May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Scott6255 Yeah for a refreshing run in the rain.

@marisap2010 Yeah on the weight loss. It feels great to lose and slow and steady is the way to go.

Hahaha @PastorVincent . That's really hot! Glad you decided on ice cream instead of running.

I woke up to pouring rain this morning and decided that was a fantastic reason to stay in bed. After the 3 am wake up the day before this felt luxurious. Eventually I got up, the rain stopped, and I decided I better get going on my running plan for the day before it got too hot. I decided to explore a bit and had seen another runner post a week or so ago about a river trail north of here that looked beautiful. And flat. So I drove up there and it was still only about 68 degrees when I started, but 85% humidity. The trail was an out and back of about 4.5 miles total. I hadn't planned on necessarily doing the whole thing. But I was wearing my Boilermaker 15k tank top from 2 years ago, and I felt pretty good, so I decided what the heck - I had the shirt, I had a 9 mile trail, I'll just go ahead and do a 15k. I made sure to add on the extra at the turnaround, which worked perfectly to run the bridge across the river and back. This all seemed like a good plan until I was about 6 miles in and feeling tired and sweaty, and then I was kind of regretting this rash decision (but grateful I wasn't wearing a HM or marathon shirt :smiley:). There was no choice but to get back to my car though, so I tried to put myself in the mindset of running that 15k race and keep going until it was done.

And here's a funny thing - I finished my run in 1:43:04 today, and my time for the Boilermaker 15k in 2018 which the tank top was from was 1:43:08. Which is not a great 15k time for me, and the race is in July and was hot and hilly and today I stopped and took pictures several times (stopping my watch). But still, I was surprised to have completed the distance in pretty much the same time today on a whim.
    Hahaha. Glad you had a good 15K run and a great time in my book! Love the pictures! Great places to hike and run.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    I took today as a cross training day. Got plenty of exercise in. I spent almost 2 hours mowing my lawn - Garmin says I walked 2.29 miles in so doing. Got done just in time to take a shower, eat a bite, and go play doubles tennis for a little over 2 hours. I hope to try out my new shoes tomorrow.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic dang that looks like a great place to run!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0526-3.1k, total-53.4k goal-100k

Ran out of time this morning in a spectacular way, so only 3km in the books. It was hot.

In other news, I've grown some sort of bump on the underside of my foot (3rd / 4th metatarsal-ish, for those so inclined), that hurts when walking but not so much while running. Hmm. Not sure what it is, and it seems too minor to see someone to find out. I'm going to give it a week and see if it goes away.

If it keeps growing, I would go sooner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 i love smores. i have a fire pit coming in the next few days.
    and my friends and i are planning a smore/dog party
    knhbcoxjsapj.png

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate
    5-14 7k thresholdy
    5-15 7k easy
    5-16 11k slow
    5-17 7k moderate
    5-18 rest
    5-19 7k moderate
    5-20 7k easy
    5-21 6k moderateish
    5-22 7k easyish
    5-23 7k moderate
    5-24 7k easyish
    5-25 7k easy
    5-26 7k easyish

May Total: 172k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Sunny, low 70s F today. Wasn't bad in the shade, or when the breeze was in my face, but it was brutal in the sun.
    Be able to get out earlier the rest of the week.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep - If that lump hurts I wouldn't wait too long to see someone about it before it gets worse.
    @avidkeo - I agree about how walking can take the energy out of you but what a beautiful place to walk! The thing I hate about walking is it just takes so dang long to cover the same km/miles.
    @mbaker566 - love all the pictures! How long do you typically have a foster? Did you see a change with everyone wanting a dog during the s-a-h? I am worried that now that it is ending and people will be heading back to work many of those adopted pups will no longer be wanted. Especially if they have been with their new families 24x7 and now are alone... Also didn't know a pup could get compartmental syndrome. I hope you get him too, he can use your caring touch. Love the picture with the water droplets on the leaves!
    Make those s'mores with dark chocolate and I will eat them all. Otherwise just give me the roasted marshmallows!
    @bearly63 - we had moved back to so cal when that earthquake hit. It was scary and I still have those thoughts about the overpasses all the time. We used to drive that stretch of the freeway all the time. Not daily but often enough.

Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the week and we are under an extreme heat advisory. I had planned today as a cross training day anyway so will just stay inside. Tomorrow I am hoping it will be a bit cooler so we can get out if I get up early enough.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I got so behind, so I'm hoping everyone had wonderful runs this weekend.

We're finally into summer running here! Feels great to be back in tank tops. I'll enjoy it for the few months that it lasts.

Hit my goal for the month (175 miles). My secondary goal was not to lose any weight this month and I'm trending well on that too.

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m
    5/11: 2m
    5/12: 5m, 6.5m