Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I am not prepared, now, for the new work guidelines.

As of today, we are required to do a Prework Health Check. Well, I woke up with a headache, so the system told me to stay home and I can't come back until I'm cleared by my health care provider. So I called Teladoc. Who are not authorized (nobody is) to clear me for Covid. Over a headache. No fever, no cough, no nothing, but a headache.

Of course, calling the Teladoc managed to trigger an anxiety attack. So that was lovely.

I'm not sure how to resolve this.

I'm locked out of performing the next Prework Health Check until I contact a manager. I have no idea who is actually a manager, vs a supervisor, and I definitely don't have any contact information. I texted my supervisor, but like he already told me, all he got was the same flyer they handed me at the door.

I guess I just walk in with the Teladoc diagnosis of "headache" printed out as proof that I sought care, and hope for the best. Super system we got here, keeping everyone safe. I half hope they fire me. Maybe I should try harder.

This kind of system encourages people to lie. It's like at my husband's work. The first day they implemented screening like this, he was asked, "have you come in contact with a covid positive person?" He answered, "I don't know. I don't think so. How would I know that?" The employee screening him sent him home and told him he was supposed to say "no" definitively. Sent the next guy home because of his allergies. Asked if he had a cough. The guy said he just had the usual allergy cough he had every morning of his life. Nothing new or any other symptoms. He got sent home. Half the staff was sent home that first day. Managers had to call everybody back in and "coach" them how to respond to the screening questions. Everybody basically learned to lie after that. The coworker with the frequent migraines straight up lies to the screener's face multiple times per week. If this becomes a habit, actual sick people might start lying. Maybe they need more than just strict yes/no questions as your ticket into work.

My workplace has a plant nurse that handles such things. We had a bunch of questions to answer for screening before going back to work. We are then supposed to self-report if the answer to any of those things changes. If you answered "yes" to any of them, she had to review further. I was honest when I filled it out - one of the questions was "Have you been seen by a medical professional for a new issue since 3-17-20?" (I think that was the date, I forget exactly, but that was the day I started WFH.) My answer was yes, and it was a non-Covid issue (I was seen for e. coli). No problems because she just looked at it and knew there wasn't a concern.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

ythannah wrote: »

Coughs do so much for our bodies, and there are so many reasons to cough. I hate that coughs have been stigmatized.

I've noticed at work that we all, myself included, explain our coughs now. Before we just coughed but now it's "something went down the wrong way", "just my allergies again", "tickle in my throat".

Yep, I was just at the supermarket a second ago and had a little cough due to allergies and the checkout girl looked at me weird.
  • mockchoc
    terrmadden wrote: »
    I say “it’s a COVID cough”

I tell them “yes I’m exposed to COVID daily, I work in a hospital laboratory”

And I rolled my eyes when the hospital front desk temperature was 95.2 one morning. I mean, that’s pretty much dead. But that’s what they wrote on my wrist band and sent me inside.

I was in hospital recently and the nurse took my temperature with two different methods, both totally different results. Not good really for a hospital.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    We are in a historic moment now with companion animals’

The German shepherd, Buddy, died on July 11, after battling the coronavirus and lymphoma. In an exclusive interview with National Geographic, his owners recount the two and a half months between their dog’s first wheeze and his death as one of confusion, frustration, and heartbreak. Their story, along with Buddy’s veterinary records, provides the most comprehensive look yet at an infected pet—and sheds light on how little we know about animals and the virus.

READ THE STORY

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/07/first-dog-to-test-positive-for-covid-in-us-dies/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=crm-email::src=ngp::cmp=editorial::add=SpecialEdition_COVIDPET_20200729&rid=C37D13CABD32DD13ACA5BE3C2359034B
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    terrmadden wrote: »
    I say “it’s a COVID cough”

I tell them “yes I’m exposed to COVID daily, I work in a hospital laboratory”

And I rolled my eyes when the hospital front desk temperature was 95.2 one morning. I mean, that’s pretty much dead. But that’s what they wrote on my wrist band and sent me inside.

I’m a hardened, heartless hospital worker who’s been in the biz 33 years. I need to quit or retire, but need to live somewhere and eat a little.

I don't think the contactless scanners are very accurate, but 95.2 is far from "pretty much dead." I've used different rectal thermometers (about as accurate as possible) with results in the 95's and 96's frequently.
  • mockchoc
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I am not prepared, now, for the new work guidelines.

As of today, we are required to do a Prework Health Check. Well, I woke up with a headache, so the system told me to stay home and I can't come back until I'm cleared by my health care provider. So I called Teladoc. Who are not authorized (nobody is) to clear me for Covid. Over a headache. No fever, no cough, no nothing, but a headache.

Of course, calling the Teladoc managed to trigger an anxiety attack. So that was lovely.

I'm not sure how to resolve this.

I'm locked out of performing the next Prework Health Check until I contact a manager. I have no idea who is actually a manager, vs a supervisor, and I definitely don't have any contact information. I texted my supervisor, but like he already told me, all he got was the same flyer they handed me at the door.

I guess I just walk in with the Teladoc diagnosis of "headache" printed out as proof that I sought care, and hope for the best. Super system we got here, keeping everyone safe. I half hope they fire me. Maybe I should try harder.

This kind of system encourages people to lie. It's like at my husband's work. The first day they implemented screening like this, he was asked, "have you come in contact with a covid positive person?" He answered, "I don't know. I don't think so. How would I know that?" The employee screening him sent him home and told him he was supposed to say "no" definitively. Sent the next guy home because of his allergies. Asked if he had a cough. The guy said he just had the usual allergy cough he had every morning of his life. Nothing new or any other symptoms. He got sent home. Half the staff was sent home that first day. Managers had to call everybody back in and "coach" them how to respond to the screening questions. Everybody basically learned to lie after that. The coworker with the frequent migraines straight up lies to the screener's face multiple times per week. If this becomes a habit, actual sick people might start lying. Maybe they need more than just strict yes/no questions as your ticket into work.

Right now, I'm waiting out the clock. I have followed the next steps, as outlined by the app. My manager is now required to reset the app so I can pre-screen for work. I am allowed/required to do this "no later than one hour before scheduled start time" which is 2:40am today. The app is not yet reset, and I don't expect them to reset it. I have already started looking for a new job. This is a stupid game that brings me no joy, and I don't know why I'm playing it.

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with this. I hope things turn out better than you are thinking right now. I guess they just don't know what they are doing. Hugs.