Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options
14567810»

Replies

• pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles yesterday. I have to say every step was a struggle! It is so strange that some days you can run forever and other days every step is torture. It was more a mind struggle than a body one. UGH! I stopped and took breaks. Terrible run, but I got it done!

the finish is what's most important! It is so frustrating, especially when a shorter run is worse than a long one! Way to push through it!
  • pverbarg
    Options
    Im off to see the ortho this morning... My L leg and hip really isnt any better and because of the weirdness of the pain (doesnt get better with rest, heat or ice) I think I need an xray to make sure I dont have a fracture. Hopefully its nothing and then I can stop worrying about it ... I will report back!

hoping things are ok!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I managed 11 miles of jog/walk this morning, and was surprised at how much more jogging I was able to do (an hour and 40 minutes of jogging). Still not blistering speeds, but right now I want to make sure I achieve the distance. I suspect if I was working on speed at the same time, I wouldn't be finding the experience so enjoyable!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10 mile training run yesterday! I have my first 1/2 on Sept 24, so the training has been going on since June and going really well. I was a little nervous about 10 miles, which is strange since the 8's and 9's went relatively well, but it was a mind thing. I set up my route.. filled up my water belt, and went! It was actually really great! I kept my pace slower like the plan called for (I was actually 30 seconds ahead of the slow pace but felt great) and just enjoyed it!!! When I got done, I was tired, of course, but I know now that if I can do 10 miles I will for sure be ready for 13.1!!!! No problem! It's mind over matter right now, and my mind is confident!!!

Now I'm doing a 2 mile recovery run later today and I'm looking forward to just an "easy" 2 miles... running is awesome!
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    Great job, everyone!

Husband and I just started training for the Savannah Rock & Roll Half Marathon in November - it will be my fourth half and his third, and our second one together. Since we know we can do the distance, we are trying to incorporate speed work and strength work in order to run better and faster. Then, after Savannah, we are planning to do the Madrid marathon in April 2012...I've done one full marathon (Chicago 2010), but it will be hubby's first.

Did 4.5 steamy miles yesterday in about 48 minutes. Cycled with a friend today. Feeling the burn! :-)
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10 mile training run yesterday! I have my first 1/2 on Sept 24, so the training has been going on since June and going really well. I was a little nervous about 10 miles, which is strange since the 8's and 9's went relatively well, but it was a mind thing. I set up my route.. filled up my water belt, and went! It was actually really great! I kept my pace slower like the plan called for (I was actually 30 seconds ahead of the slow pace but felt great) and just enjoyed it!!! When I got done, I was tired, of course, but I know now that if I can do 10 miles I will for sure be ready for 13.1!!!! No problem! It's mind over matter right now, and my mind is confident!!!

Now I'm doing a 2 mile recovery run later today and I'm looking forward to just an "easy" 2 miles... running is awesome!
    What is the name of your 1/2? I think I am actually doing the same one!
  • Nikstergirl
    Options

It's the Park 2 Park 1/2 in Holland, Michigan. If you're doing that.. we need to meet! I've got a friend (not on MFP, but old college roomie) coming from 9 hours away to run it with me! It's not her first, but it's my first and she wanted to be there for me!!!! Getting excited!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options

It's the Park 2 Park 1/2 in Holland, Michigan. If you're doing that.. we need to meet! I've got a friend (not on MFP, but old college roomie) coming from 9 hours away to run it with me! It's not her first, but it's my first and she wanted to be there for me!!!! Getting excited!
    That is the one I am planning on doing. I love Holland! I am not registered yet though because I am trying to make sure my husband doesn't have work. Fingers crossed though that it works.
  • drakeswife09
    drakeswife09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a half. Hoping to run the St. Louis Rock and Roll Half Marathon in October!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Started training this past Saturday for the Santa Clarita (California) half marathon on Nov. 6. Kicked off training with a 6 mile run incorporating 4 x 400m at race pace.

This will be my 6th half. My PR is 2:06:12, hopefully I can beat that this time!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would introduce myself. I am a 31 yo mother of four, ages 7 to 4 months. I have just become addicted to running and am determined to get in the best shape of my life. I started when the baby was six weeks old and have a 5k (late August), 10k (late September), another 5k (mid October), half marathon (mid November and December) and full marathon in January. Not sure if I will be ready for the full, but I am aiming for it. I am currently doing Jeff Galloway training program. I am in no way fast, but slow and steady :-) I've worked up to 7 mile long runs and this week and am going to incorporate some accelerated runs in my workouts. As for hill training, what do some of you guys do that live where there are no hills? We are on the prairie with no hills within an hour radius.

Do you have Freeway Overpasses? They are short and boring but can be better than nothing... else treadmill is probably your next best option.
  • Nikstergirl
    Options

That is the one I am planning on doing. I love Holland! I am not registered yet though because I am trying to make sure my husband doesn't have work. Fingers crossed though that it works.

That is awesome!!! You'll have to let me know if you're doing it so we can make contact in the crowd! I signed up with my college roomie and may have another friend coming to run as well. I'm going to run the route for one of my last training runs... it's really pretty!!!! I hope you come!
  • kotyjoe
    kotyjoe Posts: 9
    Options
    I am signed up for a half on October 15th. I started a 10 week training program this week. Tonight was 3 miles on a very hilly course around my neighborhood, it felt good and I set a new PR for this course.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started training for a half marathon 2 weeks ago, should finish the program sometime in October. I ran a handful of 5K's this past winter/spring after starting C25K last fall as well as a 5 miler. My next big race will be a 10K in November and probably will shoot for a 1/2 after that.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Reporting back to say I finished my half marathon yesterday - hooray! Really pleased with my time of 2 hours 18 minutes and 48 seconds, because I've officially gone from couch potato to athlete in 7 months. Booyah! Blogged about it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/flausa
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Flausa: wonderful job!! Congratulations!!!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Beautiful 11 mile run this morning over a new trail. So good to see so many people of all ages and sizes out enjoying the day and being active. The weather was perfect, which make a run so much easier :bigsmile:

My half is October 16... six weeks away!
  • pverbarg
    Options
    Way to go Flausa! Great job

Forgot to report in that I did run 1st half on Saturday - it was hot as all getout but made it through with only walking the water stops. 3:11:31 this time which was my target time. I've signed up for a small one on October 2nd then it's time to start building up my speed for next spring!