WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Jaxsgma wrote: »
    Tracey in Edmonton - thank you for those scales, I didnt realize how much more the US was ahead of everyone, and they still went ahead and opened a lot of places this weekend, I think this was a big mistake.

Do you follow Worldometer?
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It shows a lot about what's happening around the world. There are graphs and charts and you can click on each country to get more specific information.

But yes, it's quite clear the US is "winning" with between 25,000 and 30,000 new cases each day and over 1000 deaths per day. :neutral::(

Machka in Oz
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BeUncommon - Beautiful pictures of your daughter.

Congrats on the 70 lb loss and adding the 1 lb loss this week. Don't be disappointed at your 1 lb.! This is great. Always take a loss, your headed in the right direction. Congrats again :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Kelly it is more the dog is left in the yard alone on a very busy street all the traffic upsets him. Again he got loose from his yard and was going to attack me if he could. My son and I were doing nothing to provoke the dog. We were fixing something in the alley. Minding our own business. HE WAS NOT IN HIS YARD!!@!@! and aggressive for NO REASON! SCARY!!!!! I have seen this before in other dogs and they are DANGEROUS TO BE AROUND!

Again my plan is try to avoid him as much as possible and have an umbrella handy to protect myself if he tries to get in our yard again. I am doing nothing to provoke him other than enjoying our backyard. You are right he is under exercised and they may be encouraging him to be aggressive so he is a better watch dog. The problem with that is the dog can turn on them. He may hurt a child in the neighborhood or one of the many dogs that live here too!

It does make me sad because they can be wonderful loving dogs if they are treated right. Fortunately I am not there often my concern is more for our son. He has already been through ENOUGH! He almost died last year due to a reaction to medication and was severely sick with his illness for four months with three months in the hospital. I barely got him out of the hospital when COVID hit.

So yes my patience is not at a high level. It is their dog and their responsibility to see he does not hurt someone or another animal. In the meantime I will do what I need to do to keep myself and son safe.
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is why I hate the 5-year plan question in interviews. No one knows where they'll be in 5 years! You can make a plan, but what are the chances it will happen.

In my experience, life is full of surprises!! Some good ... some really horrible. You just don't know.

But I did find this funny ...

6rgoa3qtvm9l.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    You may have seen this already but I thought it was really well done ... :)

https://youtu.be/LpAKcQufacc

Machka in Australia
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    MaryBeth > Thank you very much xx yeah staying put right now is a good idea! There are a lot of people not following guidelines... as they say "you cant fix stupid". I just feel for the people they may possibly infect. Sorry you are not able to go to Ireland! I have never been myself but I would really like to go!

Amber > I have also do that but it is more like I will lose some weight and then I will gain it back and more! I have never lost it and kept it off.. this time I must keep it off :) I have along way to go and I cant fall back into my funk.

It looks like they are respecting the rules at least ;) I don't know if our world will ever be as it was before..

Ehren > Welcome to our group! nice to have you join us x

Tonya UK xx

Nice stroll taking the llama for a walk :)

r9fgxpytngsr.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    I was just checking my bank account and saw that my savings account maturity had been paid into it. I don't like leaving money in my current account as it is far too tempting! >:) Went to pay in the money to the account I looked at last week and they had already cut the rate by a third! Searched online and found a one year one that wasn't laughable, :/ so I've done all the online paperwork to set it up. Quite pleased with myself. Obviously they have to check me out before it goes live.

Yes, Tonya, Canada is just over half the UK's population. Lots of space! :D

In Brighton and Hove people are very well behaved and our numbers of community infection are almost nil. That could change very easily.

My tandoori chicken is marinating. One of my favourite things.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    B)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Tonya- My weights never stayed at one number permanently.Either too low or too high due to health or aging. I’m trying to make a permanent diet then stick with it. Easier said then done human nature is to see it stay put then think why Am I still logging ? Then we fall back into mid guessing portions to calories. We all do it. We all just have to restart is all. As a kid I went so low it was dangerous until a Doctor finally helped get my stomach inflammation under control as an older adult it’s been as high as 3x-4x clothing (4x was a coat y my last days pregnant went back to a 3x when JR popped out ). Been at perfect weights to imperfect ones. Just got to get back on the wagon find what works this time. If you lost a pound sounds like it’s going in the right path. It’s when it stays put too long or goes up got to shake up the diet to routine to weed out the problem. My issue at this point was the scan barcode not giving the right calories me just finding a close enough substitute which ruins macros to salt counts ect. If I’m eating tofu soup Cant find it record it as a meat soup bam ruined the count even if calories matched. Learning as I go think I used to work at a gym to restaurant cook I’m still learning this stuff.

Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    HAPPY SUNDAY! :)

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words about my brother. His son is being cared for by his morbidly obese mother who is still married to my brother by the way. We don’t talk much as she is very rude and crass to everyone. Uses her disabled son as an excuse to eat as in “He wont eat if I don’t”. They are not very communicative so I’m taking no news as good news. They said yesterday he will recover. Still...... I worry......

On the good side my back is slowly getting better. I can move a bit today without tears coming to my eyes.

Also, I absolutely love the sewing machine! I made 2 masks in less than an hour with bad thread that kept breaking! (All I had lol). Have to buy some good thread before I do anything else.

Overall, not depressed, just frustrated with everything I can’t fix but focusing on what I can do, like sewing!

RV Rita
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: type hymns for Sunday, watched last Sunday’s livestream, dogstroll
    Bonus: veg prep.
    Get to do: final? follow up for Joe’s labs. invest 10 mins cleaning kitchen, carry over 20 mins cleaning office, bedrooms, 10 mins cleaning Dining Room, Master bath, mat work, BB&B, firehouse mtg minutes, learn new dances, transplant oregano and parsley, make garlic almonds for Dan, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Lazy day yesterday NOT cleaning. Maybe this afternoon.

Carol, my To Do list NEVER gets done in one day. Just keep carryin’ over stuff… like cleaning … ;) It’s Michele and Kim and Machka that are the energizer bunnies. Sometimes after reading their posts I need a nap ;):love: the grands “hanging out” at grandmas.
    Lanette a Gentle Leader might work. You have to be very careful to follow the video instructions on how to fit it so they cannot either scrape it off or twist out of it by pulling their head in, but it works for Shadow and Tumble. The video is very helpful also with introduction, with treats, and lots of patient time… ;)
    Tonya Belton House, yep that looks like it! Con gratulations on the pound! I’d be happy with that ;)
    Michele don’t know if this would work, but I had to “pleat” my mask with paperclips on the sides to get a good fit around my mouth/chin. Could you paperclip a pleat on either side of your nose?
    KJ I’d love to read your book about your life with the littles. Jewelry box terrariusm, baby powder volcanoes… :lol: I sniff a best seller there ;)
    Welcome @strgzrlilly Ehren!
    Machka :love: “For the longest time” especially the Lysol wipes container percussion ;)

Faith gatherings are approved for up to 25 people so I’m off to Gold Beach for my first in person church service in 6 weeks.
    It will be hard not to hug everyone but it will be so good to see them.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps= 5401 vits=15 log=16 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=11 mfp=16 clean 10 mins=13 outside=13 up hill=14
    wkly: BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=8 play=0 sew=0
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Small dog owners - I need suggestions for a harness they absolutely can't pull out of. The talk about pit bulls yesterday reminded me I used to love walking our little dogs up and down our road until the neighbor a few doors down got a pit bull and would keep it on a chain where it would lunge and bark when it saw my little guys.

Little Rosie especially would squirm and manage to Houdini out of her harness, so I eventually gave up. Too scary for both of us. I've tried several harnesses. Maybe there's something new.

I rarely see that dog chained out anymore and it would be good to get Rosie in the exercise mode again if the coast is clear. I discovered DH has really been piling on the treats and she needs to lose a pound or two.

Carol
    - I meant to comment a few days ago how neat it is that your son will be going back to work at the restaurant. <3 I've seen so many great ideas about eating places doing well-spaced inside seating and continuing carry out, and reminders to tip generously. Some of the nicer restaurants around here have been offering really nice carry-out since the close downs. Yes, they are expensive but the portions are very generous and older folks are getting 3 or 4 meals out of each huge serving.

Woke up too early this morning. I did some Agatha Raisin binge-watching yesterday. (On the Acorn channel via Amazon Prime). So I dreamed I was living in Agatha's house with Charles Fraith and eventually discovered that our Karen in VA had set up a clinic in the basement and laughed at me and said she'd had it there for quite a while....and I hadn't noticed? :D Good gravy! I got up and took an alka seltzer and felt much better.

I think it's going to be a super day. Let's make it so! <3

Lanette
    Heading out for early morning shopping in a bit in SW WA State

>>>

lol…well...I would adore running a little clinic in the Cotswalds…wouldn't that be so fun???

>>>

Margaret I just know it is so frustrating for you that some of us either misunderstood or failed to acknowledge that the neighbor's dog had escaped his enclosure and was roaming free when that frightening incident occurred. I don't think anyone here would think that it was OK for the dog to escape its enclosure as it did, and act aggressively towards you and your son. I'm glad there was a cement barrier that slowed him down, or you may well have been bitten. We dog owners, as everyone knows, are obligated to keep our dogs under control at all times, without exception. The question now is if you believe he is likely to escape and come after you again (very different from a dog barking at you while in his own yard or enclosure). If you don't think the enclosure is adequate to contain the dog, you really should contact your son's neighbor, and remember to document your discussion. I know you are a dog lover. (((Hugs)))

>>>

Heather I wonder if the fact that so many of the UKs cases are in care homes accounts for the higher per capita mortality rate in the UK.

>>>

Tonya Your photos are a gift. Thank you so much for posting them; I love them and will never tire of seeing them.

>>>

I am going to do the HealthyWage challenge! So excited. Also keeping up with the Rewiring challenge; I am discovering that I am not great with one meal a day. I thought I would really like it, but I get really full on not very much food, and then several hours later I am so hungry…I just can't eat enough in my eating window to make it work. So I didn't pick a rewirement that is working for me, and am revamping my plan. I'm going to pick new ones, something I know I will succeed at: Logging my meals and wearing my Apple watch to log my steps.

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    ----
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Washington State has several stunning snow-capped mountains. Here's a photo of one:

4aya1tku5teh.jpg

Folks who traveled on I-5 in this area have probably seen it. Any guesses?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Welcome strgzrlily

Machka9 - Thanks for the worldmeter web site, I will start following it.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,113 Member
    Options
    Back when my Stephanie was a toddler, the neighbors got a Rottweiler. They were very poor dog owners, the poor dog got no training or exercise or affection. It got put in the yard because their kids were afraid of it. It was damaging the fence, charging and growling. I didn't know what to do, but we stayed inside for a month. Then the dog went away. The kids said he died of Parvo, but I like to think he got re-homed. Way too much dog for that family. Hope your situation works out better for you and the dog.

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    :p