penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    May 12th- 2.4 miles
    No stories just glad I got outside and did something

21.43/50.03 miles complete
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - Altras and all 0 drop shoes really, require building up to running any distance in them. It seems amazing to me that a few mm's would make such a difference but it definitely can. I have been running in them for many years now (not Altras) and don't have a problem much any more. Actually I have problems now with shoes with a drop greater than 4. I gave up on Altras because they all fit so weird and the sizing was so off for me. Topos are low drop (0 and 3 or 4) and seem to work much better for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    For me, I look for DOES IT COME IN WIDE first. That eliminates oooo like 97% of the shoes off the bat. After that, I look for neutral and does not require a third or fourth mortgage to buy. Finally, I look for the lowest drop I can get but by this point, I am normally down to one or fewer choices. :)

What the shoe LOOKS like ceased to be an option of concern decades ago because if a shoe comes in wide at all it will typically be only in one color/style.

I need new street shoes right now but I will have to wait until next pay period. I might get these even though they are pretty ugly:

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/product/mfcecv1-27622-m/mfcecsb

At $55 they are reasonably priced at least.
  • renydo2
    renydo2 Posts: 2,152 Member
    Options
    Got in 4 miles before the rain !!
    Brings me to 11 miles out of 40.
    Better pick up the pace a little huh?!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    We drop down a level of lockdown tonight - shops, hairdressers, and cafes, etc can open from tomorrow. And school is back next week (thank goodness). First things first though, my poor exhausted ‘let’s make the most of lockdown’ legs are booked for a massage tomorrow morning. Hallelujah!

And no cases again for a second day! Maybe we will get a 3rd day...
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I went to our local park which has a 1-mile trail loop and ran 5 loops after work yesterday. It's a hilly little trail mostly through the woods. I had to pause my watch a couple of times when I passed two women from the community that I knew and we chatted for a few minutes - with several feet of distance between us. Still, I prefer when no one is on the trail over there which is often the case.

This morning after my MM100 core workout and a Booty Band workout, I ran 3.23 miles in my neighborhood. It was 43F and drizzling rain but since I was quite warm from the workouts, I didn't mind stepping outside in it.
    What the shoe LOOKS like ceased to be an option of concern decades ago because if a shoe comes in wide at all it will typically be only in one color/style.

Same here - must have wide!

Welcome @maggiemills3162 !
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few different shoes in the past. I wore Saucony for quite a while then developed problems with them. I can't remember the exact model that was recommended to me at a fitting and it turned out to be very wrong for me - I had terrible tendonitis in my ankle/side of my foot. I saw a podiatrist and she told me that the support shoe was all wrong and I needed a neutral shoe. She made a few recs and I used New Balance 880s (I think) and Brooks Glycerin for a while. Then I tried the Brooks Ghost and I liked it better - it's a lighter shoe. I've stuck with the Ghosts for the past year or so because I'm afraid to mess around with it. Even though there appear to be no discounts on them ever.

Other than the ghosts, the only other shoes in my current rotation are two different pairs of Saloman trail shoes. One is a Speedcross gortex shoe and the other is a Supercross that is lighter weight and supposed to drain much better. I haven't tested the supercross a whole lot but I love the Speedcross. I also have Altras that I hate. They are zero drop and that did not work for me when I ran in them for longer distances. I had a lot of pain and hard recovery after doing 13+ miles in those so I won't wear them again.

Our shoe taste/fit sounds very similiar. I need to try the Saloman trail shoes. I currently run trails in Saucony. I ended up with them because they were on sale. I don't have any complaints with them though but next time I'm ready for a new pair I will have to check out the Salomans.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,997 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Those are pretty neat shoes.

Welcome to all the new runners! You'll love this very supportive and chatty group!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I LOVE MY SALOMON XR MISSIONS! OMG! Best shoes EVER!

@maggiemills3162 I also have Mizuno Waves. Amazing shoes! Also have Asics GT 2000. ALSO amazing. :)

@shanaber I did not know I was going to enter this room this morning with so much shoe talk - ya'll are killing me! I'm NOT GOING TO DO IT OKAY

@PastorVincent I'm with ya on the need for shoes to be reasonably priced. They are so fun and if I didn't have other responsibilities, I think I'd only ever run and buy shoes and hopefully remember to eat sometimes.

I did a pretty intense strength training session last night instead of run. Tonight is tutoring and school stuff, so I'll use it as rest and if I am OH SO FORTUNATE and if I am DISCIPLINED and MAKE the time, then I will run. Probably a short run, as I have been such a weekend warrior but I do really need to get back to focusing on running for longer periods of time without walking.

This actually begs the question, for me anyway... "Need to?" There is no rush, I don't know why I am worried about it. It just seems to matter a lot to me for some reason. Anyway, will have to listen to my body - we'll see.

Saturday, I'lll shoot for 16 miles. It is supposed to rain. Sounds like a great time, lol. I have been considering Nike's because Sally McRae is a Nike athlete and I love her instagram. But does Nike make a good stability shoe? And do they make one that is good for trails AND road? Hmmmm..... @shanaber I may have to redact my previous statement..........
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

@ContraryMaryMary we dropped down too here in Alabama. Monday most things opened with restrictions on how many people etc. Skip went to Fleet Feet Monday but called first to make an appointment and she had to sanitize her hands as she came in the door and they gave her a mask, though she had one in the car she forgot to grab. They are doing walk ins but her and the owners son are friends and he’s like an expert in trail shoes and that was what she was buying. Salons are opening with 50% capacity and masks for workers and customers. Skip called her hair girl and she had to rebook 140 cancelled appointments first so she has an appointment June 2nd. She is back to work at almost full hours but I’m still home and it looks like we will be for another 2 weeks. I work in a government owned building that is why, my company building never closed, I was there the other day and no masks required nothing.

The gym opened and Skip (she’s always somewhere right) started back with her personal training first thing in the morning 6 am I said was anything there, she laughed, yeah me and her.

You can get a great sale on the Launches when a new model comes out. I see them here at Academy all the time for under $100, new models are usually in the $120.00 range. I never care about color on mine either though if they tell me they have a girlie color in road shoes vs black I’ll take them. Skip brought me a great pair of Boston Launches that are blue with lobsters on them and I have red white and blue and things like that. Usually FF keeps to neutral colors. Trail shoes don’t stay clean for over a mile so whatever is the color I get there ha ha

@Teresa502 I tried Saucony when I first started to run, nope my knees hurt right away. The great thing about FF is they will take them back. Skip has put over 50 miles on shoes and took them back no box and no receipt. Full refund no problem.

@Camaramandy648 Skip has tried probably ever Nike shoe known to man she was a diehard Nike person. She finally had to stop buying them because she’d get maybe 200 miles out of them and the tops would tear, her knees would start to hurt, Achilles issues, they just didn’t hold up to her mileage.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Wow! Good job! 80's F is what it was the day I was pretty sure I was not going to make it the last three miles. It was horrid. Learned a lot of lessons that day. :)

@skippygirlsmom Excellent to know - I can't really deal with more injuries right now, lol. ;)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @PastorVincent . Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if changing shoe models during the week messes you up or helps you. I guess, as with everything else in running, there is no one answer that works for everyone.

Now my daughter has training shoes which are more cushioned and a work horse and will take a lot of miles and race shoes which are lighter and not made for day to day mileage. All New Balance but different models.

I’m the same as your daughter. Heavier durable NB for training, lighter ones for events.

Me three...

I'm fortunate to have a NB outlet close by and they usually give good deals.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate

May Total: 85k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Sunny and mid 40s F today with no wind to speak of. Legs were a little tired again today, but had no niggles until the last kilometer. Just a very pretty day to run. Now I need to go out and catch some trout.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH