WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Tracy in Edmonton, get that throat thing looked at sooner rather than later. Thyroid and lymph nodes both come to mind, and rapid growth of either might be a serious thing.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Happy Peaceful Sunday to All! :)

Rebecca ~ Love all the photos you share! My DH has gotten very good this year about fixing his own breakfast and lunch. The main cooking I do is a good dinner. I've always had it in my head that you need a protein, carb, and green vegetable. I am able to do that a lot of the time, but, sometimes it's a one pot dish leaving out one of those 3 basics.

Allie ~ Your time at the beach sounds wonderful. I bet the house that has been handed down is full of nostalgia and good memories.

I have cleaned out and organized two bathroom cabinets and most of the kitchen cabinets. Will work on the kitchen again tomorrow. Boy, did it need it. I hope this sudden spurt of cleaning continues. SuziQ ~ Think I will see about getting the boric acid for the basement. The only problem is it is so crowded with stuff and dirty, that I don't know how I'll be able to distribute it.

Carol in GA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: I had a bone density test last year and it was easy. My bone density was holding steady, neither up nor down from the last test several years before. I still take bone density meds once weekly. Today was the day. I swallow the bone density pill and sit upright for at least half an hour. Then I can have coffee & food. I like the once a week version but didn’t want a daily regimen. So far, so good. :smiley:

(((LuciBThinner))) So sorry for the loss of your dog. I’m glad there is still one at home with you and hope it is doing well. :flowerforyou:

Sharon: I hope things go well for your daughter. :heart:

Our old dog has a tumor on the outside of his *kitten*. The vet says he will need surgery, but for now it is best to wait and see how things develop. We trust our Vet’s advice and will follow it. Our dog has back/hip problems that are unrelated to the tumor and he is getting pain meds for them.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Sharon - Sending good wishes for your daughter and your trip. <3

So many on here have family worries at the moment. Worrying about family is so hard. Big hugs. <3
    Rebecca - The story of your mum and her sister going so close together is so sad.

Luci - I actually think I was a terrible mother, but they seem to love me anyway. All I can say is, I wasn't as bad as my own mother. ;) But I had no good example and I was very wrapped up in my own dramas. I am blessed. I was determined to be a better grandmother than my mother was and more like my ex's mother. But I have learnt the most from my DH who has been an excellent mentor. It goes to show you can learn new tricks at any age. Most of the photos and videos come from my DDIL , who was very well brought up, unlike my two. :laugh:
    As for the trauma. ..... Sometimes I wish I could bill my father and mother for the money I've spent on therapy over the years. I've spent a life time working hard to understand it better. It's who I am and it defines me. I have had a LOT of help and pursued courses of every description over years. But yes, the writing probably helps more than anything. Somehow, getting it down in black and white takes the sting away and objectifies it. It becomes a story, rather than a live wound. I hope very much that my books will help others. It's always good to know we are not alone and that there is a way out of victimhood. I still have my triggers, but I am in control of my narrative. It can be tough going though. I think a good therapist, who can just listen, is the best first step. We all need support and validation. Good luck!

My non stick pan was extremely non stick. Hooray! Wonder how long that will last!

Watched 'Oklahoma' tonight. So many memories associated with that film/show. I think People Will Say We're In Love might be my inheritance track as I vividly remember my mother and our lodger singing it together in the kitchen when I was a child. Both DH and i enjoyed it, though I had forgotten how stagey the film is. I sang along to all the tunes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Has anyone logged into facebook lately? I'd been neglecting it for a while and logged in today. It was not what I expected. I thinkI"ll restart my computer and try again.

Katla
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Heather - you are absolutely correct. He builds me anything I ask for really and at Christmas he buys exactly what I want. I am very thankful for that and love him for it. I’ll share pics of the tables he made for the deck this past week.
    I’ve used those wildflower mats before and really had success with them. This year I planted some wildflower seeds. They are just starting to pop up out of the ground.

Kelly - I hadn’t thought of allergies. I’m not really allergic to anything on a regular basis but have found out I’m very sensitive to the masks at work and have been having several skin irritations because of them. I’ll take some antihistamine and see if that helps. Thank you.
    I was the same as you in our early married days, I regret some of the things I did back then that has made our marriage what it is today. I don’t regret the marriage and I’m not unhappy but I would sure do some things differently if I had to do it again.

Sharon - I will get it looked at. Thank you.

Katla - I am in Facebook daily. It is how I keep in contact with friends and family that are spread across the country. I enjoy the sharing of family pictures and everyone knows that I refuse to discuss any things that that will cause debate.

I had to go get some groceries today and braved Walmart. I have been shopping mostly at our local Coop grocery store but money was tight and I can get better deals at Walmart. I hate shopping now, I bet my blood pressure raises while I’m out. Which way to go, whether to pass someone or wait behind them while they read the ingredients list of 10 bottles of dressing. If I want to read the ingredients list do I need to buy the item because I touched it. It’s insanity and causes me so much anxiety!

Well it’s taken me all day to read and comment and now I think I should do something.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Has anyone logged into facebook lately? I'd been neglecting it for a while and logged in today. It was not what I expected. I thinkI"ll restart my computer and try again.

Katla

I use Chrome and Dave uses Edge so that we can stay logged in on our desktop. My FB looks the same but his is way different. He had trouble finding his games, but I think he figured it out. He does not like change!

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Took hours but got carrots cut up for salads y soups.Shreaded some as noodles to fry along with calabacita squash into noodles. Will add my chopped onion also later as I make vegetable spaghetti I added garlic spaghetti sauce but it’s recorded as meat sauce was same calorie same brand same sodium even. Made spaghetti noodles in the sauce to add to it y for JR as just spaghetti.

Excited with all the fruit y veggies at what I can make

Amber Tx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Dr Katie,
    I’m not fond of change, either, unless I’m the one who initiated the change. B)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did training games on the Wii today. Although the gym where I take the extremepump class will open tomorrow, I’m not going to go. The plan is to do an Off The ball DVD

Making breakfast right now. I should have gone to WalMart first Update: I did. Like I said, I like to go early when there aren’t as many people there. I did get a bag of dark chocolate kisses (they only had the large bags of Dove) to have as a snack. Milk chocolate doesn’t seem to satisfy me but dark chocolate does. WalMart is now taking returns and they’ve lowered the minimum for pick up. It’s now $30, was $35. I should have used the pick up today but then I wouldn’t have known that they’re accepting returns, so it was probably a good thing. Plus, you usually don’t have to wait in line to get in

Barbara – our gas prices have increased. But I do find that I’m using much less gas now. I’d like to hear the mower story, too

Terri – that’s exactly what your stomach is telling you. If I have a lot of fat, it tells me “I don’t think so”

Karen – you know, I don’t have many photos at all of my grandparents on my father’s side. And only one that was taken by a photographer. Well, they probably looked at going to a photographer as a waste of money

Allie
    – so glad you have a happy place. It’s really worth it. I guess I’d say that my happy place is in the pool listening to the waterfall.

Rebecca
    – why did the commissary remove the biscuits and chicken because of the coronavirus?

Went in the pool then strung some popcorn. I tell you, at the rate I’m stringing, I’ll have enough for next year!

Went for my after dinner walk and then in the pool (yes, again)

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, do you find it helpful with your spouse that you at least have the physical closeness enough to pat, or hug, or hold hands? I find I miss this more than greater physical intimacy since my husband died. I’m glad my youngest daughter and her son and/or lively dog come over at lease once a week. We’re both pretty observant of distancing, so we allow ourselves to hug at the end of our visits before showering.

I'm not one for much physical contact. I actually think I'm somewhere on the autistic spectrum. My husband and I sit at opposite ends of a reasonably large room, if we're actually in the room together. Much of the time, he's outside in the garden. We will occasionally hold hands on a walk, although that can be awkward because I walk faster than him so I sort of end up dragging him.

But since I moved to Australia, I've made a point of hugging him at least once a day. It's not something that really comes naturally to me ... I don't go around hugging other people and I've gone long periods of time without hugging anyone ... but I figured it was important for us. And when he was in the hospital, particularly in ICU for 3 weeks, I actually discovered that I missed those hugs.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla - I am in Facebook daily. It is how I keep in contact with friends and family that are spread across the country. I enjoy the sharing of family pictures and everyone knows that I refuse to discuss any things that that will cause debate.

Tracey in Edmonton

Yep, me too.

I use it as a tool to connect with family and friends around the world, and for information on topics like cycling, photography, and travel. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    pe41szsqrl9w.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Its 10:30 at night and I just got home from New Hampshire..im exhausted
    I love my brother dearly.. and yes im lazy and can be a procrastinator.. but he started screamimg at me because i hadnt helped with anything.. he is like a whirling dervish as it is.. always doing something. And it does take alot to keep an old place like that going . So i tried getting blankets to set up the side porch he painted,i didnt get the right blankets to light a color,you know with people and dogs etc.. so he stops what he is doing and gives me the riot act on what it needs .pick a broom or vacuum you see what needs doing.You have been coming up longer than me and I shouldn't have to tell you what to do..he was going on and on...I took him and our friend Rob out for seafood last night,bought a case of water up,texted him before I came to see if he needed anything. No..
    I packed my stuff ,and he starts yelling about see this is how you raised your son,no confrontation ,take the easy way out.. meanwhile both dogs are hiding and im in tears...yes I grew up going up there. The beginning of the season asked if they needed help no,we got it...geesh iI even gave him 20 bucks..
    I don't feel welcome there anymore honestly..and I am sure Sean and Jean will.have something to say.yes it is alot of work with both that house and the lake house and the one they live in..
    Sorry for venting. Im just wiped out.. going to try and get some sleep.. we shall see
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Allie - I’m so sorry your time at the cabin was cut short and ruined. I hope that your brother apologizes to you and that you get some peace soon.