WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip.

No words.

I have never been sexually assaulted in any way.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    Machka - This is mainly for you! My son and DDIL's bike ride this morning for his 41st birthday.

4ez1yo9q7ntd.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'm a bit jealous! I long to do rides like that again!!

Machka in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    i3nwr0mzub88.jpeg
    n75go7h16642.jpeg
    lhlfozi6om2a.jpeg
    More of Athena pics.💖
    Today was a wedge of cabbage, a spoonful of beans from my husband's leftover navy bean soup, wild rice, broth, 3 baby potatoes, and a bagel. Too much carbs I know.😕 Then, I had a scone with my jam, and canned whipped cream. Then a poptart. Aaaack. I start off wonderful! Tomorrow is another day. I did close my eating window at 3pm. Its amazing that I ate what I did in 3 hours. Grace to graze has its pitfalls!
    6vb0y6318566.jpg
    32hz67fald2x.jpg

Hugs everyone!
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Machka9
    Options
    wnfhh2d1be1c.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,361 Member
    Options
    Did Kerry Katona’s Real Fitness DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to Paul Katemi’s Boot Camp DVD. Thank goodness I have these DVD’s.

M – a while ago we used leaves as mulch. We did the same thing as you, run them thru a shredder. We did find, tho, that this added too much acid. Some plants love acid, but not every plant does. Does Rody drink from the faucet? Two of our cats do. So we got a fountain.

Katla
    – keeping my mouth shut is hard, but I’m doing it. Sore tongue (from biting it) and all. I just tell her “there’s xxx in the refrigerator” and if she chooses to have it, fine. If not, she will just have to find something else if she wants it.

Karen VA
    – thanks for telling me. I usually don’t go in Jess’ room except if she asks me to or to visit with Shadow. I know she likes it if someone visits Shadow. I don’t do that a whole lot, tho. I don’t make her bed, but sometimes have to empty the garbage or take dirty plates/glasses to be washed. But that’s about IT

Tonya – good to see you

Bought 5 more bags of mulch (this is IT). Was able to talk dh into cutting the grass since the humidity is supposed to start tomorrow. So we cut the grass and put the rest of the mulch down. I didn’t think we’d get to that but while he was cutting the backyard, I was putting down the mulch. Then went in the pool, the water was 84.

Just now I was taking a walk and then watering my neighbors’ flowers. Another neighbor was walking their dog and the dog started to seize. So I called Jess. Admitted, there’s nothing she medically can do, but I did see that she put their minds at ease. The husband was ready to put the dog down, he kept saying “get my gun”. Jess was able to assure them that in such a young dog there really isn’t a chance of brain damage (I don’t think they even thought of that). She did go with them to the emergency care place. Not that she’s looking for anything, but I would bet that when all this is over, they give her something. If anything, for being with them, helping them.

Hugs to so many people, pip and Rita to name a few. Thinking about Rori

The gym where I take the extremepump class is opening Monday. No, the governor hasn’t said that they could. My suspicion is that they are feeling the effects of loss of income so that’s why they’re opening. They said it was what the members wanted, but I really think the money was the driving factor. I’m betwixt and between as to whether I should go. I do plan to do at least some of the ball DVD just in case for some reason I can’t take the class. They do say that the exercise room is marked for social distancing.

Beth – my weight has been stable, too. But I admit, I’m working hard on it.

Lisa – I don’t see what’s hard about your husband’s name. Of course, having had a Polish maiden name didn’t hurt! I have the hardest time with names. Things about people, that I remember. When I worked at the Y we were supposed to call the members by their name. Whenever I had my review I’d get high marks in everything but remembering member’s names. One thing that was told to me was to ask someone what their name is. When they tell you, say “no, I meant your last name”. Are you going to be making wine with those grapes??? Woodmill Winery is near here and they have the best Goldenscuppernog. The owner was telling us that he started the winery because of the resveratrol in the muscadines. His father had cancer and the resveratrol was to help him

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,765 Member
    Options
    No one can pronounce our last name properly and I have given up correcting. I have worked since I was 18 mostly in the security industry where there are a lot of newcomers to Canada. I have learned to spell and pronounce names properly to show proper respect and as a personal challenge. Any names that have a rolling R though I have never mastered.

Barbara - we actually had a conversation about shields yesterday at work. Without masks and goggles shields are useless and will not pass out Health Standards audits. The subject came up as one of our staff was seen wearing one without proper PPE underneath and was reprimanded. Masks are necessary to protect others not ourselves. Shields don’t provide enough protection for droplets when we speak especially if we are standing and the residents are sitting. That was my lesson yesterday.

Heather - I love your view.

Terri - riding a bike with a book on the handlebars.... I used to go on the truck with my husband when he drove for a living. I couldn’t believe the number of people I saw with books over the steering wheel in cars! There were numerous other things I saw that shouldn’t be discussed in polite company and certainly wasn’t safe or educational. 😉

Michele - I understand that you are concerned about your daughters health but she will figure it out on her own. I prefer being my daughter’s friend now and not their disciplinarian dietician, physical trainer... well you get the picture. Just enjoy your time with her and try not to judge.

My Grandmother was the best at subtle guilt trips and my girls tell me that I learned well from her. An example: I used to smoke, thankfully gave it up 11 years ago. When she first learned I was smoking she paid me 100 to quit. It didn’t last unfortunately, but that was the only time we ever discussed it outright. She used to mail me articles about the dangers of smoking though and would leave ensure that the volume was turned up on any news reports about it. She would have had so much fun with social media and how easily she could post things to subtly get my attention.

My eldest daughter moved out at 18 to live with her best friend. The girls were opposites, my daughter liked to read, listen to music softly and loved her alone time. Her friend loved to party, have a group of people over all the time, and cranked her music. I knew it wasn’t going to go well and told her so for just these reasons but I helped her move her things. About two weeks later she called on a Saturday afternoon to see if I would pick her up to spend the night at our house because her friend was having another party. I refused her, it almost broke my heart to do it, but I told her her Father and I had plans that didn’t include anyone else. She was shocked speechless. On Sunday she walked to our house after calling to make sure it was ok to visit. She admitted that she should have listened to me and given it more consideration and would I please help her move back home and get out of the situation. Of course, I did.

Annie - how old are your parents? What are their thoughts on your sister visiting?

I had a discussion at work today about how depressed our residents are and how much I can see them declining since March. Some of them that were very happy and cheerful are now wondering why they care if they are healthy and safe if they can’t see their family. I have to agree with them. If I could live longer but not see my loved ones what would the sense be. Maybe the reward is greater than the risk in some cases.

Katie - my husband started using a small local pharmacy in the Fall and I will be going there next time I need a prescription as well. The atmosphere, wait time and everything is so much better and it’s local!

Well I have written a novel and will close for now.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding remembering people's names ...

My husband was brilliant at remembering people's names. He had a real knack for it!

But that was one of the things he lost in the accident.

Meanwhile, I've always thought I was terrible at remembering people's names.

However, because he gets frustrated now when he can't remember things, I've started working at it and it turns out I can remember people's names!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Happy Hug A Cat Day ...

o5dcks3jptn1.png

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,501 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Tumble to groomer, T’ai Chi, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, Bonus: 3 hrs chopping and lopping
    :sick: Could have chosen better: Real ale (AF), 2 pieces pizza (1 pc + veggies), 2 candy bars (2 sq dark chocolate) :sick:
    Get to do: pickup paper at firehouse, call library to schedule pickup Friday? follow up call for Joe’s cologard, invest 10 mins vacuuming/dusting dining room, carry over 10 mins dusting Living Rm, Guest Bth, 26 mins decluttering and cleaning Office, 12 mins Bedrooms, 10 mins cleaning Master Bth; start beans, cukes, melon; mat work, BB&B, practice new dances (Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; transplant parsley, pineapple, rose geranium, Stinky; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; call stove repair guy to adjust kitchen flame and assess Aunt Elsie’s Stove to determine if finish cleaning and start de-rusting feasible; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, next week final? fcall for Joe’s Dr. appointment.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Joyful June 2- not sure how to reframe a worry, but persisting with both the Dr.’s office and the lab yesterday to get Joe’s cologard is the most positive way I can think of to respond.

:sick: Could have chosen better today: Real ale (should have chosen AF), 2 pieces pizza (1 pc + veggies), 2 candy bars (2 sq dark chocolate) :sick:

“World bicycle day” Missing Yvonne in TX and her “… Day”s.

T’ai Chi class at the activity center was great. 9 of us were able to maintain 6 ft separation, mostly, masks required. It was so good to see the old faithfuls, but so hard not to hug. Will continue until (and if) in person or zoomed BB&B resumes.

Heather :love: the view from your washing up window. I confess it. Basil envy! What IS the topping on your son’s birthday cake?
    Terri I used to read a book while strolling the streets of San Francisco on my lunch hour. My only near disaster was one time I stopped mid block, looked up, and was staring at the end of a huge I beam on a flat bed truck parked on the sidewalk. One more step and I’d have knocked myself out :lol: Another thing to be grateful for, that the troubles abated with the Good Friday agreement. We in the US need some statemenlike negotiators to bring justice and peace.
    Lisa gracefully done!
    Barbie is Washington or our county already in Phase 2?
    Tonya con VERY gratulations on your progress. Discarding 75 lbs is a huge accomplishment. Just try picking up a 50lb and 25lb sack of something and when you set them down you’ll realize how much easier you’ve made your life. Well done!
    Welcome @NavyWife55 we still have some VHS tapes and a player ;)
    (((pip)))
    Rita sending soothing cooling waves. Migraines stink and that one has been too long.
    Katla Thanks! I’ll watch for Sunshine Blue and Bountiful Blue, honestly our huckleberries are inedible :dizzy:
    Beth Brava for the A1C and blood sugar results! Does high cholesterol run in your family?
    Alllie when is your MD appointment? Are your joints still hurting?
    Machka hope that’s a diver in that “10 benefits to spending time alone” meme, s/he looks suicidal to me. :worried: I’d be very cautious about hugging any cat…
    Tracey thanks for the info about shields not providing enough protection for others so masks are required beneath. Surprised goggles would be required, the shields I’ve seen start at the forehead and completely cover the eyes as well as the rest of the face.

Now it’s time to get up and try to improve the step count before snoozing.

Joyful June 3- 3 things I’m grateful for: 1-Joe’s service gifts of love, today it was getting up from his nap to open up the hot tub for me and set me up with a reading lamp; 2-guidance that may lead me to a gentler groomer for Tumble; 3-the beautiful, peaceful, remote place in which we live.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps=3492 so far vits=2 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=1 mfp=2 clean 10 mins=8 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=1 rx= dance=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka hope that’s a diver in that “10 benefits to spending time alone” meme, s/he looks suicidal to me. :worried: I’d be very cautious about hugging any cat…

Cats can be wonderful huggers. :heart:

Rhody will "hug" a little bit occasionally, and I'm hoping he'll develop that more as time goes by.

But my dearly departed Sabre used to give me the greatest hugs. I still dream of those hugs at night ... I'll wake up and feel like he's been there and has given me another one of his hugs. I'd hold him and he'd put his arms around my neck and rub his face against mine and rest his head on my shoulder. It still brings tears to my eyes because of all my cats, I think I miss him the most.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,501 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo! Jigglejogging in place while watching Biggest Loser on DVR, just kept going, for 60 minutes! Offset today’s indulgence and achieved highest step count in recent memory.

A good reminder that the CICO is never as bad as you think, and there is always something you can do to improve it, as long as you stop eating and start moving.

Machka, know its cold comfort but sending you virtual ((hugs)).

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps=9542 !!! so far vits=3 log=3 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=1 mfp=3 clean 10 mins=8 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=1 rx= dance=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Barbara - Every supermarket, large and small, sells pots of basil in England. You just buy one and put it on your window sill. :D I do manage to keep mine going for ages, a year or so, and get quite a few pesto dinners out of it. I water often and very occasionally put a few drops of feed in the water. Once I was going away for a longish holiday, so decided to throw my old plant in the trash and buy a new one when I got back. When I returned and opened the bin it was still there, looking at me, and lived to fight another day. I also have a pot of parsley from the supermarket next to it. They sell cilantro as well, but I find the plants attract tiny little flies, so I only buy as needed for fresh and freeze some for Indian dishes. I used to grow all these things outside, but I'm lazy now. Just the hardy perennials and shrubs are out there, looking after themselves. I once bought a chilli plant from the supermarket for the windowsill, but it grew enormous and had far more chillies than anyone could eat (I made sauce, jam and gave some away etc) and, boy, was it HOT! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My son's cooking is amazing! He has only recently started making cakes, but that has gone well too. The topping is toffee popcorn, Barbara. I don't know if he made that himself. He made the honeycomb on his wife's cake recently. :o
    He was a professional chef at uni to earn extra money and had some of his own dishes on the menu, but eventually worked out that he could earn far more money as a waiter, especially if he only did the busy shifts. He even organised his lectures so that he was free for Fridays. :laugh:
    He is passionate about food, but the demands of a busy job and three picky children can take the fun out if it. He said to me that the one thing he wants at the end of lockdown is for me to cook dinner for him. He hasn't had a meal cooked for him in all this time!
    He used to be a wine expert, professionally, travelling all over the world, but unfortunately that led to alcoholism and he had to give up drinking completely. Over two years now. :D<3
    He is looking very slim and healthy these days with all the cycling!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

PS - Well done Barbara on the extra calorie burn! :drinker:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Our strawberries are coming along ...

cqan4v2kssvo.png

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,361 Member
    Options
    Question of the hour: why do I even bother to put away the blow dryer?

Tracey – I’m so glad things worked out well with your daughter.

Regarding masks: what surprises me is how many people wear masks but then they have them below their chins, pull them down to speak, etc, etc. Why bother if you’re not going to use it correctly? When we went to Lowe’s Hardware, none of the people helping us load the mulch into the car was wearing a mask, the lady who was at the register either didn’t have one on or else had one on below her chin (her nose and mouth were completely exposed). Why even be bothered?

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    My brother texted me being cranky saying that its my fault that i told mom.i locked the kitchen.. never ever did i tell her that ,i did distract when she asks about food because she forgets she eats..
    Sorta ticked me off. He said i have to treat this like a job.. well duh....
    Ugh....
    Oh well I am just hoping Jean isnt telling him stories...
    I am doing the best I can for goodness sake.