What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Slept like 💩 last night and my calves are killing me so rest/cardio if the shoes I ordered are ready today.
  • ljaanderson9673
    ljaanderson9673 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Body fit by amy kettlebell workouts.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    3.5 mile run. In the wind. It was slightly horrible and I’m just glad it’s over.

My Garmin watch definitely glitched during the run too as it thinks my average heart rate was 118...when I did the same route/similar pace last Wednesday my average heart rate was 167. It’s been having issues with the heart rate monitor for awhile now but these things are expensive and I don’t feel like spending the money to replace it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I rowed, four 2,000-meter intervals. I'm a newbie to rowing, so I am not great. I finished the first one in 8:40, second in about 8:50, and then it all went to hell! The last two were over 10 minutes, I think.
    But, man, that is a good workout.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    alexmose wrote: »
    Slept like 💩 last night and my calves are killing me so rest/cardio if the shoes I ordered are ready today.

Update, I revived myself and bought new sneakers. Upper body workout and 40min Sydney Cummings HIIT done!!! Probs will just do a short 20-30min walk later to close my ring.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I rowed, four 2,000-meter intervals. I'm a newbie to rowing, so I am not great. I finished the first one in 8:40, second in about 8:50, and then it all went to hell! The last two were over 10 minutes, I think.
    But, man, that is a good workout.

Slowness in rowing is all relative. That's not actually very slow for 2K intervals. Just keep working on form and the rest will come. I'm not entirely sure that I could do 4 intervals, right now, under 9 minutes in a row. Maybe, but not sure.

That's known as one of the hardest workouts in rowing that you can do. Stephen Seiler, famous physiologist, said that 8 minutes X 4 is the best way to improve VO2 Max. 2K X 4 is arguably the hardest workout, also, on the Pete Plan (one of the more famous rowing plans).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Stretching, 56 minutes.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Mon 5/18

MORNING
    11 mile mountain bike run on the trails. Vigorous with many inclines.

AFTERNOON
    Full body weight training.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Another 5K this morning (sprinted the last tenth of a mile for kicks) and finished with somw yoga/core work
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    60nkf5azlbyx.jpg

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Core/abs/little back in AM. 3 mile walk in evening. Glute still too injured to bike or run....
    ....but I’m getting new wheels put on my new bike (which I haven’t been able to ride) tomorrow and, if my injury feels better, I’ll ride Thursday. Super excited about that.

gzrfhyveuohz.jpeg
    08ifqzbodnws.jpeg

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    X2
    rf1cdbaklgvc.jpeg

Pace is getting back to where I like it 😁

Nice speed!!!

Envy your wind. It’s rarely below 10mph here:/
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Stretching, 56 minutes.

Ditto ^ :). And just some walking/jogging and minimal body weight exercises. Not what I expected but shoots, that’s just how it goes sometimes.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    X2
    rf1cdbaklgvc.jpeg

Pace is getting back to where I like it 😁

Nice speed!!!

Envy your wind. It’s rarely below 10mph here:/

Outdoor Velodrome helps too..dizzzzayy weeee!!!!
    The weather has been freakishly good here. It’s not normal.

Today’s effort
    rsh5uz5ppsqo.jpeg

• sn2ess
    sn2ess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Simple 15 minute walk and 2 mile walk out back :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Wanted to do some rowing sprints today. Probably not a great idea as I was still a bit sore from my half marathon on Sunday. Did 5K Warmup @ 2:30 pace, then did 6 X 1' (one minute) with 2 minute rests and then around 3500 as a cooldown. Sprints went horrid. 1:41.0 on the first one (died around 15 strokes to go or might have held around a 1:37 or 1:38 pace). One more in the high 1:40s and the rest in the lower 1:50s -- really slow for sprints. After the first one, my legs had nothing left. That's where the power building needs to come in. A stronger rower, my age, to be competitive needs to be able to pull a low 1:30s for a minute, minimum. So that's around a 30% or so improvement in power (it's not linear on rowing power).

It's clear I need to work on strength a lot more. I knew that was my weakness already, but it might be worse than I suspected currently. But that's why I like rowing. You have to balance cardio and strength at all times. Aside from Cross Fit, Cycling and speed sports (like speed skating or X-Country skiing, serious climbing or Mountain Biking), there's not a ton that compares to it. A lot of the folks I row against are former Rugby players or similar. I never did endurance sports that combined strength and it shows now!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Tue 5/19

MORNING
    11 mile mountain bike run on the trails, vigorous with many inclines. (this is doing wonders for my body and mind getting out on the trails! Killer workout)
    35 chin ups, 110 push ups (both in sets to failure)

I think that will be it today. I'm spent. maybe do some yard work this afternoon...MAYBE NOT. haha
  • klove808
    Options
    20 min yoga, 30 min stairs, 30 min full body weights, hour walk - meditation time.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of barre. Barre is new for me, this is the start of my third week doing it, and I’m really loving it. The workouts feel really challenging so I hope at the end of 8 weeks I’ll really see some noticeable changes in my body.
  • klove808
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Shortgirlrunning I’ve been interested in barre but the prices of classes has always made me just not take it up. I’d love to know how your results are. :).