those with antibodies, and then ask for volunteers to re-infect. Not simple, or fast. Then there's the question of how long immunity lasts. There again, testing. Some say sunlight kills the virus on surfaces after a certain time frame.

This is new and there's a lot of data to evaluate and more data to collect. I think that there are months ahead of us, so patience is needed. We will learn more going forward and answers will come. In the meantime, evaluate your situation and stay safe. By that, I mean, if you are assisting elderly, then you need to be careful. If you're elderly yourself, ditto. We have to learn to protect ourselves from others, even family members for awhile.

We don't know these things for sure, about how long immunity lasts or which antibodies mean people have immunity. Doing all this testing can help us answer these questions. But you are right that it will take a long time, months, to know the first answer.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I went to the laundromat today and then to the store. I have plenty of food to last awhile, but was hoping they had toilet paper back in stock. This time, I decided to not try several stores as I know that if a store is out, they all are. No sense in putting myself at additional risk for no benefit whatsoever.

The toilet paper aisle here looks exactly the same as it has for well over a month now. What is surprising is that there are still 4 boxes of Kleenex remaining. It's a respiratory illness, so that doesn't make sense... anyway, no toilet paper and no paper towels either. And since some people didn't believe me last time, here's a photo for the skeptics:
    8e8zeuqo7ze3.jpg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I bought groceries this a.m. and was surprised at all the stuff I couldn't get or had to find substitutes for; it didn't seem to be like this even in the beginning. I thought retailers were catching up, maybe I just picked a bad time or something.
    On the upside I'd have to say a majority of the shoppers/workers are now wearing masks. Even if masks are not 100% effective, it makes me feel a bit more protected.

So can someone please tell me what to believe? Everything seems to be hanging on the hope of more testing becoming available, testing to see if you have Covid-19 and testing to see if your body has antibodies so you'd be immune to it now. BUT with all the false negatives/positives and the fact that even if you've had it once may not indicate you're immune...........none of it's making sense to me. :( What good really is the testing and why is everyone waiting with baited breath for them to be more available?

I read that they think that there are at least 30 strains of COVID19. Some are more aggressive than others. Without testing to see who has antibodies how can they tell for certain that you re-infect? They need to find those with antibodies, and then ask for volunteers to re-infect. Not simple, or fast. Then there's the question of how long immunity lasts. There again, testing. Some say sunlight kills the virus on surfaces after a certain time frame.

This is new and there's a lot of data to evaluate and more data to collect. I think that there are months ahead of us, so patience is needed. We will learn more going forward and answers will come. In the meantime, evaluate your situation and stay safe. By that, I mean, if you are assisting elderly, then you need to be careful. If you're elderly yourself, ditto. We have to learn to protect ourselves from others, even family members for awhile.

This is a Chinese study that suggests it has mutated and that that ravaged Italy and NY and parts of the midwest are different than those that hit China and the western US. Makes sense to me but still questionable.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The Memphis protest had like three guys at it. It rained, and no one was invested enough in the protest to get wet. One of the three wasn’t even from here, he drove in from Fayette county.

The few protesters we do have in Tennessee are a nasty breed, however. Nashville had some chick with a sign that said “Sacrifice the Weak.” Sign went viral. I always wonder, don’t any of these people have elderly parents? Or do they just really not like them much?

OMG that's horrible. :( People like that, actually have friends and family that still speak to them? Oh wait, being stupid and unfeeling isn't just one isolated incident. :( And it's not just the elderly parents anymore. :( It's children, babies, essential workers, doctors/nurses, healthy 20-30-40-50 yos., deaths are touching everyone. :(

Definitely a lot of ignorance out there. I read the other day about a 5 month old dying from this. It’s very sad the total lack of compassion.

The thing is with that image of the beach: most of those groups are six feet apart. That's the "rule" in California, right? I know here in Washington the rule also states to not be within six feet of anyone, and to not go out with people that you don't live with. Well, in my twenties I lived in a couple different houses with 4-6 unrelated people. What are you gonna do? Stop everyone and ask for ID? I mean, it's impossible to enforce, most people won't obey it anyway, and like someone said upthread the paranoia isn't good for us at all. Being afraid of every person out there is bad.

I live in King County, WA. We've been locked down since March 11. It's not sustainable. With about 500 people per 100,000 testing positive (and that number is derived by only testing those with symptoms, so I concede it's not representational) it's pretty hard to strike a lot of fear into people. Out of those 6,000 people who tested positive (out of a population of 2.2 million,) 361 have died. 224 of those were over 80 YO.

It isn’t sustainable, but we’re talking about a microscopic virus that anyone is vulnerable to contracting and spreading through contact with another person possibly, without any knowledge of having the virus. Common sense should prevail by limiting possible contact through unnecessary mingling in society, until there’s a vaccine available. Going to the beach, or getting your nails done, isn’t really necessary. Reopening slowly, with strict guidelines and safety equipment (masks etc). Daily monitoring of the health of employees. Keeping track of who we have been in contact with, being mindful of the chance of contracting the virus through possible contact.

But you'd have to convince people that they are in fact in mortal danger.

The numbers just don't support that.

AND - that microscopic virus...you think you're vigilent enough to mitigate any possible contact for the 18 months that it will take to create a vaccination process? Because I don't think I am, and I live alone so I 100% control my environment.

Your numbers aren't the same as numbers elsewhere. Why are numbers in WA less bad? Early lockdown or less bad strain? Who knows. But the results in many other places (like NYC) are far more dire.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Yeah, the news..I can't watch it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Actual numbers of dead are more in NY, of course. Actual infection rate is higher, due to density. I wonder how much can be attributed to care-giver fatigue and lack of resources in NY too.

We've had several clusters in nursing homes/care facilities, and that accounts for a small discrepancy.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Here's a pic from Huntington Beach in CA from today. Yeah, I think people have given up on social distancing, at least at the beaches here. I grew up between HB and Newport Beach in CA and while this isn't crowded by many standards, I don't think folks are really obeying the rules here. No clue what that might mean but as a 70 year old, I kind of think I'm going to be staying home for a long time even though I'd love nothing better than to go to the beach. :'(

vp59jmnvwxyi.jpg

Going to the beach is against the current COVID19 restrictions where I live, so that's just not happening.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Yeah guess I can't talk. I'm kind of rebelious sometimes. I just want everyone to be ok. I was doing the washing the groceries too and now stopped and the leaving it to sit for a few days. Over it all. I feel I was a bit paranoid really about how clean everything was if I left the house. That is not good. I feel better I've let it go a bit now.

The little bit of rebel in me is shielded by the fact I can work from home. For those who need to go to the physical workspace, my employer is insisting on masks, gloves, physical distancing, hand washing sanitizing, etc. I will likely be the first to be disciplined for not using a mask, if I'm forced to move back there from my home office.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I went to the laundromat today and then to the store. I have plenty of food to last awhile, but was hoping they had toilet paper back in stock. This time, I decided to not try several stores as I know that if a store is out, they all are. No sense in putting myself at additional risk for no benefit whatsoever.

The toilet paper aisle here looks exactly the same as it has for well over a month now. What is surprising is that there are still 4 boxes of Kleenex remaining. It's a respiratory illness, so that doesn't make sense... anyway, no toilet paper and no paper towels either. And since some people didn't believe me last time, here's a photo for the skeptics:
    8e8zeuqo7ze3.jpg

Good grief!

If you get desperate enough to drive down here we’re starting to see normal supply in the outskirts of Memphis. I found both tp and paper towels at both Kroger and Walmart in Collierville. Still very low on cleaning products but I also managed to snag some bleach. This week’s shortage was meat - I guess there is a panic starting due to news about the plants closing, but chicken was entirely gone and other meat very scant.