May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I think I missed the post where you bought the headphones. What kind did you get?

I got a notice today that my shoes shipped! That's a lot sooner than I was expecting. They didn't have a delivery date, but I hoping to get them Saturday.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Great running people!

@shanaber those are pink but pretty! On sale, who cares IMHO. Sorry running isn't bringing you joy right now. You will get your mojo back soon! I hate the waiting part when it comes to medical stuff!

@Teresa502 That sounds like a cool race. And besides enviromental issues killing the bees, now we have those Huge Asian Killer Hornets that can kill a hive in minutes. So we need to support the bees for sure.

@ContraryMaryMary They are pretty but the goal is get them worn in and less pretty. I actually didn't even ask if they had other colors - I would have chosen something less light. Black sounds practical!

@quilteryoyo Had to google that....I need to get with the picture! Nice run!

@PastorVincent That looks pretty cool! I would love a green house.

@rheddmobile Bingo re the ego! That's my point too.

@Elise4270 I so miss the beach, waves, etc and of course the best place for a good cry. Have you tried a good shower cry? That is pretty cathartic too.

@HonuNui Incredible picture and painting.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Agree with everyone....@HonuNui It's good to see you back and the photo and oil painting are almost indistinguishable :p Great work!!!

Couldn't say it any better so I stole @Scott6255's post.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    A quick question for my friends in North America and Australia or New Zealand (please say which country) - if travel restrictions were lifted when do you think you would next travel abroad to a less developed country, say Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Thailand, Cambodia,Sri Lanka or the like?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I think I missed the post where you bought the headphones. What kind did you get?

I got a notice today that my shoes shipped! That's a lot sooner than I was expecting. They didn't have a delivery date, but I hoping to get them Saturday.

@quilteryoyo I got the aftershokz air titanium. Absolutely worth it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    A quick question for my friends in North America and Australia or New Zealand (please say which country) - if travel restrictions were lifted when do you think you would next travel abroad to a less developed country, say Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Thailand, Cambodia,Sri Lanka or the like?

Kiwi here, honestly probably 2022, but I'm planning on going to Thailand on the way to the UK with my kids before I turn 40.

If I was still travelling for pleasure, I'd be going as soon as the border and unrestricted travel was allowed - given advice from the government as usual.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate
    5-14 7k thresholdy
    5-15 7k easy
    5-16 11k slow
    5-17 7k moderate
    5-18 rest
    5-19 7k moderate
    5-20 7k easy
    5-21 6k moderateish
    5-22 7k easyish

May Total: 144k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Cloudy, low 60s F, and little wind. Should have checked the weather radar before I went out; light rain started at about kilometer 3, and kept me cool for the rest of the run.
    Running gods read my post yesterday and rewarded my arrogance with leg cramps most of the night. I can endure the shin and foot cramps; it's the charley horses I really dislike. I don't think they liked me calling myself myelf, either.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 Ouch on the sunburn. I've done that before. It's painful. You are doing great with your running. Don't push yourself to hard to reach some arbitrary number. Listen to your body and take care of you and the little one you are growing. I'm amazed that you are running at all.

@Tramboman You're going to have to quit pissing off the running gods! Sorry about the cramps. They are so painful!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

I'm in the US (Virginia). I honestly don't know when I will feel comfortable with traveling again. It's something that I love. I was supposed to be on a plane in the morning to Ireland but of course had to cancel that one. Right now, my work has travel restrictions even on personal travel. If we leave the area (over 100 miles), we have to be tested upon return and quarantine for 14 days at home. If you can work at home during the 14 days, great. If you can't, you have to either use leave or not get paid.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I went for a 4 mile run early this morning. It was sunny and 52F. I didn't see another human being. Just horses, cows and birds. Now it's cloudy and looks like it will rain any minute. Today's run brings me to 104.48 miles for the month. I set my goal at 110 so I should be able to reach that with tomorrow's long run. I was conservative this month due to some long work meetings and having to go to the office a couple of days.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly I am in North America. I would travel once restrictions are lifted if it was an area that didn't have an active outbreak. It's more academic for me, as I'm not much of an international traveler.

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m
    5/11: 2m
    5/12: 5m, 6.5m
    5/13: 8m
    5/14: 1.25m,
    5/15:1.25m, 6.75m
    5/16: 15.5m
    5/17: 20m
    5/18: 2.5m
    5/19: 5m
    5/20: 5m
    5/21: 5m
    5/22: 2m
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly Agree with @janejellyroll , I am less worried about going to a place that is not having an outbreak and isn't highly populated and more worried about getting there on a several hour petrie dish of a flight. The more I read up on this the more I am convinced that outdoors, more space and upwind is better. The exact opposite of a plane.

@Teresa502 Funny you should mention that. My college pal showed us an email she got from the Corporate office - big bank - that said the same thing. No personal travel that involves leaving your home region, and public transport...ie planes, trains, cruises. If you do, its 14 days quarantine and if you can't work from home, personal time off. Wow!

We are planning on sticking to our Colorado trip at the end of August. We are driving. Hoping to avoid other humans by hiking on less popular trails assuming the parks are open. Don't need to eat in a restaurant. Maybe we will get quarantined. My son flew in from NYC yesterday and no one met him at the airport to fill out forms to track his whereabouts and quarantine him like they did a month ago. But the rule is still in place.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Exactly. It's the thought of airports and being on an airplane that make me nervous right now. When I'm on vacation, I typically spend a lot of time outside anyway. I am hoping to make some drives to see family (in the US) once trends are firmly downward in both their area and mine. Those would typically be flights, but it's going to be a while before I feel comfortable with those.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

@TheMrWobbly - Also in the US and I don't think we will be traveling internationally until there is a vaccine at least. My husband is high risk (older, underlying health conditions) and I would not want to do or go anywhere that would put him at risk. My daughter and I had plans to go some where for our birthdays this year. We went to Costa Rica for our 30/60 and thought maybe to go back there or to Ireland but she has already told me no. Not for her but for the worry I might bring it home to her father. I also don't have any confidence sitting on a plane for hours and hours to get to any where we would want to go.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

United States, here. Ironically, I've never left my country yet, so I don't know if its even fair for me to reply. Lol.
    I won't be traveling, but it has more to do with where I'm at financially than it does the pandemic. If I could afford it, I absolutely would travel. I'm not sure about to less developed countries, mostly because I don't know if I have any interest in visiting those places, but again that has nothing to do with COVID.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2
    5/12 – 3
    5/13 – 2
    5/14 – 5
    5/15 – 4
    5/16 – 5
    5/17 - 5
    5/18 - 2 - it's Skip's birthday so I ran 2.0 in honor of her turning 20
    5/19 – 4
    5/20 - 4
    5/21 - 4
    5/22 - 3

74 of 50 miles

Got caught this morning in a thunderstorm, it got dark and poured and thundered with lightening! Yikes!

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm in the United States too (Alabama), I had plans to go to New Jersey in April, had to postpone until the end of June, now the event I was going for it cancelled (family event). My friend left here to drive up to Jersey yesterday and she said the biggest problem was no where to stop to go to the bathroom except gas stations. I think she's a fool going into one of the highest areas, but who am I ha ha I do plan to go to the beach in September for a long weekend as part of my Flora-Bama virtual race, I've decided to run my last miles actually there at the virtual finish line. My concern with traveling out of the country would be another rise in cases and having a problem getting home. If we travel out of the country we have to do a 14 day quarantine per our company, but we are all working from home so no big deal there.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Also in the U.S. Have been to Canada (by land), but no other country. I had plans for races in various states in Mar., Apr., and May that all got cancelled. Depending on the location, the travel, the field size, and practices to keep things clean and safe; I would go to a race this weekend if I could (maybe next weekend as I've been sick the past week and still not well enough to race yet, but you get the point). As for travel abroad, it depends on if there is any reason to go. I wasn't planning anything anyway, so Covid-19 hasn't changed this for me.