WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I am having computer problems this morning with fitnesspal. I can get in on my phone but not my laptop so far. This is DH’s ipad.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    So, how many calories is "standing in kitchen, prep food, washing pots, 4 hours"?? My feet feel like a shift on a full ward when I was 25 30 yrs ago...
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today os National Get Gnarly Day!

Chosen because the ridiculous name made me laugh! "The last Friday in July provides an opportunity to embrace new ideas and toss out old ways on National Get Gnarly Day. The word 'Gnarly' gets a bad rap. It can mean 'bad' or 'dangerous' but can also be exciting. Surfers often use the term to describe the waves they tackle. Much like surfers challenging the waves, Get Gnarly Day challenges us to put some gnarliness into everything we do."

margaretturk - Deepest condolences on the loss of your son. May you find comfort and peace.

Tami - I did Noom for awhile and came away with a couple of good new habits. I'm glad I did the introductory offer (I think it was six weeks). Overall, though, I already knew what I needed to do and just needed motivation to do it. Did not need a "coach" bugging me all the time about how I was doing.

Faye - Your filk of "Margaritaville" was delightful!

Katla - I agree with you and Peter Rabbit's mom! Chamomile tea always makes me feel better.

And now, I'm off to the water garden shop to see if they can help me with the algae in our small pond. Maybe I'll get some new plants since a trio of black vultures camped out on top of the pond and trampled the one water plant we had in there. Philip has a client coming this evening so I'll help him clean his studio and bathroom, then he's doing a "Halloween in July" set for our streaming radio station. Good thing I've got dinner in the slow cooker because it sounds like this afternoon and evening will be busy!

Happy Friday to you all. Do something gnarly today! (I think sticking my hands in that algae-filled pond will be gnarly enough for me...)

-Yvonne in TX
  • sarahkatzenelson452
    sarahkatzenelson452 Posts: 37 Member
    Love the grandchildren in sand pictures!
    Always have so much interest reading you all's posts
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Margaret - So sorry for your loss.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Still can’t get in with my computer. Time to contact Apple.
  • sh0tzz99
    Since you all helped me with my "craft" project last time, I thought I'd ask another question of you. I have a dress of 100% polyester. It's a nice dress for the very rare occasion I have a work event and it's a timeless cut, so never goes out of style. I'd like to keep it, but it has those fuzzy things on the backside right where I sit. I know there are "sweater shaver" devices for such things, but I don't want to buy one just for this one thing. Any idea how to get rid of those little "pills?" Photo:
    51e206rvq0he.jpg

We planned a short getaway to a lake for the middle of August. It's the furthest our friend with the boat is allowed to go. He works for the federal government and is limited to travel to 400 miles from his workplace. So, we're headed to a lake in the hot desert. We rented a private home and will keep to ourselves. It should be a nice quick trip away.

We planned another trip for the end of the August to a cabin in our mountains nearby. We stayed there in 2008 and at that time, we were off the grid. I think it's been updated since, but we had the best time sitting on the porch watching the wild turkeys and deer pass through and watch the deer eat the food out of the bird feeders. It's amazing how much time one can pass just watching wildlife.

I'm also hoping my injuries have healed enough that we can go on a couple of easy hikes.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    In addition to whipping out a tissue in the middle of a shop, I've also found that a sudden coughing fit works well to encourage people to socially distance! One of the "features" of my kind of surgery is that a sinus will suddenly let go and drop "goo" into my nose and throat causing my nose to run and me to cough. But it has been quite effective. One little coughing fit and no one comes near me!

Machka in Oz
    Step back
    Wash hands
    Wipe surfaces

Yes, I have the post-nasal drip issue with allergies. This was bad at the very early stages of coronavirus and when I went outside to walk around the neighborhood, I'd start coughing and I got some nasty looks. I knew what it was and it what it wasn't. But they were sure to stay on the other side of the street. I've since figured out how to stop that drip and it's a wonderful thing.

Tina in CA where it's stupidly hot early already
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    edited July 2020
    [

And now, I'm off to the water garden shop to see if they can help me with the algae in our small pond. Maybe I'll get some new plants since a trio of black vultures camped out on top of the pond and trampled the one water plant we had in there. Philip has a client coming this evening so I'll help him clean his studio and bathroom, then he's doing a "Halloween in July" set for our streaming radio station. Good thing I've got dinner in the slow cooker because it sounds like this afternoon and evening will be busy!

Happy Friday to you all. Do something gnarly today! (I think sticking my hands in that algae-filled pond will be gnarly enough for me...)

-Yvonne in TX[/quote]

Please post what you find out about the algae in your pond. My parents were just talking about that yesterday when we were up to visit them.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Since you all helped me with my "craft" project last time, I thought I'd ask another question of you. I have a dress of 100% polyester. It's a nice dress for the very rare occasion I have a work event and it's a timeless cut, so never goes out of style. I'd like to keep it, but it has those fuzzy things on the backside right where I sit. I know there are "sweater shaver" devices for such things, but I don't want to buy one just for this one thing. Any idea how to get rid of those little "pills?" Photo:
    51e206rvq0he.jpg[/sp
    Tina in CA where it's stupidly hot early already

I have heard that a razor will work well for that
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Margaret - I'm so sorry for your loss. Take good care of yourself while you mourn.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    To all you dog lovers: I paid $70 for three months of Frontline gold 5-22 lbs. Says it kills fleas ticks and flea eggs and larva. So is that way too much? It was from a local business. It's the liquid that goes between his shoulders. Seems like a lot. Is there a cheaper brand?

Thanks, Annie in Delaware with Teddyboo Fuzzybutt 15 lbs of hair
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    To all you dog lovers: I paid $70 for three months of Frontline gold 5-22 lbs. Says it kills fleas ticks and flea eggs and larva. So is that way too much? It was from a local business. It's the liquid that goes between his shoulders. Seems like a lot. Is there a cheaper brand?

Thanks, Annie in Delaware with Teddyboo Fuzzybutt 15 lbs of hair

Annie - check out Chewy.com - It's around $46 there. They have a $49 minimum for free shipping but I generally order 2 of the 3 month treatments at a time, or throw in a bag of dog food or something else for my pups and easily make the minimum.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Tina in CA - yes, a regular, new throwaway-type razor will work just fine to get rid of pills on that fabric. Lay one layer of fabric over a single surface, like an ironing board, and go with the fabric grain, left to right or right to left in the photo you posted. Work it gently, don't press down hard, and clean the razor frequently. Works far better than the sweater shavers.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • Katla49
    edited July 2020
    Amber: Good to see your post. JR’s head looks just right to me. All of our kids started life with big heads. That is why they’re so smart. :wink: JR looks like he’s going to be a smart boy, too. :star:

(((Allie))): I hope you get needed rest. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Two of our neighbors are doing the same as you with ordering. Here, they go to the store to pick up the order without ever going inside. We ordered once and were amazed at the quality of what was included. We were also a bit surprised by the cost. :ohwell:

Heather: You are so lucky to be near enough to your grandchildren to see them in person. I envy your proximity to them. :heart:

Kylia: I also worry about those who go for semistarvation to lose weight. I think it stresses the body and can cause health problems. I’ve also seen it turn into a yoyo situation. Your opinions are sound, but I don’t think your friend is likely to be open to advice. :noway:

Machka: Chamomile tea is recommended by Peter Rabbit’s mom. It is an excellent choice. Enjoy your evening. :star:

Deliafaye: I’m a Jimmy Buffet fan, too. :smiley:

This morning is another “Bright, bright, sunshiney day.” DH is still sleeping & the dog is asleep beside me as I write. I tried a Chocolate Mint experiment yesterday. I put a fresh chocolate mint leaf into my coffee. Not much to crow about. The dried chocolate mint leaf was/is more potent & I like it MUCH better in my coffee. I bet it will be fabulous in a cup of hot chocolate. I’ll test that theory next winter. I've spent the ast hour or so getting my login straightened out. NOT FUN. The good news is that I finally made it here via laptop.

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,435 Member
    4zq9hir0clm9.jpg
    67lhzpea71h4.jpg

💖Rebecca
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited July 2020
    110 pages of fun-filled talk and photos with no doubt more pages before midnight. HOWEVER, it occurred to me that it is already August 1 in Australia. Does our Australian members start the new August thread?
  • sh0tzz99
    Lisa & Debbie - Thank you! The razor worked like a charm!

Tina in CA where I think I'll disintegrate in the heat if I step outside