Anyone Else “Vet” Friend Requests?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Of course. I don't accept random friend requests, lol.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Yes absolutely, I have a small-ish list and only want people who are actually active and mutually supportive.
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Nope if someone wants to add me they can I dont sit and "vet" them. If anyone is inactive for over a month i would unfriend though, I do like an active newsfeed so I can praise others and they do it to me, feels great and keeps me motivated!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    Nah. If they're interested in having me as a friend on here, it's usually because I can give them information on fitness and nutrition for free. And that's fine because I don't mind passing on knowledge. I DO have to go through my list a every month or so to clean out the non users though. Which reminds me..............................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    I am still trying to figure out how to send a friend request in this app
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    It is extremely unlikely that I will ever meet up with anyone on here. The only "friends" I need on here are people that will/may help me to stop being the porker that I am at present.
    If someone local sent me a friend request and soon after suggested a meet up or private chat then they would be declined and deleted immediately!
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Yes I do vet friend requests. There are some crazies out there!! 😄 I usually don't send friend requests one because on the app it isn't easy to do. I wish they would make it if you are in the forum and see someone you want to request for a friend there is an add friend button instead of trying to remember the name and search for it and then request for friendship. I don't do guy friends on here because I am married and the only male encouragement I need is from my honey. If I get friend requests and they are female I usually accept. I will only delete them if I see foul language (I don't like seeing that on my feed) or we don't interact much. I don't like to see a lot junk on my newsfeed so I have a small friend group of some amazing ladies that I met on here and we have been friends for quite awhile. Call me old fashioned I don't care. I am here for losing weight, getting healthy, and going on this journey with people who are like minded.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,610 Member
    Yes I do vet friend requests. There are some crazies out there!! 😄 I usually don't send friend requests one because on the app it isn't easy to do. I wish they would make it if you are in the forum and see someone you want to request for a friend there is an add friend button instead of trying to remember the name and search for it and then request for friendship. I don't do guy friends on here because I am married and the only male encouragement I need is from my honey. If I get friend requests and they are female I usually accept. I will only delete them if I see foul language (I don't like seeing that on my feed) or we don't interact much. I don't like to see a lot junk on my newsfeed so I have a small friend group of some amazing ladies that I met on here and we have been friends for quite awhile. Call me old fashioned I don't care. I am here for losing weight, getting healthy, and going on this journey with people who are like minded.

You can send a FR from the forum, it just takes a couple of steps (details depend on whether web or phone app).

In their post, click on their user name (at left of post in web version, above it in Android app so I assume likewise in iOS version). You'll get some kind of a display about them. If you don't see an "Add As Friend" button (web version) or the two-people-heads icon that is the same thing in the phone app, click on their name again, until you see one of those two (it'll just be a couple steps, not dozens). Then click on the "Add" button or the people-heads icon to send a friend request.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,819 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I reject all friend requests.

Will speak privately w/anyone who sends me a PM but I have no interest in "collecting" virtual friends here or anywhere else on the Net.

Unfortunately if you try to send someone a pm who is not a fr it does not go through. they never see it. Strangely if you can catch their attention on forums and ask them to send you one it will close the loop and subsequent pm will be received. Mfp glitches 🙄

I don't believe it is a glitch but rather a deliberate programming change to solve the problem of unsolicited messages. I think this solution was dumb for several reasons, one of which being that most people are not aware that you have to be friends with someone before receiving messages and thus are left wondering why no response.

I hardly look at my feed, but would sometimes like to message people from the forums, and there should be something to let me know the Send Message feature does not work unless the recipient is already a friend.

A better solution would have been to address the problem on the spammer end.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I reject all friend requests.

Will speak privately w/anyone who sends me a PM but I have no interest in "collecting" virtual friends here or anywhere else on the Net.

Unfortunately if you try to send someone a pm who is not a fr it does not go through. they never see it. Strangely if you can catch their attention on forums and ask them to send you one it will close the loop and subsequent pm will be received. Mfp glitches 🙄

I don't believe it is a glitch but rather a deliberate programming change to solve the problem of unsolicited messages. I think this solution was dumb for several reasons, one of which being that most people are not aware that you have to be friends with someone before receiving messages and thus are left wondering why no response.

I hardly look at my feed, but would sometimes like to message people from the forums, and there should be something to let me know the Send Message feature does not work unless the recipient is already a friend.

A better solution would have been to address the problem on the spammer end.

You could be right. I only realised when I sent a couple of pm to forum members whom I wanted to say good job or just a cheer up note when I thought someone needed it and I got nothing, no acknowledgement at all. I did end up friending someone and they said they'd never received a pm and then a few people mentioned it had changed and you could no longer contact non friends. 😔

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I usually open the profile and take a brief look before accepting. Some user's profiles are completely blank, and some are locked, so not sure why they're inviting me anyway.

In the earlier days I could see age, sex, and location, but that doesn't seem to be MFP's default setting now. I just felt that some potential connections weren't age-appropriate.

But the facts are that I don't post on my page very often, and I probably miss a lot of the posts my friends make as well. There's an email alert for every post, but I have those filtered to automatically go direct to a separate folder in my email account.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Nope if someone wants to add me they can I dont sit and "vet" them. If anyone is inactive for over a month i would unfriend though, I do like an active newsfeed so I can praise others and they do it to me, feels great and keeps me motivated!

Your post is a wakeup call to me. I don't usually delete, but I just looked and discovered a lot of my "friends" have gone inactive.

Of 406 friends, 1 hasn't logged in for 46 months, and that's part of a total of 151 who haven't logged in for more than 7 months, which means not in this year at all.

Some stopped logging on earlier this year, but there are 64 who logged in during the past 1 month and are not currently logged in. Just 119 are logged on now out of that 406, so I could easily delete 300.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Sure, in the sense that I don't accept them, although now you guys have me wondering if I should just so I have a chance at a good laugh. Then again, I changed my profile pic to one without my face, which makes it less clear what my anatomy might be.

Really, though, I'm another person who would be a terrible friend here. I have a hard enough time managing my trauma responses just to post in the forums, so the idea of a total stranger looking around my profile or diary just kind of wigs me out and would guarantee I stop using MFP to further my goals. It's a work in progress.

Sorry to anyone who I ignored! It really is a genuine case of "it's not you, it's me".