WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Back home from about 3 hours in the Emergency Dept with my husband. He had a bad allergic reaction to the dressing over the area of his surgery. It started not too bad, and just got worse. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be infection which is what I was concerned about.

M in Oz

That's awful. Is he allergic to latex, perhaps? I hope he is on the mend!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    Here are my mommy and me winter headbands. I’m not happy with the mommy one.
    cnok36evzw9u.jpeg

Going to make another mommy size in all black for a hunting friend. Started that one yesterday. Also ordered another cushion for my camper reupholstering project. Got my supplies in for my socks project and want to try a new mask pattern as it looks like we will be in masks for another year yet.

RV Rita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Aaand Navy called and needs son to come in, inspect something and sign off on it. He looks like death warmed over, but they will see what a good sailor he is maybe. Husband took him, since I do not drive anymore.
    💖Rebecca
  • sh0tzz99

>>>

TIna Glad to hear your sister is better. Do you know why your iron is high?

>>>

Karen in Virginia

No, I don't. Since I try to cook low iron for the mister, I was taking iron supplements, but I stopped about a month ago. It could be still due to that. I hope so, anyway. We are going to eat more vegetarian, which we are trying to do anyway. I just need to learn how and get some tasty recipes.
  • sh0tzz99
    Machka9 wrote: »

Some of our labels have the % of daily intake, but as the link mentions and you know, that isn't necessarily helpful. I think they often base those percentages on something like a 2000+ calorie per day diet which I only dream of! :grin:

Machka in Oz

Yes, ours daily values are indeed based on a 2000 calorie diet. That's a lot, except for those who are very fit and workout with weights daily or anyone training for something. Even my friend who participates in "bikini competitions" and is very well defined, doesn't eat that much when she's training.

Tina
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Rebecca- Hope he’s just tired. Isn’t he from the same California base as my Covid Daughter y her Covid crew ? She’s at the main base for the area. She’s feeling tired, fever ,sore throat,y headaches that come in waves 🌊..she starts to feel okay then 3hrs straight like she needs to go to the hospital then okay then hours of misery again. She gots the gun notice papers on her door 🚪 to warn others.

Amber Tx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Rebecca- Hope he’s just tired. Isn’t he from the same California base as my Covid Daughter y her Covid crew ? She’s at the main base for the area. She’s feeling tired, fever ,sore throat,y headaches that come in waves 🌊..she starts to feel okay then 3hrs straight like she needs to go to the hospital then okay then hours of misery again. She gots the gun notice papers on her door 🚪 to warn others.

Amber Tx

Mine is stationed here on the island, but went down for just a week working on a helicopter. I hope he's just tired too! I'm sorry your daughter isn't feeling well! Yep my youngest overseas had a notice on his door too! They delivered him food because he was forbidden to go to the galley! My momma button is on high alert today!
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lisa: I don’t remember whether I asked if your system tolerates stevia. We have two versions and both come in dropper bottles. One is stevia clear and the other is stevia raw. Neither has artificial ingredients and both contain no calories. They also have a paper “sugar packet” version that I’ve used when flying to see family in the past. DH likes stevia raw better and I like both. I buy ours at Fred Meyer in the health food section. Fred Meyer is a Kroger store, so if one is nearby you might be able to find it. One dropper bottle lasts a long time. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I don’t imagine many of us are going far until the Covid 19 Virus has a useful vaccine. :ohwell: Thinking of Canada, yesterday I spent a happy hour watching the Calgary Stampede bucking horse competition. I saw a bit of bull riding, too. :smiley:

Allie: Good luck with your decision about moving. Does the place you want to go have good employment opportunities? :huh:

Heather: HAPPY REFUND! :star:

(((RV Rita))): Stay safe. Live to travel freely & safely in the future. :flowerforyou:

(((Tina in CA))): I’m sorry you are hurt. I think you’re on the right track by stopping walking & hiking up hill. Sometimes rest is best, and it sounds as though this is one of those times. :heart:

Rebecca: My son is also active duty military, and he is back to work. We can send good thoughts for both of our military sons and to each other. :heart:

I’ve been to the local dollar store today, and also to the Amazon "store." I got garbage bags at one, and new bras at the other. I hope the bras turn out to fit. I think they will. If not, I’ll return them and try again.

I may chant this for the whole day—no new deer damage to my bean plants thanks to the netting I put over them. YAY!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,927 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Lisa You pay a really big price for indulging your inner child. If I did what you did, I might feel hungover the next day. What you go through is so extreme. Truly, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. (((Hugs)))

This made me smile - thank you for the hugs. :) Had I known how badly I was going to react, I probably wouldn't have indulged. OK, I think I wouldn't have indulged. Honestly, in those first five years after the surgery, it was my biggest struggle, and one that I failed on occasion, and paid the price. Then over the following ten years, I slowly built up my tolerance to sugar (and wasn't that stupid of me). But yesterday, I threw nearly 55 grams of sugar in less than a half hour at a system that had absorbed very little, if any, sugar on a daily basis for the last 15 weeks or so, except for the occasional piece of fruit. No white sugar at all. It took me by surprise... while not being surprising at all.

I've said more than once that the gastric bypass was a deal with the devil, and those all hold hidden consequences. I remembered that again yesterday. Just irked that it takes so much to remind me not to do something which I shouldn't be doing anyway and for other very good reasons.

Thank you for the sentiment, though.

Love,
    Lisa

Sorry you had to go through that!! My body doesn't like it if I have any sweets in the morning and tells me about it but nothing like that- just really sick to my stomach for about half hour(does not seem to bother me much later in the day, just can't have them on an empty stomach as long as I don't over do it)-
    I have more of a problem with cold/cool food-not in it makes me feel sick but asthma attack instantly when eating any cold stuff, even a yogurt or something like that, not even frozen. IF I eat cold stuff I HAVE to have it with a hot cup of tea every time. Getting worse as I get older
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited July 2020
    Lisa - Is it this?

tv0j9wnyggpz.jpg

:D<3 We have quite a few of them around here. They do get big.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Allie ~ I've heard that Sanibel Island is a beautiful place and think you would love it there.

Amber and Rebecca ~ Hope your children are OK and the virus is not invading them. Cases have risen in Georgia and the governor is constantly telling people to wear masks. When I went to Walmart this morning, most people were obeying this order.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    edited July 2020
    b3yirqtiv676.png

My walk with my friend and the dogs this morning.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Lisa - Is it this?

tv0j9wnyggpz.jpg

:D<3 We have quite a few of them around here. They do get big.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes! It appears they're of the same family, but not the same thing. :) Thank you, that was stumping me.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Lisa and Heather - I agree with Heather, it is a variety of Tree Mallow, they can usually be cut into a hedge too. There are a number of plants with a similar flower, but the leaves are the give away.

Kim
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    The native folks in the america's (maybe other places too) used the root of the mallow plants to make a marshmallow type food.

Smiles.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    😀😃😊

Someone mentioned allergic to adhesive bandages. When I went in for my lumpectomy I mentioned that bandaids made me itchy. They all looked at me like "really"? So after surgery I was sent home with a huge mass of bandages on my right breast and side. Wouldn't you know it I started itching and got all red at the edges of the bandage. Had my hubs drive me back to the hospital and the nurse couldn't believe it. The search was on for some type of adhesive for the duration I would need bandages. Which was several weeks! It took till 6 weeks post all bandaging to look normal again. It's on my medical chart now as a known allergy!

I used my surgery journey and this COVID time to let my hair go natural. I've been coloring my hair for ages. So I took advantage of this time to not color and go short (shorter than my normal short). I love my new salt and pepper look!

KetoneKaren Ros and I talk all the time about moving back to Virginia! We love it there! The hubs isn't on board yet but I've got several years before he retires to convince him!

Cheri
    in TX where the heat index is 104
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie: The location sounds fabulous. How will you make your living? I hope all goes well for you. :smiley: