WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I am writing a paper ...

'Misinformation as It Pertains to Interactive Digital Media' and written with COVID-19 in mind.

Thus I am reading several interesting articles on this subject!

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback. I would rather like to see when dog is out so I can know if he gets loose. With a tall fence I would have no warning.They are renters so I could contact the owner of the property too. They have small children in the home too so I do worry for them. As I said I had a neighbor who had one visiting that turned on one of their dogs. He would have killed their dog had the owner not stopped him. It just makes me sad to see a dog get like this. You are right it is how the owner treats the dog that turns them into acting like this.

I also read having a pop up umbrella is a good defensive tool. You want to keep something between you and the dog if the are trying to attack. I have a good one I will keep handy when I am in the yard. Overall the yard has a good fence around it except for the smaller cement wall that is the neighbors that is the weak point I will have to think about making it harder to defend.

At most I am only in the yard an hour a day. Son is in and out of his backyard several times a day. He is aware and will now be more cautious if dog is out.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- we walked to the beach and back. 3 km.

3abg66xu6ps1.png

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Still living on the high from yesterday. <3 I'm a bit preoccupied by the idea of the kids going back to school tomorrow. It's earlier than the bulk of kids, because my DDIL is a key worker. Previously both parents had to be key workers to get a school place, now only one of them. Max and Edie have three days and Bea has two. It obviously means we have to be extra careful about our exposure to them. :/ Our area has very low transmission at the moment, but opening up could change that.
    My son says he may have to go up to London this week. He has a mask etc, but it's worrying.

On the good side my brother turned up at the rally and found 6 adults and a child. :D He said it was nice to get out! The anti everything people are sending out stuff on Facebook etc about meetings and rallies, which don't actually happen. The only one that did happen was in London. He had a lovely birthday on Friday. I've talked more to him recently than I normally do!

I might go out for a run after lunch. If the seafront looks too crowded we can head back inland. We will go down the lagoon end. It's not blazingly hot, so people might keep away.

I haven't slept well the last two nights. I will try hard to keep awake today and hope for better luck tonight. Tandoori chicken and AF beer.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Small dog owners - I need suggestions for a harness they absolutely can't pull out of. The talk about pit bulls yesterday reminded me I used to love walking our little dogs up and down our road until the neighbor a few doors down got a pit bull and would keep it on a chain where it would lunge and bark when it saw my little guys.

Little Rosie especially would squirm and manage to Houdini out of her harness, so I eventually gave up. Too scary for both of us. I've tried several harnesses. Maybe there's something new.

I rarely see that dog chained out anymore and it would be good to get Rosie in the exercise mode again if the coast is clear. I discovered DH has really been piling on the treats and she needs to lose a pound or two.

Carol
    - I meant to comment a few days ago how neat it is that your son will be going back to work at the restaurant. <3 I've seen so many great ideas about eating places doing well-spaced inside seating and continuing carry out, and reminders to tip generously. Some of the nicer restaurants around here have been offering really nice carry-out since the close downs. Yes, they are expensive but the portions are very generous and older folks are getting 3 or 4 meals out of each huge serving.

Woke up too early this morning. I did some Agatha Raisin binge-watching yesterday. (On the Acorn channel via Amazon Prime). So I dreamed I was living in Agatha's house with Charles Fraith and eventually discovered that our Karen in VA had set up a clinic in the basement and laughed at me and said she'd had it there for quite a while....and I hadn't noticed? :D Good gravy! I got up and took an alka seltzer and felt much better.

I think it's going to be a super day. Let's make it so! <3

Lanette
    Heading out for early morning shopping in a bit in SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Hanging out watching the birds and having my cup.of tea..with Alfie tucked in next to me...ahhhhhh
    Might have to head to the hardware store for hand held shovel and rake
    I know I have a set somewhere but I really have to repot some of my plants..
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am writing a paper ...

'Misinformation as It Pertains to Interactive Digital Media' and written with COVID-19 in mind.

Thus I am reading several interesting articles on this subject!

Machka in Oz

More on this ...

25 days until I finish the 2 courses I am taking this semester.
    3 assignments and 1 exam to go!
    I need focus! 🧐🤓

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to finish that paper above tomorrow if at all possible.

Machka in Oz
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Marybeth > Thank you and yes I will :) I just have to think about them!! It will happen!! We can all do it! :)

SuziQ > Love the *kitten* whisperer :)

I don't like any type of seafood but I will tell you that meal looks so good ;) its like art on a plate!!

RV Rita > So sorry to hear about what is going on with your brother :(

Allergies suck! My husband has it really bad and he uses those nasal stuff to unblock your nose far too much.. I always tell him its not good to use them so much but .. ugh men! lol Congrats on your new sewing machine :) I have one as well but I only really use it for making rat hammocks and stuff for my rat babies..lol

Karen > Thank you so much for your post about my Dad. I really appreciate it and it made me feel better x I know it is something that will never go away but I know it will get better. I am always ugly crying these days .. ugh

Barbara > Im not really sure, just asked my husband and he thinks it might be Belton house in Lincolnshire. I am Canadian so don't remember alot of these places we have been..lol He is the English one ;) xx

Rebecca > It sounds like you had a wonderful relationship with your father. My mother was married once before my father and had my brother and sister. She met my Dad and he became an instant father when he was like 19. He raised my brother and sister when they were 3 and 5 and then had me and my other brother..lol He would make mistakes like any father but was a good man. even though your Dad lost that father status, it sounds like he was still a really good friend to you. Parenting does not come easy to everyone :)

Michele
    > Sorry hun, I think she is putting them in as she makes them, not after the fact. Not sure what can be done if the mask is already made.

So happy to hear of all the family/friend visits that have been happening with social distancing in place ;)

Welcome to any new people I may have missed!!

Have lost 1 lb this week! I was a little disappointed at the mere pound and not sure why it was only a pound considering nothing has changed in my eating etc. Still a pound and I will take it! at least it is going in the right direction. That is 70 lbs loss so far :)

Randie the ballerina :)

cbtotzan3ee4.jpg
    3zwhx5vo3fh4.jpg
    6dm2etr6d5vu.jpg
    69o0hvi19ma6.jpg
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Tracey in Edmonton - thank you for those scales, I didnt realize how much more the US was ahead of everyone, and they still went ahead and opened a lot of places this weekend, I think this was a big mistake.
  • BeUncommon
    Options
    Jaxsgma > Yeah the US has been hit the worst... I totally agree with you that they are opening up things far too soon. I think we are opening some things to soon as well... ugh

Tonya UK xx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    So we were not allowed to meet friends or family outside of our abodes for 2 months. i had to give a friend a flash drive today and then we walked a few blocks to a quiet bench to sit and then talked a good while and then walked some more. it was a great treat after 2 months w no live meetings. meeting another friend tomorrow for a walk. of course: with masks, no touching, keeping a meter distance both times.

:) How great that you can finally get out more. Not a day has passed that I have failed to be grateful for my sparsely populated rural neighborhood with wide private roads that has allowed me to walk with a friend and my dogs for hours every day. I am not close enough to any business to shop without going by car, but I can be outdoors.

:) It is raining today which would have been good for my zucchini seeds if I hadn't been too lazy to plant them yesterday. It is still early in the planting season here so I'll get to them soon.

:) It has helped us that we eat the same things all the time. It's easy to make a shopping list and be confident that we'll get all we need to last for three weeks. It has helped keep my weight in control to not be buying "goodies" for myself.

:)Heather, I have trouble sleeping at least two nights a week. I just remind myself that I don't have to go to work in the morning so if I'm a bit droopy, it won't matter. Then I read the book on the e reader on my phone reminding myself that reading is one of my favorite things to do.

:) Jake and I are fortunate that we are introverts and don't have terribly close relationships with any relatives so we're not missing being with anyone during this shelter in place time. We each have a few friends that we are in touch with by phone or text or e mail. I have two friends that I meet to walk in my neighborhood.

:) I just listened to a podcast that talked about the research that shows that gratitude will make you feel a lot happier than grumbling or complaining.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Happy Sunday! I had a busy day yesterday, with shopping in the morning, then some yard work (weeding) and some breaking down of tree limbs (smaller branches) and burning them in our fire pit. The last chore was kind of nice, as I had Colin (my youngest, age 26) out there with me. We started at 6pm and built the fire; adding wood as the fire burned down. We ended up sitting by the fire until 10 and talking about everything. We still have quite a bit to cut up and burn. So this will be our "chore" for the next couple of weeks, I think. Friday, after my last kiddo was picked up, I grilled chicken (shish tawouk) and roasted some potatoes on the grill. It was a nice dinner. Then we took the roof off Colin's jeep, it was sunny and in the high 60s. Colin and I then went for the first "open jeep" ride through the down town area and along the shore. We then headed up to the north shore and parked at the pier parking and walked the north pier. It was lovely. I am so grateful to have this time with my youngest. My daughter Lauren has called me a couple of times this weekend, once while I was out in the jeep and the other time last night while we were working in the back yard. She has been more than a little annoyed that I am spending time with him, rather than talking to her. (She and I talk at LEAST twice a day) I told her that if she wants to spend more time with me; move back to Michigan. lol She had a rough night Friday. She has been working from home; but last week she needed to go into the office three days. The boys are back at their daycare each day, so that she can get work done and go to the office when she needs to. Anyway, after working all day Friday, she was looking forward to just relaxing with the boys that night. lol Joaquin had other plans. While my son in law was mowing the lawn, Joaquin went into the back yard and played in a corner of the yard that was already mowed. Lauren went out to get him and found him playing with the dogs poop. lol She of course, did a bit of scolding and marched him off to the tub to get him washed up. She put him on the potty before she put him in the tub, and he made no deposits. THEN...he stood in the tub while the warm water ran, and peed in the tub. Exasperated, she got him out, drained the tub and refilled it. She put him in and washed him up and then let him play for a few minutes. She stepped out into the hallway to talk to her husband for a minute, then turned back into the bathroom and Joaquin had pooped in the tub. lol She had called me Friday to vent and I wasn't available, right away. She was not happy with me (probably because I laughed through her entire telling of the story). I sympathize, and I told her so; but those days of "relaxing without wondering what your young child is doing" are over, unless she is on a vacation away from them. I reminded her of the all of the times that I left her unsupervised for a few minutes/moments only to find chaos when I checked on her. (flushed fish down toilet, flushed candy wrappers down toilet, broke toilet, broke 2 microwaves, started a fire in the nursery while brother was sleeping, brought frogs into her bedroom and let them "live" in her jewelry box, the "baby powder volcano" incident at a really nice hotel...)

Okay, that was a lot about me/my kids. Sorry for the ramble.
    Tonya- Your photos are lovely. My heart is with you in regards to losing your dad. I agree with the others. We all need time to grieve and there are no time limits. With time, you will be able to function a little easier every day. Be kind to yourself. IF it hurts too much to speak to your family about him, try writing what you are feeling. IN a journal or in letters to your family. It has been 27 years since I lost my mother and my father. I still have days/moments when the grief rises to the top and makes me more emotional than normal. ON those days, I let myself cry, veg out, do whatever I need to do to release the feelings. Hug and love to you!
    SuzyQ- lol the "*kitten* Whisperer". If I wasn't afraid of offending my husband, I would put this on a t-shirt and wear it daily! I love him; but I do a considerable amount of eye rolling when we are discussing politics and current events. (I know he does the same in regards to me; so he could probably wear the shirt as well). Your watermelon drink looks yummy; so does your dinner.
    Margaret- I am with Pip on the dog situation. The dog/dog owner is within his rights. The dog might not be overly aggressive; he may just be under-exercised, untrained, and under-supervised. If I were you, I would definitely speak with the dog owners. I would write them a nice (non-accusatory) note about how when you are in your back yard, you seem to be upsetting their dog unnecessarily, and that barking dogs make you a bit fearful (not a bad thing to state, as many people are afraid of dogs). Would it be possible to set up a schedule for dog's outdoor time? And you could then work around the dogs schedule? Just a thought. As my mom always said, "you catch more flies with honey". The neighbors might be more amenable to someone who came to them with a problem and a solution to it...
    Carol/Peach- Getting out DOES make us feel so much better. I am finding that I don't get a headache anymore when I have to wear my mask. That tells me, that perhaps the headache was coming more from the stress associated with going out and having to wear it; rather than re-breathing my own breath.
    Barbie -Glad you got your cable figured out!
    Lisa- Hugs to you in dealing with all of the ways this shut down is affecting your job. Just keep breathing.
    Heather - I love to see your "dinners" with the family. I agree, having the kids going back to school (and being exposed to a larger circle of contact/germs) is an added "worry". It will be nice, when we can all ease up a bit and get/give hugs. I am eternally grateful for the little people in my life on a daily basis. I find their hugs are even more precious to me now, that I can't give them to my loved ones that don't live with me. Human touch is vital and fundamental to our emotional well being.

Well, it is a rainy day, so I will do my food prep and house cleaning. Just heard the dryer/timer buzz...off I go! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Tonya and Mary Beth - You may be right about the opening up, it's scary, but the US is 9th for deaths in the world per million population. UK is 4th. :/ In both countries it varies greatly by region. The US has 5 times the population of the UK.

I went out for my 5k because there was a chilly breeze to keep the tourists away. Lovely! Not too busy, but still people out enjoying themselves. A couple of wind surfers. People huddled on the beach in padded anoraks. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Funny lol the future

https://youtu.be/udzHhqkES_M

Amber Tx

Same foods as yesterday pretty much y exercise holding on to that 55lb weight loss it’s my new plateau looks like yeah!!!
  • BeUncommon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Kelly > Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your son :) The first jeep ride without the roof sounds so nice :) Don't apologise for ramblings.. we all like a good ramble :)

Thank you very much for your kind words about my Dad (((hugs))) I am just taking it day by day and his memory keeps me strong to continue with my weight-loss journey x

Heather UK > Yeah that is true about the difference in population. My husband always clarifies that to me when I speak of things happening here compared to Canada etc.. The population is so much higher here!

Amber > Yes that is funny!!! I only lost one pound this week also and it was quite disappointing. I hope it is not some kind of plateau. I might have to shake things up a bit to get it started again. 55 lbs is an amazing loss.. You are doing fantastic!!

Tonya UK xx

Randie and flowers..lol

9s7n4fnqdh2c.jpg
    bf3xzs8tckkc.jpg
    deetevbfc9ar.jpg
    0inv023cj362.jpg

• Jaxsgma
    Options
    Tonya UK - Beautiful pictures.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Tonya- I’ve always been a Yo-yo 🪀 weight I get to a range stick there within 3lbs always. I don’t mind plateaus but don’t like long ones lol.

Here’s a nice video the respectful man is a food critic he shows the restaurant he’s eating at. He keeps his mask on until foods in front of him y ready to eat he sat outside. He supports Doordash to Uber eat type Buisnesses even newer types to become a thing. His voice sure is soothing tones he could do radio 📻.
    https://youtu.be/5Wpw1JpVRVs
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Good morning ☀️

I’m new to this thread and just wanted to say hi 👋. My name is Ehren and mfp username is strgzrlily. I’m 51, live in central Florida and have 65 pounds to lose. I’m using Atkins and intermittent fasting. Ten years ago I reached my goal weight but now it’s all back 😞. I can do this!

Fall nine times, rise TEN!

Make today your b i t c h ladies!!!!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Welcome strgzilky - what’s your name? We sure will it’s a great day for exercising to eating right!

Walking trail at Disney same guy as previous so sweet he brought extra masks Incase he sees someone in need.

https://youtu.be/fq_rhMJ4c4w

Amber Tx
  • Jaxsgma
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi Heather UK and Tonya UK - Not only are places opening up too soon, but people are ignoring the social distancing and wearing masks. Its just crazy, they have some law enforcers trying to get people to social distance, but not everyone is doing so, and they have had people fight about it. They don't understand that this is for their own good. Yes, I want to go out, but I also want to make sure everything is safe. With more and more cases and people dying each day, I'll just stay put...

Right before this all happened, I had plans to leave for Ireland May 31. Not going now, afraid of being on a plane, with the tight quarters. Ireland will be there, it might take a year or two to go, but Ill make it.

MaryBeth in OHio