WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: You are in a tough spot relative to the renters with an aggressive dog. In your situation I would talk to the landlord and see what remedies might be possible. I remember an old saw from Robert Frost—"Good fences make good neighbors.” It goes on from there, but this is the essential bit. :star:

Machka: You live in a beautiful location. :star:

Heather: Our governor is starting to open some things. The county fair is still not on the agenda. All those kids with 4H animals will not be able to sell them and put money into their college accounts. Some things are just not fair. Adults can now drink in a bar or tavern, only so many at a time and social distances kept, but kids can’t exhibit and sell their 4H animals at the county fair because there won’t be a county fair. :grumble:

Lanette: Are there dog harnesses small enough for your dogs? I use a roller leash on our dog. I can connect it to his collar and loop it around his chest. It is safe and keeps him from pulling too hard. :flowerforyou:

Had a lovely call from our son today. He would like us to come and visit him in VA. DH is unwilling to travel and offered to send me on my own. I’m not willing to leave him at home.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,113 Member
    Options
    I walked again.yay!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you Karen and Katla I looked up the owner of property and it is an organization. It looks like these neighbors may be moving out soon. I figured out I will put a big potted plant on that wall to further slow the dog down and will always keep son's gate shut in the meantime. I will also carry an umbrella and mace. Chances are the dog will not bother us again because it will sense I will not be a victim. The dog is a bully and bullies look for those who are vulnerable. Good lesson for me because I have never had a dog go after me before and I did not know what to do to protect myself. Now I do. I feel like I just missed a major car accident that is why I am reacting this way. Also I am already on edge because all I have gone through with our son this year.

I figure it is like being a proactive driver in the sense you watch out for the driver's that are not driving safely. Watching out for dogs that are not safe to be around just be aware and have what you need to protect yourself. In the meantime I will enjoy all the wonderful dogs that are out there to be around.

Maybe once they move son and I can get serious about finding a dog for him.

Time to get on with other things and go plant some planters to add to our and son's yard. I went to the nursery today in pouring rain because I thought it would keep the crowds down and I was right.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip That looks like Shangri la! So pretty.

>>>
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Lanette, nice photo! 40 years ago we almost didn't graduate because of it! I remember the old man in the cabin that stayed.😧 I miss the ice cream cone!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Pip That looks like Shangri la! So pretty.

>>>

I agree! The grass is so gree!

Carol

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Harry Truman!💖. Tough old character, that stood his ground.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Lanette. jgkacrn8prox.png
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Annie-Way 2Go!

Amber Tx

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Karen - The care home situation was a scandal and, in my opinion, amounts to manslaughter. No doubt an inquiry will go into it all eventually. :/;)
    My son and DDIL have done a great job, dividing up the childcare and home schooling between them all these weeks. They have been doing two and a half days each, but my son officially has a full time job, so has been getting up at 6 to put in an hour or two on his non working days. Then doing some more at night after a day home schooling. It will be a relief to have some school time. My DDIL has been doing video counselling from her work shed 9-5 on her work days. My son may have to go up to London this week.
    With all this they have been keeping up with exercise, cycling, cross training, swimming in the sea. My DDIL biked 45 miles before the picnic and my son the same the next day. They have both shown more grit than I ever had. <3

Max is now writing and organising a family Zoom quiz, which will involve the other grandparents as well. Date to be announced.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Margaret: Keep the mace with you to protect yourselves from the aggressive dogs until you know for sure the bad neighbors have moved away. Your ideas about the big potted plant might work out. I hope so, but I have no personal experience. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    Katla - there are two 4H clubs that I see postings for and both had online sales for the youth to sell.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Lanette, nice photo! 40 years ago we almost didn't graduate because of it! I remember the old man in the cabin that stayed.😧 I miss the ice cream cone!💖
    💖Rebecca

We have a winner!! Great job Rebecca!! Yes, Harry Truman and Spirit Lake. <3

That earlier photo I posted was of Mt. St. Helens the day before she blew 40 years ago at 8:32 am on May 18th. And here's the eruption:

7499emalu5ac.jpg

We were living east of Seattle at the time - weren't aware of the blast except our masonry fireplace cracked and a very light sprinkling of ash fell in our neighborhood. Today we live 50 miles away from the crater as the crow flies, both that and Mt. Rainer which is in Pip's back yard. On clear mornings I can see them from the end of our road when I take my walk.

A friend of ours (here in our County) was laying shingles on his roof that morning, and witnessed it with an unobstructed view.

Rebecca - any more memories of the event? Ash all over? Katla? how about you?

Karen... an emerald? Were you hiding that in the basement? :D It's beautiful. :)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    By the way, if anyone is interested, Mount St. Helens Institute on Facebook has a lot of pictures and stories about the eruption. And there are many other Facebook pages about it right now.

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

Zwift bike trainer- 40.35min, 21.6amph, 137ahr, 160mhr, 14.59mi= 380c
    Apple Watch- 323c
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Everyone have a great evening, and I will see you all on here tomorrow.

MaryBeth
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I had a Jane Fonda video. Well, Vince made a DVD of it for me. I did that DVD today. You should have seen the hair!!! The clothing!!! The leg warmers!!! What a trip! The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD. I’m getting to the point where I have done most of the DVD’s that I had put aside for some reason, now I’m going thru them all and deciding which I’ll keep and which I’ll get rid of.

Tracey – I’ve tried other flavors for the “pops” and they just don’t have the flavor that orange has. I think orange is more intense. You CAN use other flavors, I just don’t know how intense the flavor will be. Right now I’ve found Greek yogurt to be best. I’ve even made it in my IP and drained it more, so it’s even thicker. Years ago when I first made them, they didn’t have Greek yogurt. But I do find that Greek seems to be better. Try these, I bet you’ll like them in the orange.

M – thanks for posting that link. Wow! St. Kitts is doing really well. Wonder why they have such a low incidence? What are they doing right?

KJ – well, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Thanks for the smile

Ehren – welcome! A friend of mine in Titusville FL said that the gyms will be opening Monday. Will they by you?

Mary Beth OH – I agree, people are getting a little too lax. Reminds me of the saying “give them an inch and they’ll take a mile”

Vince got the cover made for the one outlet, I told him he needed to put away his Christmas ceramics (yes, they were still on the mantle) because Jess would want to use the table where we have the bisq to be painted. So if he would put away the items that are done, we can put the bisq there. He actually did it! Did a few other things outside and started on our Christmas tree skirt.

Barbara – I’m going to try paperclipping a pleat. I’m not sure if this is how you did it, but what I did was take a paperclip and straightened it. Then I put that under one of the pleats. The next time I’m in a store we’ll see if it will hold its shape. I’m thinking that this’ll work. Thanks for the idea. I wish our pastor would have kept us more in the loop. Maybe a monthly email just saying something about what they’re thinking they’ll do. The first time I got an email from the church since the middle of March was last week. Oh, that’s right, there was something about a service for Easter. But nothing from the church since then. Last week there was something about an outdoor service (no mention of where) and if it went well, there would be another this week. But no mention of whether it went well or not. Well, to be honest, I went every week but after this I probably won’t go unless I’m lecturing or Eucharistic Minister since I can’t see going and then not being able to get in. Being lector or EM I know I'm assured of getting in even if I'm running late

Michele NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,778 Member
    Options
    Beth, no i don't have family in France. i've sometimes been in very serious couple relationship but not of late. for sure that makes a difference. no problem for not remembering. there are so many of us it's hard or impossible to remember everyone's details. My city is not open now really either. Here in France, "open" means that parks are open, and some middle schools are open. restaurants and eat in places are not open.

Thinking about your statement that you see yourself alone for the foreseeable future, I asked if family was in France. If you have no one in France, is there family somewhere that you wish you were closer to (assuming you like your family)? Or very, very good friends that you would be willing to move closer to? Perhaps this is the time to consider why you live in France and whether you could live elsewhere. You sounded so despondent about your situation and I'm a firm believer that we write the pages of our story and if we don't like the chapter we're in, turn the page and start a new one.

Beth

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    💖Rebecca

We have a winner!! Great job Rebecca!! Yes, Harry Truman and Spirit Lake. <3

That earlier photo I posted was of Mt. St. Helens the day before she blew 40 years ago at 8:32 am on May 18th. And here's the eruption:

7499emalu5ac.jpg

We were living east of Seattle at the time - weren't aware of the blast except our masonry fireplace cracked and a very light sprinkling of ash fell in our neighborhood. Today we live 50 miles away from the crater as the crow flies, both that and Mt. Rainer which is in Pip's back yard. On clear mornings I can see them from the end of our road when I take my walk.

A friend of ours (here in our County) was laying shingles on his roof that morning, and witnessed it with an unobstructed view.

Rebecca - any more memories of the event? Ash all over? Katla? how about you?

Karen... an emerald? Were you hiding that in the basement? :D It's beautiful. :)

Lanette
    SW WA State

Helenite lol