Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I got my hair cut the middle of February. It was a very short cut, not what I like but what I needed because I had my right arm in a cast. I am glad that I did it because I managed to keep the hair under control for the last 5 months.

The hair salon was open last month but I let it got and by the time that I was ready, it closed again. I don't know what they do, and how they do it or what kind of safety protocol the salon has in place. But I don't color my hair and I shampoo it at home anyways, and styling will not be required if the saloon doesn't offer it. I just needed it shorter and with better shape. My concern is that the stylists would do a hurry-up job to limit exposure.

I just read the California governor decided to open the hair salons but only and according with the decision of the local authorities, and if the infections and hospitalizations have not increased in the last week. I haven't hear anything about my county yet. I may turn into a very white hair Lady Godiva....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    My hair was overdue for a cut pre-lockdown (usually get an annual cut in sept, lockdown started in March) and I finally caved yesterday to get a cut. My hair was past my bra line, and it’s so thick and curly/wavy I couldn’t brush or comb it...it was a snarled mess I would just pull back in a bun.i met saying I’d wait this out... Maybe weekly I would spend the time and pain and half a bottle of conditioner to laboriously work out all the knots with my fingers in the shower. What finally broke me was something (I think) bit me on the scalp and it felt like half my head was on fire. I could not find the bite—trying to separate the hair at the scalp resulted in the ends being tangled and in the way and me not being able to see/feel the area to apply ointment. Two nights of intense itching and pain broke me. Darn you, horsefly.

So haircut experience: telephone screening for symptoms, temp check and hand sanitizer at the door, and I was the only one in the huge salon (plus stylist and one receptionist, at least 20’ away, there are two aisles of 4 chairs per side, so normally room for 16 cuts, plus the shampoo area and waiting area). Doors open. Everyone masked the whole time. No shampoo/style, just cut and out. I have no idea how they’re staying in business at all. I’m grateful I can now actually get through my hair. Found bite, can now enjoy sweet relief and, I hope, sleep.

I finally broke down and let my husband cut my hair. He surprised me and did a really decent job. In your situation, I think you made a reasonable decision -- once your hair is keeping you from being able to sleep, it's time to take action.

Agreed!

My OH trimmed my bangs once and is cutting his own hair. I've trimmed my bangs a few times.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244375897.html

'A concert is being held to learn how COVID-19 spreads at large events. Here’s how'

This may be interesting.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    ^^^Such good info, R.M. and M.A.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Short story: rural SW Iowa county has people who test positive and then refuse to quarantine. They were talking about if they should do something like issue a citation. At this point they decided that no, they are not going to do anything when a person who tests positive refuses to self-quarantine.

There are huge fines for that in Canada, under the Quarantine Act, which was put into effect some time in March or April.

A woman I know returned from travel outside the country (mandatory 14 day self-isolation) and was warned of fines up to $1 million if she didn't comply. That's not even someone who's tested positive. You're probably subject to detention if you're actually positive and not quarantining.

It sounds like the law in Iowa allows for those people to be fined (I'm sure it isn't anywhere close to $1 million), but they are just deciding not to do anything anyway.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Am I hearing right, Masks are being supported from the top. Best wishes to everyone.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Short story: rural SW Iowa county has people who test positive and then refuse to quarantine. They were talking about if they should do something like issue a citation. At this point they decided that no, they are not going to do anything when a person who tests positive refuses to self-quarantine.

There are huge fines for that in Canada, under the Quarantine Act, which was put into effect some time in March or April.

A woman I know returned from travel outside the country (mandatory 14 day self-isolation) and was warned of fines up to $1 million if she didn't comply. That's not even someone who's tested positive. You're probably subject to detention if you're actually positive and not quarantining.

It sounds like the law in Iowa allows for those people to be fined (I'm sure it isn't anywhere close to $1 million), but they are just deciding not to do anything anyway.

I have heard of people being fined in other provinces for violating the 14 day self-isolation upon entering the country, although I don't think it was anywhere near the maximum amount. At least it's being enforced to some extent.