WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather France's cheeses are rotting for lack of consumers, especially the soft, runny kinds that don't keep well. You are going to have to step up and help your adoptive heartland out by eating more stinky cheeses quick.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    Options
    Catching up slowly.
    Page 55
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
    F
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) It was raining enough this morning that Sasha was soaked and my friend opted to go home early. My 9:30 walking friend texted that she didn't want to walk in the rain. I thought the rain had slowed so I went for a walk by myself but it kept getting worse so after 30 minutes I came home. I have wet clothes hanging all over the house. The weather was better for the afternoon dog walk so we walked for 35 minutes. The ground was too wet to make working in the yard satisfactory so I've spent most of the day indoors. Thank goodness I have my exercise bike and lots of podcasts to listen to so I had an active and entertaining afternoon. Jake did all the laundry and I folded it and he made chicken with bbq sauce in the slow cooker. It has been a productive day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    We got a real soaker today. Enjoyed potting up my plants.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Quick hop on! Margaret- I meant no offense in regards to the dog. Just thought I'd maybe put a little light on a different perspective. Of course, you are there and can feel the tone/aggression; so you need to do what is best! Love and hugs to you! Stay safe!
    It rained ALL DAY here; so I food prepped and made a treat for my daycare kiddos lunch, tomorrow. It is meatless Monday; so I made two focaccia breads, that I will serve with hummus and some fruit. They turned out very nicely. Quite pleased.
    Well, T2G2B (time to go to bed). ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – thanks for posting that link. Wow! St. Kitts is doing really well. Wonder why they have such a low incidence? What are they doing right?

Michele NC

St. Kitts is a small island. Islands have moats. We pull up the drawbridge, as it were, and contain. :) As an island and with a relatively small population, it's reasonably easy to trace where the cases came from and follow their spread.

It's a similar thing with Tasmania.

zapsihficbym.png

rjp5ali0085m.png

Machka in Oz
  • CoffeeandHumblePie
    CoffeeandHumblePie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm jumping in for the first time. I have not been following my plan at all for the last couple months and I've watched my weight creep up. I decided it was time to log in and get re-motivated!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Jacque
    Central Minnesota
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Lanette, nice photo! 40 years ago we almost didn't graduate because of it! I remember the old man in the cabin that stayed.😧 I miss the ice cream cone!💖
    💖Rebecca

We have a winner!! Great job Rebecca!! Yes, Harry Truman and Spirit Lake. <3

That earlier photo I posted was of Mt. St. Helens the day before she blew 40 years ago at 8:32 am on May 18th. And here's the eruption:

7499emalu5ac.jpg

We were living east of Seattle at the time - weren't aware of the blast except our masonry fireplace cracked and a very light sprinkling of ash fell in our neighborhood. Today we live 50 miles away from the crater as the crow flies, both that and Mt. Rainer which is in Pip's back yard. On clear mornings I can see them from the end of our road when I take my walk.

A friend of ours (here in our County) was laying shingles on his roof that morning, and witnessed it with an unobstructed view.

Rebecca - any more memories of the event? Ash all over? Katla? how about you?

Karen... an emerald? Were you hiding that in the basement? :D It's beautiful. :)

Lanette
    SW WA State
    Helenite lol

Score!!!! I thought for a minute it might be Mt. St. Helens Glass. <3B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Washington State has several stunning snow-capped mountains. Here's a photo of one:

4aya1tku5teh.jpg

Folks who traveled on I-5 in this area have probably seen it. Any guesses?

Lanette
    SW WA State

That is St. Helens, I believe. 40th anniversary tomorrow.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    jacque - welcome!

Michele NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options

We were living east of Seattle at the time - weren't aware of the blast except our masonry fireplace cracked and a very light sprinkling of ash fell in our neighborhood. Today we live 50 miles away from the crater as the crow flies, both that and Mt. Rainer which is in Pip's back yard. On clear mornings I can see them from the end of our road when I take my walk.

Lanette
    SW WA State

Yes. On a clear day, when I am heading up I-5 toward Portland, I can see Hood, Adams, and St. Helens. 3 volcanoes, in one view. There can't be very many places in the world where that is the case.

Because I was in Eugene in 1980, we didn't get a lot of ash, but my grandmother lived in Toppenish, in the Yakima Valley, and she was inundated with ash -- my mother probably still has some in a jar that my grandmother gave us.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    8dgakotfsvzd.jpeg
    m52zxly2jzze.jpeg

Hi Jacque!! Waves 🌊

Did my measurements since starting unaided sit-ups 60 on top of my exercise routine which includes 10 pushups now too I lost 1 inch in my waist. I putting calories one by one tediously by hand 🖐 lost 2lbs so a 55lb weight loss so far. Hopefully if I keep this up in a few months maybe another inch can shed off.

Amber Tx

Daughter bought The newest Scooby Doo on her Youtube account for JR to watch. He was so happy. Watched it even in his toy chest,
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka :love: “For the longest time” especially the Lysol wipes container percussion ;)

It's got a lot of little quirks like that ... :) Like the guy getting the haircut all the way through. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    That earlier photo I posted was of Mt. St. Helens the day before she blew 40 years ago at 8:32 am on May 18th.

Lanette
    SW WA State

OK ... that made me feel old!!

Kind of like when I think back to how long ago my HS grad was ... 35 years!!

I don't feel 53 years old ... most days.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited May 2020
    Options
    61m52p8ol6b7.png

Jump right in ... but don't feel like you've got to reply to everything if you don't want. There are often several threads of conversations going on and many of us post what we're up to lately.

A little bit about me ...

I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now) working toward a Masters in IT, doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies.

This is Rhody ... an all black, 8-month old "domestic" who joined us just 2 months ago. :)

lzhl6a74e516.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks.

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university has taken its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: This year I have maintained my weight but I'd really like to lose a bit.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)

Machka in Oz
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now), doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.
  • Machka9
    Options
    wbkxcveuqk0b.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette & Rebecca: Mt St Helens erupted 5/18/1980. We lived in Tualatin back then and our kids were little. The man who stubbornly stayed in his house despite warnings from officials about the impending eruption, was Harry Truman—not to be mistaken with the former US President. Harry Truman died in his house on the mountain. My husband’s uncle died in Eastern Oregon just at that time and DH took our son to the memorial services. DH had to stop along the way to clean the ash out of his car’s engine air filter. Our daughter and I stayed home. We had hundreds of pounds of ash on our roof and in our gutters, from the eruption. So did all the neighbors. The ash lasted for a long while. :noway: As the days went by and the air settled we began scooping the ash out of the gutters. It was a long project and the ash was very heavy. :flowerforyou: The Gift shop at Multnomah Falls had beautiful blue earrings for sale that were made from that ash for years after the eruption. I didn’t buy any. I think they called the stones Helenite. :wink: I currently live in a town named after the mountain and have a view of it from my windows on nice days.

Lanette: Thanks for the photo of the eruption. :heart:

(((Kim))) I hope you get your richly deserved pay. :star

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,539 Member
    Options
    Lanette. My mom and stepfather worked in downtown Portland, so luckily they left before it got really bad ash wise. It turned dark though, and many were stuck because their air filters were clogged. We had ash drifts here and there in Gresham. I was more concerned about graduation festivities, but I remember watching the news and seeing all the tree blown down all one way, from the blast. It was horrific!
    💖Rebecca