WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    45 min done on the exercise bike with the new gel seat pad on- It doesn't seem to be helping. Tail bone HURTS/butt is numb. Not sure if padded bike shorts will help or one of the big wide seats would be better. I used to be able to do 2 hrs no problem. Going to hit the cardio machine for 15 then back to the bike or the exercise ball.
    Stayed on target for meals. 834cal. so far so can have a little snack when I am done.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    w0h0xbc4nuo6.png
    oa00ymmswy0g.png
    2regujbhhwja.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Good morning!
    I survived the night pretty well. I decamped upstairs and had all the windows open including the Velux. Tonight I may add a fan. It's already hot at 6.30 am. Our bedroom does not have opening windows, they are all stuck shut with rust from the sea salt, and only one tiny window opens in the gym to get some through draft. The front windows, away from the prevailing wind, do open. Downstairs is ok. DH doesn't mind the heat. I was still hot, but took all my clothes off and survived. Friday we are due storms, maybe earlier. Just got to get through today.

Terri - I'm not meeting in houses yet, even family. My grandchildren are all back at school and my son is out and about a lot. Outside at a distance will have to do. We used to catch everything every time we visited! Norovirus was fun! I didn't get it badly, wasn't actually sick, but DH did. Every cold etc went through everyone. Roll on a vaccine! Your incidence in NI is pretty good now, I think. B and H was pretty good, but all these b..... tourists! There's still no bars etc open, only takeaway. I hope they take their bugs home with them.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Machka- Hooray! Good wishes for a speedy recovery. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Terry I have often had the "red" eye. My dad used to suffer from the condition too, he went to the doctors and was told it was nothing to worry about. I wondered if it was stress related as my eye often "exploded" if I was under stress, but it could happen at anytime for no apparent reason. I didn't know the medical term for it though, and often didn't know it happened until my daughter said "Oh I can't look at you, your eye yuk!" Charming!

It was too hot yesterday, I could hardly cope and today looks like being another scorcher B) I'm taking my mums cat to the vet this morning, he's a stray that mum adopted a few years back, we think he belonged to a neighbour who had moved but left two cats behind, mum started leaving food for them outside, gradually the ginger one moved in :) not sure what happened to the other one, I hope someone else took him in. Would you believe I'm taking our cat Logan to the vet this afternoon for a similar problem, both cats losing weight, off their food and looking unwell. It will be interesting to see what the diagnosis is as they are going to different vets.

Well I'd better get a quick tidy up etc before going for mums cat, it's already getting unbearably hot, so I'll be fit for nothing later. I used to love the heat, but now I can't cope, I blame the menopause!

Take care
    Love Viv UK <3

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    I woke up at 3 am but feel rested which is good. Did find some outdated meds that did help.. not in excrutiating pain and was able to sleep.
    Going to have my tea and hop in the shower.
    Will have to ger Faith in the shower today
    I did set up an echo Dot for Faith and it is hidden behind a frame ,because she is good at moving stuff around..
    Dont know when her hospital bed will be delivered but that will help a bit..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    Very humid overnight and feeling the heat working out indoors. It’s hazy sun so must make sure to wear sun protection when gardening today. I have fair skin, and burn very easily.

machka: Bravissimo! Positive vibes for his speedy recovery from the surgery! Great use of the waiting time!!!

Heather: DYD lives quite close, so we see her regularly, albeit at safe distance. DED/SiL are working from home and avoiding close contact with others, and DYGS hasn’t left the house since lockdown. NI has been one of the least affected areas in UK, so I’m probably being overly cautious, but It’s a long way to drive there and back just to sit in the garden. DED doesn’t drive, So I think we will have to make do with our regular Skype meetings for now.

Viv UK I hadn’t noticed anything until DH pointed it out to me. I wasn’t too worried about it after I googled it. Just curious. I don’t have much sight in that eye because of a congenital defect in the optical nerve, so couldn’t tell if it was affecting sight, which was one of the things that you’re supposed to go see a doctor about.

I’ve done a 20 minute warm up walk, a Lesley Sansone fast mile with dumbbells, and a 35 minute standing Pilates workout. Now I’m ready for my breakfast.

DH and our neighbours are already working on the fence, and hoping to finish it today. Then we can reinstate the plants that had to be lifted to get the job done.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Looks like international travel won't begin until July 2021 at the earliest for Australians. :neutral:
    https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/qantas-boss-alan-joyce-pushes-back-international-travel-date/12391728

"The Qantas announcement doesn't rule out the possibility of flights between Australia, New Zealand and other countries in the "trans-Tasman bubble". It does, however, suggest you won't be going overseas anytime soon."

"Countries with low controlled cases like Taiwan, Vietnam and Singapore are tipped to be the most likely destinations to reopen. That could happen before mid-next year. A few other countries, including small islands in the Pacific, could make the list too. The rest of the world, including big destinations like Europe, the UK, the US, Canada, South America and India, are probably out of bounds for at least a year.

"Unrestricted travel probably won't be back until we have a vaccine," Chris said.

When it does come back, there'll be big changes. The September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks saw airlines and airports drastically increase security; COVID-19 will see a similar "seismic shift" to health and hygiene rules, Chris says. It'll be much less breezy. Proof of vaccination may be necessary to fly or take out travel insurance and continents and countries may be a patchwork of zones with varying risks of infection.

"Everyone needs to be prepared for the fact that travel is going to have changed when we are travelling again," Chris said."

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    Machka: I wish the authorities here were being as sensible. I don’t think we will be flying anywhere anytime soon.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka So great that your husband's hernia surgery went well! Now for your upcoming procedure! I think you mentioned that you will need to stay overnight in the hospital for your deviated septum surgery in mid-July?

Heather I'm confused about the school term for your grandchildren. Children in the US are out of school until September.

Today Going out for my first walk of the day with the dogs in a few minutes; then some gardening, more work on my drip irrigation system, and general goofing off outside for fun. At noon my spouse has an EMG scheduled to assess why her forefoot is still numb 6 months after Achilles tendon surgery. I will walk in the parking lot while she has that done, as I did yesterday while she was getting her colonoscopy. Will listen to Sweet Honey and the Rock, Celtic Women, John Whelan, Carolina shag, Sousa marches. Quite the mix! Keeping it interesting. Yesterday while I was walking I headed down a paved road I discovered on the grounds of the medical complex and was amazed to discover a very posh gated community with amazing houses. I enjoyed looking around as I walked; when I got home and looked it up, I saw that the houses sell for about $1.5 million. The community is called James Riverwatch. Richmond is located on the James River, and most of these homes have a view and/or private access to the river. Pretty fancy! Very steep hills and driveways, I would think no fun during snowy/icy conditions. Great sledding, though.

Time to get on with it…have a lovely day, ladies!!!

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    Happy June all!

I’m a returning MFPer - and wanted to say hello! I was diagnosed with early onset osteoporosis last year - and had to trade out swimming at the gym for brisk walking everyday for my bones. Just bought a treadmill for the house because it’s just too darn hot to be outside where I live!

I spend most days working PT from home - hanging with our pup - and am currently teaching myself to play the banjolele! Fitness goals are to lose a pound a month and get in at least 30 vigorous minutes a day on the treadmill.

Pleased to meet you all!

Melanie
    Fabulous Las Vegas

Hi, Melanie in Las Vegas, ( @RockinMBC ) and welcome. Sounds as if you've got some really realistic goals set. Don't worry that it took this long for someone to notice you, this thread moves really fast. We're very glad you're here! I lived in Las Vegas for four years (Air Force wife... well, ex-Air Force wife now. :) ) Summers are no joke there. Stay with us, visit often - this thread starts again each month, and there will be a link at the end of June to lead you to the next one. It's a great group, very chatty, but drop into a conversation wherever you feel comfortable.

Machka
    - so pleased your husband's surgery went well.

@dflk202000
    - I have never been able to ride any bike seat without going numb other than the quite wide seats on recumbent bikes, where your feet are out in front of you.

Heather - hot here, too, only the early mornings are even reasonably comfortable... so I try to get whatever needs doing outside done before noon and retire to the house in the blazing hot afternoons. We do have air conditioning, thank goodness.

Karen - hope there are some reasonable results from the EMG.

Machka: I wish the authorities here were being as sensible. I don’t think we will be flying anywhere anytime soon.

No, I have to intentions of flying anywhere anytime soon, either. In fact, Corey and I are in discussions about when to go ahead and get a few chickens... and once we get animals, we won't be traveling at all, except around the 11 acres we own. I'm OK with that. If someone wants to see me, they can come see me. :smiley:

And the answer on the chickens was... probably in the spring. Want to build a chicken tractor this year, get it ready for them. I still remember my father deciding to buy four pigs on the spur of the moment, without having a pen built for them. The pigs took over the living room, while the family lived in other places in the house, for about two weeks. My mother was NOT happy. :)

Off to the elliptical and rower. Blessing my husband's prescience in buying the elliptical, it's been amazing to work out at home - Heather, you were spot on with that one.

Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies!

Machka Will certainly keep DH in my prayers during his surgery. I had to have hernia repair twice with large mesh (located higher up on side than many because of the accident) after my TBI, but I realize his is much more severe than mine was. I agree that the anesthesia is the worst part of the surgery, but they have a lot of experience with people having to go under without seizure meds, etc. I am confident he will do very well and recovery completely. UPDATE: So glad the surgery went well!!
    I lost track…when is your deviated septum repair?

Katla Sending prayers for safety in the Covid dense area! I am sure you will be extra careful with sanitizing in the situation. I do believe the medical institutions are being incredibly good about wiping down between every patient, etc., so I trust you will be safe.

Pip I recommend retirement highly! It has been great having the freedom to do what we want whenever we want! I have noticed DH is so much calmer now. It took a while to get used to the idea we could control our schedules, but once you are used to it (and to the change in your identity – not being the roll you were in at work) it is truly lovely!! Enjoy!! <3

Dr. Katie Glad DH is coming along after surgery! His keeping up with 10K steps is wonderful! Hope he is feeling 100% soon!

Allie Hope your gout eases up quickly!!

Beth So happy you had such a great day! Not many people have been able to feel that way lately! It is refreshing to read! I’m sure having the landscaping beautiful and your hair freshly cut has got to feel wonderful!

Karen You are so sweet to get your wife’s ice cream! Those are the things that show just how much we love our spouses! When DH goes to pick up something I want, I feel special <3

Melanie Welcome back! How neat that you are teaching yourself the banjolele!!

Off to Pennsylvania!! <3 and hugs to All. Luci in WNC
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Karen - The school term normally ends in England around the 24th July. Usually go back around 2nd Sept. It's about 6 weeks holiday. The grandkids are at school for most of the week because of DDIL being a key worker- clinical psychologist. Other than that a couple of critical years are at school some of the time, but most pupils are still at home because schools have not been able to reopen fully with social distancing etc. School terms are different in Scotland.
    Bea has fewer days than the older ones.

Last evening a lot of teenagers gathered on Hove Lawns and were causing a disturbance. Police were called and there was a mild fracas. No arrests. There is a police presence there today, so I hope there won't be a repeat. Broken glass, gas bottles etc. I'm glad I don't live by the seafront. We will be down near there this afternoon at 4pm, but wont be stopping long. Probably about an hour to say hello. Glad the weather is changing tonight/tomorrow. I love Hove, but there are always a few days a year when you keep away from the beach. I do want to see my grandchildren.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Oh, look at this on my Facebook memories, 4 years ago, when I went up to the Arctic to see Penny. :D

r160vzbesfvc.jpg

What a wonderful cruise that was. And how lovely to meet Penny IRL. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    The Navy never told Daughter if she’s positive or not but she’s still in lockdown not allowed to leave her room.So far no symptoms (could be negative or positive Asymptomatic or will show symptoms later unknown). No clue how her crew is doing or the one we know is positive or his roommates.

My cousin son no news (his friend who he hangs with daily are roommates off y on is positive) he still in lock down too.

If neither show symptoms in 2 weeks (July 4th) then they can go back to work . If symptoms Bam 💥 will continue lockdown procedures. Or like Navy Daughter calls it Going to continue Essential Crew.

Discovered after all these cherry fruit bowls that I own a cherry pitter been doing it the hard way. It doubles as a garlic press I think on the other part of it.

Amber Tx

Stressed no hubby leaves a fussy toddler . He’s on a business trip. Had a hour melt down for I want my Daddy this morning. I’m exhausted the day hasn’t begun wouldn’t you know Aunt Flo has hit too today. So cramps to boot 🥾.