WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I adore your 2020 social distancing service animal. I hope you enjoy every day with your new guardian. (Perhaps you could introduce him to the back to work coordinator.) :wink:

Michele: As moms of adult children we are no longer in control of schedules, meals and social connections. We need to sit back and love them as they are. In my experience, advice is useless unless my daughter asks me for an old family recipe. I’m glad to give it, she’s glad to get it, and I manage to keep my mouth shut on “should you . . .” Keeping my mouth shut is NOT easy. :noway:

Amber: The Bihar girl is a super heroine. Thanks for sharing her amazing story. :star:

I managed to get quite a bit done today. I have my chocolate peppermint plants planted in a cozy pot with an automatic drip water system. So far, so good. I’m looking forward to a cup of chocolate mint tea in the future. The plants need a chance to settle in and do a bit of growing before I taste a sip of their tea.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Michele I had a difficult maiden name too. That is part of the reason I worked extra hard to pronounce names correctly!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Katla. there are all kings of mints to grow! I have Apple mint in the ground and it spreads all over ( a good thing for me as the area really needs it). I also have sweet mint growing in a large pot on my deck. This is its 3rd year and it's doing great!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Names ... almost all my names are difficult for people to spell or pronounce. I'm not sure why ... they're easy for me ... but then I've been around them for a long time and I like the Serbo-Croatian language.

Comparatively, my husband's names are Scottish and in a rather British state, you'd think they'd be really easy. Yet there I am spelling his name out at Drs offices etc.

Incidentally, I kept my last name and he kept his when we married. :)

In my uni courses, just about everyone in my classes except me is Asian ... mostly from China or India. Some Chinese will adopt English names but over the years fewer seem to do that. So I've just learned to pronounce their real names.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Mammo, call SWOCC re: BB&B and login, 37 min follow up call for Joe’s cologard. Transplanted cherry tomato, slicing tomato starts, Line dance class
    Bonus: 3 hrs chopping and lopping
    Get to do: Tumble to groomer, T’ai Chi, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, follow up call for Joe’s cologard, invest 10 mins Guest Bth, carry over 10 mins dusting Living Rm, 26 mins decluttering and cleaning Office, 12 mins Bedrooms, 10 mins cleaning Master Bth; start beans, cukes, melon; mat work, BB&B, practice new dances (Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; transplant parsley, pineapple, rose geranium, Stinky; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; call stove repair guy to adjust kitchen flame and assess Aunt Elsie’s Stove to determine if finish cleaning and start de-rusting feasible; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, next week final? fcall for Joe’s Dr. appointment.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Heather I don’t know how to explain it, or even if my emotional reaction bears any resemblance to your DH’s but for me… I learned my bio sire was a married man, with four daughters in that marriage when I was conceived. With no other evidence but my existence, I projected that he was a womanizer and had sired many other wrong-side-of-the-blankets. I imagined that if approaching him I accidentally encountered his wife or children, their reaction would be “Oh #e11, here comes another one…” and I just didn’t want to go through that. I’m so glad Johnny found his twin sister and maintains contact with her. What a gift!
    Lisa Prince and Princess :love: Is there a way for you to prevent future water hammers and the damages they cause?
    Debby in VA thanks for the update, you’ve been missed. I am glad your daughter has moved her children away from her abusive husband. He refuses divorce or separation? She doesn’t want to hurt his reputation? These don’t make sense to me, perhaps there is more to the story. If she fears his reprisal, she might have to take the children underground. My faith in restraining and protective orders has eroded over the years to damnear nonexistent.
    Lanette you are the flippin’ queen!
    ((Luci))
    Margaret, It IS the “just getting started.” How wise you are. Likewise Please, thank you and I made a mistake.
    Katla your plants in post and driveway beans sound just right! Hope your blueberries are sweeter than our native wild huckleberries : “(Perhaps you could introduce him to the back to work coordinator.)” made me aspirate my water. Wiping my eyes, choking with laughter. Thanks, I needed that!
    Kay what you said about taking time to learn correct pronunciation of names. It is the beginning of showing, and teaching, respect.
    ((Flea))
    Tina thanks for the update, sorry you have to extend your quarantine but thank you for not wanting to make others sick.
    Carol I’m envying you your rubbing alcohol and wipes. None in any of our stores since March, at least not when I’m shopping ;{
    Amber anyone who asks you about having more kids, should spend a few hours trying to keep up with JR, then mind their own beeswax.
    Karen in VA that last hug made me say “Oooh” out loud. :love:
    Tracey could you use a shield instead of a mask? Less contact with your skin?
    Machka :love: your social distancing service animal, but it would not be a good fit with our Skye Terrier and our GSD mix. I wouldn’t be able to flip those results ;)

Time to snooze as I have to be up early tomorrow to take Tumble to the groomer before … T’ai Chi!!! Still waiting to hear back from the community college about BB&B.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps=6980! vits=2 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=1 mfp=2 clean 10 mins=8 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx= dance=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    Today ... June 3 ... is World Bicycle Day

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/world-bicycle-day/

"The bicycle is one of the most important inventions in the history of the planet. It provides millions of people with a means of transport powered by nothing other than their bodies. It’s practical, reliable, and helps one to stay fit. Many find that it’s a fun and hassle-free way to get around and take care of daily tasks.

World Bicycle Day is the United Nation’s attempt to recognize the vital importance of the bicycle across the globe. The bike has helped many families across the world to get access to cheap and reliable transportation. It’s no wonder so many partake in the celebration and want to get the word out to others about this exciting and eventful day."
  • Machka9
    Options
    Why coronavirus may make the world more accessible

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200513-why-the-coronavirus-can-make-the-world-more-accessible

" If we had already built a physically inclusive and accessible society, more could have been done to shorten lockdowns.

Take, for example, the layout and design changes that help people with mobility issues. If all doors already had opened automatically, it would be easier for people with some types of disabilities to move freely. But it also means that no-one would need to touch the doors – which would mitigate one risk of infection, and potentially mean that everyone could, theoretically, go out more, or sooner.

Similarly, if the gaps between store aisles were wider, as they’re meant to be for wheelchair users and others, then everyone today would be better able to socially distance. And if pavements were wider, people could walk past each other without breaking the rules.

"It’s funny how so many of the things that disabled people have been saying to architects, town planners and councils for years have suddenly become the very problems that are forcing us to have to continue lockdown for longer than we would do because of the way we have designed society," Scarlet says."

Read the whole article ... it's good!!
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    MACHKA love the Aaron Neville track, love his voice

I’m feeling fine today will just have porridge and fruit again today

DH just back from shopping hope he got everything

Will exercise today been a bit lax so onward and upward

Stay safe
    Kate UK ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    The view from my washing up window :D today June 3rd at 7.15 am. The first day in months we haven't had strong sunshine and a cloudless sky.

6tke79wr1r6u.jpg

The red rambler rose is just coming into bloom over the laurel. Behind it you can see the bay tree. At the bottom of the garden the mock orange is flowering along with the elder tree.
    We keep the garden very wild so it is a haven for birds and wildlife. We love the privacy in the summer with all the shrubbery concealing the neighbours from view.
    At the bottom left corner you can just see my basil on the windowsill. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Heather - that's lovely... especially the pop of red rambler rose color. The whole garden looks very private and serene.

Barbara -
    Yep, it's called a water hammer arrestor, and there's a fair chance this house either never had one or it's no longer working. Sometimes also called a pressure regulator. One more thing that needs fixing. :neutral: If we don't get one installed, we're going to be fixing pipes a lot.

I put up a gently phrased announcement on LinkedIn that I had moved on from Girl Scouts, but deliberately didn't publish widely, just making sure that friends who actually do keep track of me know. Seriously, I've taken the high road so much throughout all this that I'm going to end up with a nose bleed. B) My better nature usually does take over when it's time to prevent a bridge from burning. My announcement was:

I'm torn between sadness that my time with Girl Scouts has ended and joy that, as a lifetime Girl Scout member, my connection will remain. As I took a moment to wonder what is next for me, I turned to the news, and found myself wondering what's next for our country, as well. I know as the pandemic marches on and our cities go up in flames, it's hard to see past the smoke and the fear. No birth is without pain - but don't forget that, as a people, we are really good at new beginnings.

From there I did get a little political, but that's OK, too. Really tired of holding my tongue on that side. Not here, I hasten to add--this truly is a safe place, without either religion or politics, and I need that. Much easier to breathe here.

Interestingly enough, I did get a "heart" from one of the current chiefs of the organization. Can't decide whether that's "love that you finally quit," or "love the way this was phrased." I'll choose to believe the second. Why not. As the Red Queen said to Alice, "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Anyway - already had a couple of friends reach out, and that made me happy. One convinced me to go ahead and apply for unemployment, which I haven't done in 16 years - the year my ex-husband and I filed for bankruptcy, my unemployment was all that kept us from asking for welfare assistance. In fact, my final unemployment check paid for the bankruptcy lawyer.

Well, that took a dark turn, didn't it. But, much like now in our country, it genuinely was the darkness before the dawn. We had to humble our pride in order to save our future lives. Don't get me wrong - we paid for that rescue. In a credit-driven world like this is, we were pretty much pariahs, persona non grata for ten years after. Even after I left him and remarried, that didn't drop off my credit report until 2014.

Back to my story, I did walk through the unemployment application process, and I filled everything out very truthfully. I quit voluntarily, and I was clear that I had done so and why. If the state gives me any form of unemployment money, it needs to be truthful, and not because I tried to fudge or slant anything. My friend convinced me to apply by telling me that a) I'd paid taxes for more than 40 years, and b) by getting unemployment, I'm not taking anything away from anyone else who applies. No one will get turned down because I get approved. It would be nice to have a cash injection, but believe me, I'm NOT holding my breath that it will actually happen.

Another friend, my board chair from my previous council, also reached out over LI and plans to call me this week. She's a lovely woman, and gets up as early as I do, so we had some lovely long talks the last few months I was with that council and the first few months with this one... they just faded away naturally. I look forward to speaking to her again, Judy's a lovely woman.

Time for me to get busy - have to haul hoses around and water my husband's garden and the ten privet bushes they gave him at work last week. They ordered them for a landscaping job nearly a year ago, and then didn't use them. They're all a bit root bound and a little unhappy, but I want to plant them along the outside of the fence that we're hopefully having built before the end of June. In the meantime, they need water... The chances of it raining this afternoon are under 50 percent. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for setting us up for June. I am way behind again. Will skim through ASAP

Margaret: Glad you are keeping safe. Thank you for your insights into the madness sweeping the states. Having lived through over 30 years of civil unrest in Northern Ireland I am only too well aware of how peaceful demonstrations can escalate. As you say, no one wins when things get out of hand.

Ahhh! Books! Always had my young head stuck in a book. Even while riding my bicycle I would prop one on the handlebars.

• Machka9
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes
    Sep-19 ... 136.0 km (84.5 miles) = 23 hours 10 minutes
    Oct-19 ... 196.5 km (122.1 miles) = 31 hours 27 minutes
    Nov-19 ... 155.5 km (96.6 miles) = 25 hours 01 minutes
    Dec-19 ... 203.7 km (126.6 miles) = 26 hours 54 minutes
    Jan-20 ... 304.4 km (189.2 miles) = 32 hours 49 minutes
    Feb-20 ... 248.6 km (154.5 miles) = 34 hours 50 minutes
    Mar-20 ... 148.3 km (92.2 miles) = 30 hours 12 minutes
    Apr-20 ... 171.9 km (106.8 miles) = 19 hours 28 minutes
    May-20 ... 183.7 km (114.1 miles) = 20 hours 49 minutes

Monday, 1 June 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 10.8 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 2 June 2020 … 4.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 1.6 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 3 June 2020 … 4.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 1.6 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

2020 Monthly June
    Walking Distance (km): 9.2
    Walking Time (min): 103.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 10.8
    Cycling Time (min): 41.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 0.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 0.0
    Rowing Distance (km): 3.2
    Rowing Time (min): 20.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 23.3
    Total Distance (miles): 14.5
    Total Time (min): 164.0
    Total Time (hr): 2:44:00

Here we go again!

Regarding Logging ...

The data here comes from an Excel spreadsheet. I have two Excel spreadsheets for logging exercise - this one for exercise in general and another for cycling in particular. Fortunately these days most of my exercise is also tracked relatively automatically through Strava.

My two walks this month were on the treadmill with Zwift which passes info to Strava.

This was today's walk ... :)

kgoo5z826j97.png

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I adore your 2020 social distancing service animal. I hope you enjoy every day with your new guardian. (Perhaps you could introduce him to the back to work coordinator.) :wink:

Michele: As moms of adult children we are no longer in control of schedules, meals and social connections. We need to sit back and love them as they are. In my experience, advice is useless unless my daughter asks me for an old family recipe. I’m glad to give it, she’s glad to get it, and I manage to keep my mouth shut on “should you . . .” Keeping my mouth shut is NOT easy. :noway:

Amber: The Bihar girl is a super heroine. Thanks for sharing her amazing story. :star:

I managed to get quite a bit done today. I have my chocolate peppermint plants planted in a cozy pot with an automatic drip water system. So far, so good. I’m looking forward to a cup of chocolate mint tea in the future. The plants need a chance to settle in and do a bit of growing before I taste a sip of their tea.

>>>

Katla Bwahahaaaahahhaa!!! that was funny

>>>

Michelle I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but consider staying out of your adult daughter's room while she is visiting you. My mother never came into my room once I was an adult, unless invited. She respected my privacy and my need to have a space of my own while visiting. It was a lovely gesture, and endears her even more to me, if that is possible.

>>>

Sending out hugs and hope for everyone; very much missing some of you…

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Terri
    Barbie: Thanks for setting us up for June. I am way behind again. Will skim through ASAP

Margaret: Glad you are keeping safe. Thank you for your insights into the madness sweeping the states. Having lived through over 30 years of civil unrest in Northern Ireland I am only too well aware of how peaceful demonstrations can escalate. As you say, no one wins when things get out of hand.

Ahhh! Books! Always had my young head stuck in a book. Even while riding my bicycle I would prop one on the handlebars.

quote/]

Thank you!. Again I say I am not offended if you skipped my posts. Again it is a time when sometimes all we want is a break from what is going on in the world. For me that is why the pictures of children, dogs, art, scenery, and flowers are so important here in addition to how we are doing with our health. Thank you for posting the beauty and love in the world.

I belong to a group called Grow with Kare 11 all about gardening. It was a nice escape from all what is going on. The Missouri Botanical web site and on Facebook is another one that is great. I would go straight to those sites because Facebook is also full of the news. I also love the meditative music. I go to meditative music on you-tube and many pop up.

As Karla McLauren says it is time to say What must be protected and what must be restored.

The scale is finally going in the right direction. I attribute it to all the walking with son and gardening.
    2020 word: Believe
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) I found out yesterday that the venue where we hold line dance classes won't open until at least Phase Three which might be June 22. They'll know by then if they will open or if they will wait longer. Even when they do open, I'll make up my own mind about whether I'll feel safe to hold class.

:) Dogs went to the groomer yesterday. She said they were happy to get bathed. Poor Sasha had so much matted hair that she had be trimmed very close to her body and they weren't able to save any hair on her tail so she has no pom pom at the end. She looks really skinny now. Wouldn't it be great if we all looked that much thinner after a haircut.

:) Jake wants to get his hair cut but he found out that the wait at the shop is over four hours. He says he'll wait a month.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    8tna1fq42dfw.png

:) Love this.

• Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

Michelle I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but consider staying out of your adult daughter's room while she is visiting you. My mother never came into my room once I was an adult, unless invited. She respected my privacy and my need to have a space of my own while visiting. It was a lovely gesture, and endears her even more to me, if that is possible.

Karen in Virginia

It goes both ways.

I moved home when I was in my late 30s and lived in my parents' basement while I got my Bachelor of Education. I wasn't there the whole time ... I moved out twice to live closer to the university but that was kind of my "home base".

The three of us (especially my mother and me) discovered that the respect goes both ways. My mother had to realise I was in my late 30s, had been married and had lived on my own so I had my own way of doing things. At the same time I had to realise that my parents had done things their way for many years and they are set in their ways.

We had some rocky times, especially at the beginning, but things did settle down and we survived. Plus we got to know each other better in a different way.

One little point of conflict between my parents and me is that they are meat eaters. Dinner is "chicken" or "roast beef" or "steak" or whatever the main meat is going to be. The meal hinges on the meat.

I am not much of a meat eater, and so my preferred dinner might be "pasta" or "soup" or "palak paneer" or something ... which is just not a meal for them.

So, my mother would make extra veggies for me, and I'd have a tiny bit of meat. A bit of a compromise. :)

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Walking only my backs still hurt. If I could trade a young person for their back I would. Of course then I’d want their knees too. Their ears lol 😂. A few more things also lol.Just get me a robot body will call it a day.

Amber Tx

Soups again.