WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    We had an incredible 4 days away. I tried to put the pictures in a spoiler but it wouldn’t work. We camped in Edson and drive into Jasper yesterday. The weather was beautiful and hubby and I truly connected. The campground wasn’t crowded and even some of the tourist attractions in Jasper were not crowded we were able to stay away from others. There was a terrible accident on Saturday in the Columbia Icefields, one of the tour busses rolled killing 3 and seriously injuring 20+.
    ebtm5idre7ny.jpeg

iz6trosws89d.jpeg
    8naqgwzm7yrd.jpegqhdd1x1ldm7c.jpeg
    42bm8ndtgxd3.jpeg
    vu8y661uuavn.jpeg
    hrau8xq9u98a.jpeg
    b6fb9jsfelph.jpeg
    rhya2dsaye50.jpeg
    0yrs8b8fp8dx.jpeg
    xbcl4x8cu2zo.jpeg
    beemzmhlspx0.jpeg

Well I should get to bed, I return to work tomorrow much to my chagrin.

Tracey in Edmonton

Beautiful photos ... I miss that part of the world!!! I'm glad you had a nice time. :)

I heard about the Icefields accident. :( My husband and I did that tour in 2017, the last time we were in Canada.

M in Oz

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    SUZIEQ Do you use any product on your hair? I can never get mine to hold its body without hair spray. My old hairdresser gave me some mousse that was supposed to do miracles but it didn't work out well for me so now I just wash it and get it fluffed and laying the way I want and then spray it.

I use a number of products or none at all. My stylist does a lot of undercutting since my hair is so straight - it does keep it "up" when very short.

For the "up" do it depends if I want an extreme look or not. For extreme I dry my hair and then lightly apply mouse to my hands and pull through from roots to ends. One has to experiment with the right amount of mouse. For a softer look I use Revlon Rewind (it's a soft paste). I dry my hair, rub the product between my hands and distribute from root to ends pull up hair as I go. With my super straight hair I must use an extreme hairspray, if I want it to stay up. If I want a softer look I just use Revlon Rewind. I can run my hands through it throughout the day if I want more body. In order for me to continue with the up look I have to get frequent haircuts. I am "frugal" and typically get a cut every 10-12 weeks......if I were not so "cheap" in order to maintain the up look I would have to get a cut every 6 weeks. David is an excellent cutter so my hair looks good even at 12 weeks - some ask, why are you getting your hair cut......but at 12 weeks, my super straight hair, and humidity that is usually at 60-70% all year round I just have to deal with a smoother style. :smile:

I do find as it gets longer I can create an up do if I use the more extreme pastes such as Bed Head.

Oh, and when I am drying it I use my hand to pull up from root and dry with my hair pulled up.....hope this makes sense......
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    DrKatie - I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Big hug to you.

A couple of years ago I had gotten rid of pieces of sets I use every day. I honestly never looked back. My main set of dishes is white so I can mix and match with the pieces of the sets I kept.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Pip - So extremely happy for you! A virtual toast to new beginnings. I think this toast calls for a shaken, not stirred Cosmopolitan (it's way too early here for that, but if it was after 5pm......)!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Thank you all for the condolences and hugs. Banging my head against a wall in grief. In talking to another friend about Mary, she informed me that another mutual friend had died of COVID-19. This has not been a good day. So far I have managed to not eat my emotions. Now, RIP Helen!

Oh, DrKatie - So, so incredibly sorry for your losses.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Tracey - What beautiful country. And, it's interesting how a trip away from home can be refreshing for a couple. Especially being out in nature with just a map and a loose plan allows for us to decompress and just enjoy each other. Happy for you!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Although I was raised in a traditional home when the parents were in their "together" phases, I certainly have never believed in "woman's" work being only for women. I have always believed each part of the couple should be contributing.

That doesn't mean I do not spoil my men from time-to-time, but I should be spoiled too. And, as most of you know through my previous posts it's my belief we are only treated as well as we treat ourselves. :smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,268 Member
    Options
    Read the info on Dr John Epley. He died in 2019 some years after having a severe stroke. What a terrible shame to end that way. Lived in Portland, Oregon. In my opinion he should have recieved the Nobel Prize.

Also read up about the icefield accident, Tracey. Very, very sad.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Last post - I promise!!

Starting painting my bedroom yesterday. Oh, how I underestimated the amount of time it would take! I could have busted my butt yesterday, but after four hours of painting I decided to call it a day. I have one more wall needing a second coat and also have to trim out the room again (second coat). The door needs to be removed and painted too (I bought new hinges since they were painted over by the previous owners and then me when Charlie and I bought the place. The door will take some time since I have to wait for it to fully dry before flipping and painting the other side.

I did buy the really good paint (with primer). However, since it had been 26 years since I painted the upstairs (also used very good paint) the walls absorbed the first coat. I had quite a bit of adjusting to do since the primer paint is thicker than paint without the primer. I am using semi-gloss again since it is much easier to clean and does not require painting every few years.

I really do love the brightness of the yellow I selected. It brightens up the room.

I have two more rooms after this one, but am now through the learning curve and will work slowly prepping the guest room/office. It's smaller than my room (thank goodness). Will extend the painting project since it looks like we will be sheltering through the end of the year. The numbers continue to climb.

Oh, and I had a nice surprise yesterday. I looked at my bank balance and I said, hm, looks like there are a couple of good Pick 3s there. I messed with the numbers, play a total of $4 and won $80! I very seldom play so it was a nice surprise!

OK, now to log in to work, quickly check emails, and then finish up the bedroom!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,736 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well even with the mattress topper ,new sheets and fan I tossed and turned all night..
    Much more comfortably mind you but still..
    Alfie on the other hand was happier than s clam in sand lol..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    qqqq
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I start my final course. At this point, I would just like to be finished.

The weekly workshops are online, I can attend them from home. But the bulk of the course is working with a group, analysing, interviewing, investigating a business and creating reports.

I'm not at all enthusiastic. Oh well ... 79 days and 3 assignments to go.

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Just a quick drive-by to check in.

Tracey,
    it's so good to see you back - thanks for the pictures! You were missed.

On the subject of how we treat the men in our lives, I woke up this morning with the thought doing laps around my head that I am doing everything right now for my husband that my mother did for my father every morning - making his lunch, his coffee, getting him out the door with everything he needs.

My mother was doing it out of fear, to make life a little more pleasant if she stayed subservient to him. By doing so, she kept the shouting and the subsequent beatings to a minimum. When his truck entered the drive every evening, all of us kids were hiding, waiting for whether he was coming home in a good mood or in a rage. It was usually rage.

On the other hand, what I do for my husband is my choice, out of love and a driving need to make his life better, happier, healthier and longer.

Life has weird echoes.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

PS: I have womanfully resisted getting on that stupid scale for three whole days. Hadn't realized quite how whack-a-doodle I was on that subject until I took a drink of the water I keep on the night stand around 2 a.m. and thought, "Well, that's going to show on the scale in the morning." That's stepping over the crunchy little edges of sanity on the subject, you know? It really was time to change that dynamic. I didn't know how intense I was about it until I stepped away from it.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip I hate that your phone is broken. So annoying and as you said, not the way you had planned your last day of work. Just think of it as a mic drop maybe. It might take a little of the sting out of it.

Heather & Faye So relieved that Johnny has taken Faye's vertigo words to heart! Heather just tell him toilet sitting & getting up will be good for gluts and legs. :)

Faye I don't know much about the border between Oregon and Washington, but I looked on a map and it seems as if there is at least a 150 mile stretch on the Columbia River where the prehistoric sturgeon still swim…

Tracey So nice that you and your husband connected on your 4 day trip. Very beautiful place you live in.

Kay Thinking of you this morning. Many sympathetic ears here if needed.

We had a spectacular storm last night here in the Richmond, VA area. Thunder and lightning! 0.5" rain. The world is fresh and clean this morning!

Karen in Virginia

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) My back is feeling better. I rode my exercise bike for just under an hour last night but will wait until Saturday to go back to yard work. Taking things slow is challenging for me.

:) We went to Goodwill this week to take the stuff in the box marked "give away" along with all the things I took out of cupboards to make room to store the Foodi. Jake put everything in the back of the car so it wasn't til we got there that he realized that he'd forgotten to load the Pyrex bowls he wanted to get rid of. He has chosen some new Kitchen Aid plastic bowls in his shopping cart on Amazon but hasn't bought them yet.

:) Tracey, I loved the photos of your trip. We haven't been near there in decades. What a beautiful place to spend time.

:)Pip, Happy retirement. So sorry about your phone.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    TRACEY ~ What beautiful scenery! Loved the majestic mountains and the rushing waters.

FAYE ~ Had to look up sturgeon and was amazed at what large fish they are. Wouldn't want to meet one.

Carol in GA