June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    10k humid run today. I tried to push the pace a litte, and didn’t do so bad. But clearly felt harder than normal. And the effort was there but the pace not so much. Everything @PastorVincent has posted about heat running is so true.

Oh, and ordered Nathan running vest. Was on sale and had reward points. Hopefully it fits well - on my small frame. I just realized that I need way more water/electrolytes then my running belt water bottles can hold.
    Just hope it’s not too heavy feeling or that it would effect my running.

It will feel heavy at first. A standard hydration pack holds around 50oz of water. That is just over 3 pounds of water by itself. Once you add the weight of the vest and anything else you might stick in it, you could easily hit 5-6 pounds. The nice thing is a well-made vest spreads the weight out so you notice it less, but you probably will notice it at first. Over time you get used to it and it sort of fades away.

That makes sense. It comes in Wednesday, so I’ll give it a try on my long run on the weekend.

One great thing is it starts out feeling heavy, but gets lighter as you go till the end where you barely notice it!

Hoping for the best!

I do not know what you wear when you run, but the top in your profile picture probably will be a bad choice. I wear a sleeveless singlet and I would not want to go less than that. Any place the straps go is a potential chaffing point. Pay attention to how it sits and rubs before you head out. Everyone's body shape is a bit different so you just have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    10k humid run today. I tried to push the pace a litte, and didn’t do so bad. But clearly felt harder than normal. And the effort was there but the pace not so much. Everything @PastorVincent has posted about heat running is so true.

Oh, and ordered Nathan running vest. Was on sale and had reward points. Hopefully it fits well - on my small frame. I just realized that I need way more water/electrolytes then my running belt water bottles can hold.

It will feel heavy at first. A standard hydration pack holds around 50oz of water. That is just over 3 pounds of water by itself. Once you add the weight of the vest and anything else you might stick in it, you could easily hit 5-6 pounds. The nice thing is a well-made vest spreads the weight out so you notice it less, but you probably will notice it at first. Over time you get used to it and it sort of fades away.

That makes sense. It comes in Wednesday, so I’ll give it a try on my long run on the weekend.

One great thing is it starts out feeling heavy, but gets lighter as you go till the end where you barely notice it!

Hoping for the best!

I do not know what you wear when you run, but the top in your profile picture probably will be a bad choice. I wear a sleeveless singlet and I would not want to go less than that. Any place the straps go is a potential chaffing point. Pay attention to how it sits and rubs before you head out. Everyone's body shape is a bit different so you just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Oh yes this! I went out in a crop once and had to stop after 2.5k cause I could feel it rubbing on my lower back. Nasty!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    06/02/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.8
    06/03/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 9.3
    06/04/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 12.7
    06/05/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 15.9
    06/06/20 :::: 6.8 :::: 22.7
    06/07/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 27.7
    06/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 30.8
    06/09/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.9

7 am run today was a success (I mean, it happened as scheduled, it wasn't necessarily a great run). Let's see if I can do the same tomorrow when it is supposed to be even hotter.

• nicoylehoyle
    nicoylehoyle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01:::: 4.8 :::: 4.8
    06/02::::4.2 :::::9.0
    06/03::::5.3 :::::14.3
    06/04:::: 4.2 :::::18.5
    06/05:::: 4.8 :::::23.3
    06/06::::: 3.5 :::: 26.8
    06/07::::::3.0 ::::::29.8
    06/08::::::1.5:::::::31.3
    06/09:::::::4.2::::::35.5

Goal: 100
    Awesome encouragement, everyone!! ❤️
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @shanaber I got the toe protectors in the mail today. Thanks so much! I can't wait to try them out.

Yay @kgirlhart! My husband was sure the post office would kick it back because the envelope was too pouffy. 😁
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile glad the curfews have been lifted!
    @mbaker566 - definitely think you could save all that fur and have something made from it for the winter, a sweater or a scarf or something. Even though Hobbes has a very short coat he sheds so much, but little tiny hair everywhere! In the picture Daisy looks like she is saying 'hair, what hair? Definitely not from me!'
    Have you tried a Dremel with their nails? I can't clip Hobbes' but I spent the $$ and got a special diamond Dremel bit and he is pretty good with it. His nails grow so fast though that I have never been able to keep them really short, at least not as short as I would like them to be. We are doing them 2x/wk now and occasionally an added day when he goes to doggy daycare, and that is just to keep them from hitting on the floor.
    @hamsterwheel6 - I haven't had any chafing issues with my vest but make sure it fits well, snug but not too snug with nothing digging in anywhere. Also you will probably need to learn as I did how to fill the bladder and get all or mostly all the air out so it doesn't slosh around. I found that more annoying than the extra weight. Bonus - when you get to run without it you feel so light 😁
    @honunui - oh how I have missed your snorkeling pictures! Love them!

Cross training day today and a good thing too. We broke heat records from many years ago and by about 10 degrees, hitting 103F today. I have appointments tomorrow morning so no run tomorrow either. It is still going to be hot but trending down a bit (yay).
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    So I've not run for almost 2 weeks now, and I'm finally pain free today. I did my hop test today and I can hop pain free! I'm still not running till Thursday because I'd rather have an extra 2 days off and be fine, then run too early and irritate it again.

@MobyCarp would be so proud!

EXACTLY what I thought as I read it, too. Funny, I was thinking about him just yesterday.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I’m sorry you are having to deal with all of that. I hope things can work out the way they need.

@Avidkeo Oh no! Maybe you just need a little more rest.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I feel your pain. I got up early again too. Heading out in a few to get my run in, but it's already miserable out there. Since my AC is on the fritz, the treadmill would be miserable too.

@HonuNui Glad you were able to go snorkeling again. Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

@Faebert Glad you had a great run.

Thanks @marisap2010 .
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @shanaber i have but even with attempts of desentization it didn't get better.
    daisy i think was neglected(grooming) but she was good when i trimmed a few. her quicks are too long

didn't run last night but goal is to get a least a mile. humidity is just part of the summer here. got to suck it up
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui great pictures!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

@hamsterwheel6 Sounds just like me. It's hard to find a good fit for anything because I am a small person. They had those belts with three bottles on sale at the running store but then I decided against it because I hate the feeling of things riding up and I could imagine the water bottles banging my butt as I ran .... I hope the handheld I got is enough!

@quilteryoyo My heart goes out to you. That is so much to deal with. I am a caretaker by nature as well and I can empathize with the emotional toll it takes. I am praying for you. Also, I hope you know that there are people here who are really so very proud of you for getting it all done and still find ways to care for yourself. Also, that run sounds awful BUT YOU DID IT!

I wanted to run tonight, but we have street tacos on the menu and I don't think a run is a real possibility. Maybe tomorrow? Except I Have to get my daughter's cake + bday wrapping stuff. She will be fourteen! This whole week has been such a debacle with her birthday stuff. I don't know why I put myself through the stress and anxiety when I know that on her birthday, she will feel so loved and special and she will be so grateful. It isn't about whether or not every detail was perfect. She'll remember how she FELT, not what she got. I HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS.

I have been doing PT to try to heal my legs - They feel soooo much better today but I still need to taper and rest I think. I don't know what mileage I want to do Saturday - I'll probably say I'm going to do a modest seven miles and end up running twenty. Just kidding. Sort of.

Now. Here's my question - - -I am an apple watch person. I have a series 1. It is still functional. When I upgrade, I don't want to have to get data on it because guess what, I don't check my email while running.

I know the majority of you are Garmin people. Why Garmin as opposed to Apple? Convert me! And then tell me all the reasons why it is silly to buy a new watch when my watch works just fine. :wink:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I have a pretty small frame and my Nathan vest fits fine (I was also worried about the fit). The comments about the weight are right - it took me a bit to get used to it! My first run with it wasn't fun at all and I thought I wouldn't be able to use it, but I kept going and now it's not a problem. Plus, like people mentioned, it's getting lighter as you go and that helps a lot.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I have a pretty small frame and my Nathan vest fits fine (I was also worried about the fit). The comments about the weight are right - it took me a bit to get used to it! My first run with it wasn't fun at all and I thought I wouldn't be able to use it, but I kept going and now it's not a problem. Plus, like people mentioned, it's getting lighter as you go and that helps a lot.

Mine is another brand, but I'm short and large-busted and had similar worries. In my case, it took a bit of adjusting, and I have to stop myself from obsessively overtightening it or it makes my ribcage ache. I also discovered that crossing the two front straps diagonally instead of straight (so top strap goes into bottom clip on the other side and vice versa) stopped it moving around.
    The weight takes a little getting used to but as others have said you get used to it after a few tries, and it does lighten up as you drink it.
    The worst thing for me was the noise. I couldn't bear the sloshing sound with every step and it took a LOT of attempts to learn to suck the air out to stop that happening.
    Having said all of that, I couldn't run in the summer without it now and even in the winter I take it on all my long runs because pockets, pockets, pockets!