• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,755 Member
    Options
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

Just curious. Why do people need barbershops? I cut my own hair for 5 years, and my wife continued for the next 32 years after that. She never stopped during the lockdown.

Perhaps because they don't have and don't want to develop that skill set or just don't want to do it? I mean do you change the oil in you vehicles, do your own taxes, lawn care, home repairs, etc.? I'm pretty sure there is some service you are paying for that others not specifically trained to perform that function are doing just like you are cutting your own hair.

I think the point of this post was more to address the 'But who needs barbers, I can do it myself' of the post it responded to.

and saying Yes you can do it yourself - other people can do other things themselves but dont go round saying why do you need accountants, lawn mower services etc, you could just do it yourself.

It wasnt a comment on the safety or neccesity or social distancing possibilities of each service - just a response to the 'I can do it myself, why doesnt everyone else' tone of the responded to post.

That's how it came across to me anyway.

Exactly
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Our state Supreme Court just struck down the governor's stay at home order. This means any business or restaurant can open up immediately.

Which state?

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    PA has required masks for a few weeks. I have read a few objections on FB, but everyone I've seen in the stores has been wearing one.

Grocery stores are still limited, which is frustrating. No rice, no pasta, limited cheese, and no TP, though paper towels are easily available.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    We've woken up this morning to a new level of freedom (I'm in New Zealand) - at midnight we went to "alert level 2"

Level 4 was full lockdown - supermarkets, pharmacies and medical centres open with restrictions, and a few other essential services were running. People had to stay home, no travel, only contact with those in your home (or your "bubble")

Level 3 was a slight easing - cafes and restaurants opened for takeaway only. Stores opening for click and collect or delivery services. Travelling within your region was okay.

Level 2 we now have restaurants open for table service again - groups of 10 or less. Shops can open, social distancing and hygiene measures in place. School will reopen on Monday. We can now travel again - looking forward to visiting my mum who is in another region and has been alone for 7 weeks! I have been talking to her lots, and ordering her groceries for delivery as she's in an at-risk group and taking all precautions.
    There are still restrictions on gatherings, so the kids' extra-curricular activities won't be starting face-to-face just yet. That will be reviewed in two weeks as we see how the case numbers progress.

(Those descriptions of levels are not complete lists, just a few things relevant to me)

Funny how today, for me, is actually just the same. I guess it will help when the kids head back to school next week, but I will continue to work from home. I am looking forward to taking the dog for a walk as we'd been requested to keep dogs on leash for all walks for level 3&4, so it'll be great to let her off at the beach or river for a run - except I think everyone else in town will probably have the same idea, and my dog hates crowds.
    My daughter is super excited to see her best friend today.

Fingers crossed (and hands washed) that our numbers stay low going forward.

What I don't understand is, if social distancing and hygiene measures are in place and groups are limited to 10, how do schools open? This is why we don't know when schools will reopen here. We have to follow the social distance guidelines, which is 10 or less. That is not a full school bus or classroom. They are even limiting staff to 10 at a time. Parks are open, but not playgrounds(in some cities). My city opened parks and playgrounds, but not restrooms. I don't understand...are we supposed to pee ourselves?

That's what the other side of the tree is for:)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We've woken up this morning to a new level of freedom (I'm in New Zealand) - at midnight we went to "alert level 2"

Level 4 was full lockdown - supermarkets, pharmacies and medical centres open with restrictions, and a few other essential services were running. People had to stay home, no travel, only contact with those in your home (or your "bubble")

Level 3 was a slight easing - cafes and restaurants opened for takeaway only. Stores opening for click and collect or delivery services. Travelling within your region was okay.

Level 2 we now have restaurants open for table service again - groups of 10 or less. Shops can open, social distancing and hygiene measures in place. School will reopen on Monday. We can now travel again - looking forward to visiting my mum who is in another region and has been alone for 7 weeks! I have been talking to her lots, and ordering her groceries for delivery as she's in an at-risk group and taking all precautions.
    There are still restrictions on gatherings, so the kids' extra-curricular activities won't be starting face-to-face just yet. That will be reviewed in two weeks as we see how the case numbers progress.

(Those descriptions of levels are not complete lists, just a few things relevant to me)

Funny how today, for me, is actually just the same. I guess it will help when the kids head back to school next week, but I will continue to work from home. I am looking forward to taking the dog for a walk as we'd been requested to keep dogs on leash for all walks for level 3&4, so it'll be great to let her off at the beach or river for a run - except I think everyone else in town will probably have the same idea, and my dog hates crowds.

What I don't understand is, if social distancing and hygiene measures are in place and groups are limited to 10, how do schools open? This is why we don't know when schools will reopen here. We have to follow the social distance guidelines, which is 10 or less. That is not a full school bus or classroom. They are even limiting staff to 10 at a time. Parks are open, but not playgrounds(in some cities). My city opened parks and playgrounds, but not restrooms. I don't understand...are we supposed to pee ourselves?

It is strange, I agree. Really I wonder if it's more that in order for people to return to work, kids need to go back to school. Or is that just me being cynical??

My kids'schools have various changes in place - no assemblies, assigned seating, extra spacing of desks etc. But still, there will be 25+ kids in a classroom together all day. And lots of them playing together at break times.
    And I am waiting to see how the high school is handling moving classrooms for each subject. Do they clean in between etc? I know they have installed hand sanitizer dispensers to be used going in and out. And any kids with a sign of being unwell will be sent straight home.

Our city council has advised that public toilets are also open - cleaning twice a day. I would aim to avoid them anyway, but good to know they are there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

I suppose the theory is you are not suppossed to be in a park long enough to need the toilet.

Parks were open here too but playgrounds within them were taped off. So it was ok to go for a walk or jog through the park or to sit by yourself /members of your household on a bench - but not for children ( or adults - the adults fitness equipment was taped off too) to gather on equipment or have lots of bodies touching equipment.
    Same logic as gyms, I suppose.

Outdoor playgrounds/ fitness equipment are un taped and ok to use here now in stage 1 of road to recovery.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I suppose the theory is you are not suppossed to be in a park long enough to need the toilet.

Parks were open here too but playgrounds within them were taped off. So it was ok to go for a walk or jog through the park or to sit by yourself /members of your household on a bench - but not for children ( or adults - the adults fitness equipment was taped off too) to gather on equipment or have lots of bodies touching equipment.
    Same logic as gyms, I suppose.

Outdoor playgrounds/ fitness equipment are un taped and ok to use here now in stage 1 of road to recovery.

Weirdly enough, they did the same thing here - left parks open but closed facilities at them - and then apparently the city noticed that people still needed to go, so rather than arrest everybody for indecent exposure, they added portapotties and posted the location of the new portapotties on the covid site! So, let me get this straight, using a fully functional restroom is unsafe, but sharing a four by four foot fully enclosed space with no way to wash your hands afterwards is somehow safe. Got it.

Portapotties are cleaned and supplied by the rental company. Fully functional bathrooms need to be cleaned and supplied by the city or county and they probably don't have enough personnel to do that. That is my opinion, but I also agree with your reasoning.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Usually they have hand sanitizer with portapotties too, although I also think that seems weird.

We also have (most) parks open but playground sections closed off. Facilities are closed, but it seems not that hard just to plan so no bathroom is needed. There are tons of local parks here, so people likely aren't too far from their homes anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Our state Supreme Court just struck down the governor's stay at home order. This means any business or restaurant can open up immediately.

Not a surprise, but I am so disappointed. Madison was already ramped up this week; who knows what it will become like now?

I'm social distancing, wearing a mask inside stores (only the grocery store, about once every 10 days; one outing to a pet store every month). I work from home and take daily walks at the dog parks, where it's easy to be at least 6 feet from others. I tried my local trail (out my door, basically) yesterday but it was too busy. Most people walking with another person (or more than 1 other) do not walk single file, although I noticed some moms with kids on bikes who did that. If everyone walked single file on their side of the trail, it would basically be 6 feet or more for the entire 3.5 mile loop. But apparently that's too much to consider. I get pretty irritated b/c it is such a simple thing to do. I passed anywhere from 75 to 100 people--outrageously above the usual, non-Covid traffic. I don't begrudge anyone the need to get outside, especially now that our weather is finally decent. But c'mon, folks; move over and walk single file when passing others. It's not rocket science.

I'm mostly concerned about a few people in my life and all the folks who will be put at risk b/c they *must* go back to work or have no income whatsoever. The truth is that reopening greatly increases the risk for those most AT risk, and these are the same folks who will not be able to claim unemployment if they don't go back to work. What a clusterf*ck. These folks do not have a real choice and that is so, so wrong.

I imagine my nearby state park is quite busy as well, but due to the dog poop on the main trails >.< I started using a back entrance a few years back and hardly ever see people in that section.

I've been too busy gardening lately to go there, but maybe I'll go today as it is super nice out.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    That's what the other side of the tree is for:)

My only regret about being female is due to males' ability to pee discretely in the woods :lol:
    Do a search for GoGirl. Still not the same ease as a male, but definitely easier!