Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    We are at probably less than 1% mask use in public here. This is frustrating because it works best when everyone takes precautions.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Study-100-face-mask-use-could-crush-second-15333170.php

Weird, we are probably at about 75% here from what I observe and indoor public space is required. Then again, I find the talk about second wave ironic as it's not clear anyone is out of the first wave, I don't think we are, and after the past couple weeks no way. But we are opening. (I realize again I'm being bitchy but I find it so unfair that I see so much more compliance around me than others report yet our numbers are so much worse, which until recently I just assumed was density and now is likely also protests, etc.)

I'm south of Boston and have seen 100% mask/face covering usage in grocery stores for some time. I almost saw 100% usage everywhere else, but my OH saw two men at Home Depot not wearing masks, so that broke the streak, but we are still in the very high 90s in my area.

My state took major action in March, and our chart has been going in the right direction for some time.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/massachusetts-coronavirus-cases.html

960fcd139a57e18d5a939c18893d192c.png

IL as a state is heading in the right direction as well: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/illinois-coronavirus-cases.html

e072bb4553da1a08d80da916694b027e.png

Cook County is following along with that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It's crazy how different the mask situation is based on where you are. Even just in my area, the Food Lion has no signage or enforcement and I was one of the few people in the store wearing a mask. The Walmart right down the street has signage, floor arrows, hand sanitizer stations, and all but a few were wearing masks.

I do fine wearing the basic cloth masks I have under normal circumstances. I mean it's annoying and I'm happy to take it off once I can, but that's it. But I'll admit the other day it was quite humid out and I had to book it up a hill to the back door of the building, and man was I sucking air. I typically don't seem to breathe as deep when the humidity is high so I guess it just compounded the issue. Still better than the mystery that still is covid-19 though.

That's interesting because I've seen signs at every store. Wal-Mart admittedly has the most signs and the most complicated setup. It was confusing the first time I went in months because it looks like one door is blocked off with no signs at all. But as it turns out, they were just trying to separate the In vs. the Out doors. As I approached the store, I just saw barricades over the In door and assumed it was broken or something and they were trying to block it off until it could be fixed. So I went in through the Out doors and I noticed there were barricades between the 2 doors inside. On my way out, I saw some people coming in through the In doors. So I followed the barricades and it turned out that there were an opening off to the side of the store, so you have to go about 100-200 feet over to the side, then enter through the opening in the barricades and follow the side of the building back to the door. It would have been helpful if they actually had signs for that. I assume they had employees directing traffic at one time and now assume everyone knows. But not everyone shops at Wal-Mart often enough (people like me) to have been there early on with this setup and to have learned the new system. Signs would help there.

Anyway, nobody else at Wal-Mart last week was wearing a mask. Not even employees. Nobody seemed to adhere to the signs about keeping distance either. It was just like everywhere else.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just interesting. Mom and dad=no masks with 2 kids, maybe 8 & 12, both masked. Why?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I'm in Nebraska, and not much of the daily grind has changed here. It did for about 6-8 weeks, but now things are opening back up. I work at 3 COVID testing facilities, so I have dealt with a lot of the highs and lows. Personally, other than my kids having online learning, I still go about business as usual.

The frustrating thing right now is that the schools still don't know how they are going to operate come fall. They allowed families to vote on 3 options, all of which are ugly....either A. We continue remote learning (which was a complete joke and left many kids, mine included, feeling set back) B. Schools split students down by 50% by rotating every other week. Again, not a great option since many parents will be back to work and daycare costs are outrages. C. Split the school day in half, with 50% of the kids going in the morning and the other 50% in the afternoon.

As for prep, our shelves are well stocked in the stores, with the exception of Lysol wipes. Most businesses are back up and running, and more and more people are starting to come out. As of yesterday's press conference, the hospitals in my area still have 80% vents available, and 75% of beds available.

I was incredibly sick in February, and testing negative for the FLU. One of the gals I was training just had an antibody test done because he mom was sick in January....they both had antibodies. If had the extra cash, I'd get tested because I am pretty much convinced I had it.

Huh? You have to pay to be tested for Covid? We don't.

I meant for the antibody testing, but yes....we have had people calling stating that they thought the COVID test was free. We send the tests through LabCorp and they have been charging nearly $100 for the test.

I haven't seen a bill for mine yet (antibody) - dr office made me sign a form saying I understood it may not be covered. Now my insurance says on their website that they will cover all covid related treatment and testing with no copays. They also refunded my copay for therapy because I did teletherapy.

Now if you give blood, they will give you a free antibody test. I think because they want to know if your blood has antibodies anyway, so they'll be testing anyway, and just give you the result.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The worse part about the mask is when I get hot, bothered and mad. :)

I got a thinner one that works better but when I am near others I wear a mask when at Lowes, WM, etc which is seldom. When I walk down the road or out bush hogging in a field there is not need protect me from getting Covid-19. While most do not wear them in stores around here it does give me peace of that I am not stressing out another person due to not wearing a mask. Masks are a non issue just like wearing pants on a hot day is non issue. It is just something you to better fit into society. :)

If one is having trouble breathing due to wearing a mask most likely should not be out in public places period.

If someone has a legitimate medical restriction from wearing a mask, I don't think they should be expected to completely withdraw from society. The rest of us who can should wear masks to help account for the few who cannot, just as we don't expect those who cannot be vaccinated to withdraw from society . . . we get our vaccinations so that herd immunity helps protect them.

If those of us who can do what we *should*, then we will not have many instances of forcing others into lives of unnecessary restriction. It's such a tiny thing to ask of us (and I say this as someone who hates the mask for the psychological reasons listed above).

I am talking about people very likely to die if they get COVID-19 should not be out in public places in this pandemic. Since most of us do not think, eat and sleep the way we know we "should" often then we know acting in our best interest concerning COVID-19 is viewed by most has highly optional. :)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm in Nebraska, and not much of the daily grind has changed here. It did for about 6-8 weeks, but now things are opening back up. I work at 3 COVID testing facilities, so I have dealt with a lot of the highs and lows. Personally, other than my kids having online learning, I still go about business as usual.

The frustrating thing right now is that the schools still don't know how they are going to operate come fall. They allowed families to vote on 3 options, all of which are ugly....either A. We continue remote learning (which was a complete joke and left many kids, mine included, feeling set back) B. Schools split students down by 50% by rotating every other week. Again, not a great option since many parents will be back to work and daycare costs are outrages. C. Split the school day in half, with 50% of the kids going in the morning and the other 50% in the afternoon.

As for prep, our shelves are well stocked in the stores, with the exception of Lysol wipes. Most businesses are back up and running, and more and more people are starting to come out. As of yesterday's press conference, the hospitals in my area still have 80% vents available, and 75% of beds available.

I was incredibly sick in February, and testing negative for the FLU. One of the gals I was training just had an antibody test done because he mom was sick in January....they both had antibodies. If had the extra cash, I'd get tested because I am pretty much convinced I had it.

I meant for the antibody testing, but yes....we have had people calling stating that they thought the COVID test was free. We send the tests through LabCorp and they have been charging nearly $100 for the test.

I haven't seen a bill for mine yet (antibody) - dr office made me sign a form saying I understood it may not be covered. Now my insurance says on their website that they will cover all covid related treatment and testing with no copays. They also refunded my copay for therapy because I did teletherapy.

Now if you give blood, they will give you a free antibody test. I think because they want to know if your blood has antibodies anyway, so they'll be testing anyway, and just give you the result.

I need to look into the blood donation/antibody test because I have been wanting to donate for a while, just waiting until I felt physically able to (it takes me a LONG time to recover).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

This isn't universal. I donated last Thursday and they are not doing that.

They aren't doing that everywhere here, but I googled about and found a center (with locations around the country) that is:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/chicago-blood-center-offering-free-covid-19-antibody-test-with-donation/

Interesting.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The Red Cross bus was parked at the Lowe's front door 3 days ago but I did not talk to anyone doing the collecting. The last I read the antibody testing results where high in false negative and false positive results. I want the test but am waiting for improved testing results.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

This isn't universal. I donated last Thursday and they are not doing that.

They aren't doing that everywhere here, but I googled about and found a center (with locations around the country) that is:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/chicago-blood-center-offering-free-covid-19-antibody-test-with-donation/

Interesting.

Did a GIS and apparently the Red Cross is doing it everywhere. Other blood donation centers are doing it on a location-by-location basis.