WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to 2 CD sets. Yes, I still use CDs.

I'm currently listening to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings soundtracks.

The other CD set is The Music of Hans Zimmer - The Definitive Collection. Looking forward to that!! :)

Machka in Oz
  • IAmPamK
    IAmPamK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I treated myself to 2 CD sets. Yes, I still use CDs.

I'm currently listening to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings soundtracks.

The other CD set is The Music of Hans Zimmer - The Definitive Collection. Looking forward to that!! :)

Machka in Oz

I still use CD's too. I'm from an age of VHS and Cassette tapes. Good for you treating yourself to some classic music. Always a joy to listen to some great music
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Rhody loves the water! :)

qyend0o751ix.png

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Pip - I have a couple of memory boxes too and a smaller box of old boyfriend letters. The most difficult find was my ex husband's love letters to me when I was at uni. I had forgotten how much we were in love. :'(
    Talking about difficult memories - this morning I wrote 1,000 words about a traumatic almost rape situation I got myself into when I was 14. It was soooooo hard to write about. When I finished I went downstairs to make lunch and I was shaking. After lunch I felt so exhausted I fell asleep for half an hour. Good to get it done though. I didn't realise until now how betrayed I felt by my father hushing me up and not telling my mother. It was as if he was colluding with the stranger. Nothing actually happened, but it was a close run thing. I wrote a radio play using some of the material, which was broadcast on the BBC, plus a short story about the incident, so it had a powerful effect on me.

The pizza beach party has been cancelled because it is drizzling. I think my son chickened out of sitting on the beach with the kids in the rain. We can meet up for ice cream another day. DH has gone out for a walk. It's damp, rather than actually raining.
    Haven't got any dinner planned, of course, but I might rustle up fish soup with some frozen prawns in.

Had a great Zoom with the girls. My York friend has worked out how to put a beautiful background on hers, so we had Bridlington beach behind her. B) She went swimming there yesterday. Freezing!

My son enjoyed his present from me, the heart rate monitor. This morning he went for a bike ride - 100k.!!!! Maybe cancelling the beach party has as much to do with being knackered!

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sandhillsmom: I live in a townhouse community and don’t have the space for a conventional garden. I have flowerbeds on the northeast side of our home and grow herbs, blueberry bushes, and hanging fuchsia pots. There is a space beside the driveway where I grow purple pod bush beans. I enjoy it all and don’t long for a bigger garden. My compass tells me we face 65 degrees NE. We have a lovely view of the Columbia River, an island across from us, and the Washington side of the river. We’re both quite happy here, and I enjoy my tiny garden space and good neighbors. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: Last year’s blueberries were the best crop so far. I bought the plants at Portland Nursery, but I was told they were actually grown near your area. I still have bags of blueberries in the freezer from last year. They do exceptionally well in the freezer and have good flavor and feel when thawed. I mostly use them on cottage cheese for breakfast. :bigsmile:

Heather: Your garden is a delight and a fun place for children to play. :star:

Lisa: I am glad you’ve moved on, and I’m convinced it will be a happier life. :heart:

Amber: I’ve discovered that we’re stuck with the body we were born with, but we can help it with a healthy lifestyle, or harm it with poor choices. I suspect that you’re getting healthier as days go by. :star:

I’m having my morning coffee and will soon get breakfast ready for DH and me. I’m planning to take the wild step of asking him what he would like today. He might go for bacon and eggs rather than our usual cottage cheese & blueberries.

Be safe.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: I did a check on my plant list. I have BlueBerry Sunshine Blue, and Bountiful Blue. I bought them at a nearby garden store years ago and they are thriving. There are green berries set and growing on all three of my bushes. I have two Sunshine Blue plants and one Bountiful Blue. I believe that the plants may have been grown near you but don't have the details available. I am hoping for a bit of overlap from last year so that we still have berries to enjoy while the plants are making more. :bigsmile:

Katla
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My maiden name was Smith. Noone ever misspelled or mispronounced it. I should have kept it! It’s interesting that I married a man with a very Norwegian name and my sister married a man with a very Cajun name. We are both always spelling and pronouncing our married names for people. If we are honest, we also quite enjoy having a more unique name.

One of the casualties of the Pandemic is the closing of my beloved wellness center/gym that was a part of the small local hospital. There are metabolic workout videos that came with my paid membership to Healthy Free Life Academy so I am doing those at home. I only started the videos on Monday so time will tell if I get results. I don’t know why it is so hard for me to workout at home i’m finished in the time it would have taken me to drive to the gym. But I will miss my classmates. Several of them have joined another gym in the same town (where I worked not where I live), but I don’t think I’m ready to learn a new gym culture or deal with the germs right now. If I do, I’m going to shop for one closer to home.

I got my first round of the Shingrix vaccine today. I had to go to my husband’s pharmacy since CVS isn’t giving vaccines right now. I think I’m going to switch to them for all my needs. They are much friendlier and nicer and I like the idea of them not being a chain.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thank for sharing cityjane I would have to think hard as to how many times I’ve been raped. Didn’t think of it that way at the time . 3 out of the top of my head
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I have lots and lots of cds but son subscribes to Spotify so I can download or listen to practically anything. Loath to get rid of cds even though my player is a bit iffy. In future I might lose my faculties and not be tech savvy 🤣🤣🤣 so could use cds

Have eaten porridge and fruit again today, no digestion issues. Not hungry and well below calories so might lose some weight

Kate UK ❤️
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    NAMES: I have a definite name deficit. I have always hated saying my last name, Bilbo, because I feel so strange saying it. When I was a teacher, I also had a very difficult time pronouncing some of my student's names. One child was named Aja and it was pronounce Asia. Another had a name that reminded me of Chiquita bananas. It took me months before I could say it correctly. Now I have a neighbor of Hispanic heritage and I can never remember how to say her name. It is embarrassing to say the least.

Carol in GA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever gets my name right. :# They can't read it right and they can't spell it. I always have to spell it for them and emphasize that it begins with E, very slowly. And I always have to correct the pronunciation.
    I changed it for my first husband, but always hated his name (my children's names) and could not sign it. He always laughed at my signature. When we divorced I eventually changed back to my maiden name, which I had always kept for my professional writing etc. When I married DH I decided to stick with my maiden name and not change it again. Glad I did, although his is much easier.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I too have a name block, in that I can't remember people's names, or the names of things. This is a family joke. The family call table napkins "handy wipey things". There is a lot of "thingummybob" or "whatisname" in my conversation. The only good thing is that it hasn't got any worse since I've got older. I've always been that way. I seem to have a blank spot in the part of my brain that is supposed to name things. :o:/

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    68547cwg98wmzcn.gif