Anyone Else “Vet” Friend Requests?

Replies

• KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    I’ve had a few weird requests over the past few years on here. They tend to get deleted as soon as they get weird. I go through my friend list every couple of weeks and anyone whose been inactive for a month gets deleted (including the husband). Anyone who I’m looking to add as a friend I’ll vet first and see whether or not they’ve been active in the past few days. I have a small group of friends on here now and I like seeing how they’re doing and I’d notice if they dropped of the radar and went from maintaining a 1000 days streak to nothing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    I "vet" by posting in my profile that if you send me a friend request, you should explain why you think I would be a good friend for you to have. Most friend requests I receive have no message at all, so I just delete them, except for the extremely rare case where I recognize the name from a discussion thread. Every once in a while I delete anybody who hasn't been active for a few months. And I delete anybody who sends inappropriate PMs. Honestly, I don't get that many requests.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    reading comments because some words dont match actions ...hell the pics some upload leads to an assumption that contradicts "I'm not looking for attention or friends"

What sort of pictures leads you to assume anyone is looking for attention or friends even though they have stated they are not???

If I had to guess, based on my own experiences, I'd say pictures where anyone is "showing off" their hard earned physique... on a site surrounding health and fitness. Especially if they're a woman.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I check out their FL and if they've collected a certain type, I usually just delete it. If it's some one I have had interactions with in the forum, sure. I never delete friends. Obviously I haven't had any weirdness. If they go inactive, I'll be here when they get back.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited August 2020
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I reject all friend requests.

Will speak privately w/anyone who sends me a PM but I have no interest in "collecting" virtual friends here or anywhere else on the Net.

Unfortunately if you try to send someone a pm who is not a fr it does not go through. they never see it. Strangely if you can catch their attention on forums and ask them to send you one it will close the loop and subsequent pm will be received. Mfp glitches 🙄

This was a chg in programming that I wasn't aware because I have gotten PMs b4 but it has been a long time since I've recd one. Surprise, LOL! ;)

Well, ppl can still direct msg me in a thread in response to a post of mine (I almost always ck back on threads that I've posted in) and we can carry on a conversation there or move it to PM if reqd.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    edited August 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yes I do vet friend requests. There are some crazies out there!! 😄 I usually don't send friend requests one because on the app it isn't easy to do. I wish they would make it if you are in the forum and see someone you want to request for a friend there is an add friend button instead of trying to remember the name and search for it and then request for friendship. I don't do guy friends on here because I am married and the only male encouragement I need is from my honey. If I get friend requests and they are female I usually accept. I will only delete them if I see foul language (I don't like seeing that on my feed) or we don't interact much. I don't like to see a lot junk on my newsfeed so I have a small friend group of some amazing ladies that I met on here and we have been friends for quite awhile. Call me old fashioned I don't care. I am here for losing weight, getting healthy, and going on this journey with people who are like minded.

You can send a FR from the forum, it just takes a couple of steps (details depend on whether web or phone app).

In their post, click on their user name (at left of post in web version, above it in Android app so I assume likewise in iOS version). You'll get some kind of a display about them. If you don't see an "Add As Friend" button (web version) or the two-people-heads icon that is the same thing in the phone app, click on their name again, until you see one of those two (it'll just be a couple steps, not dozens). Then click on the "Add" button or the people-heads icon to send a friend request.

@AnnPT77 Thank you for your help on that!
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    gcminton wrote: »
    reading comments because some words dont match actions ...hell the pics some upload leads to an assumption that contradicts "I'm not looking for attention or friends"

What sort of pictures leads you to assume anyone is looking for attention or friends even though they have stated they are not???

If I had to guess, based on my own experiences, I'd say pictures where anyone is "showing off" their hard earned physique... on a site surrounding health and fitness. Especially if they're a woman.

I hope you are wrong and poster does not really think women with pictures of healthy fit physique on a site about health and fitness are wanting attention and friends, even though they say they are not.

What a sad sexist assumption that would be.

Well, I got a single "disagree" from that. I hope it was from that poster and that I was wrong.

Hard to say. It's kind of sad that it would be an extremely fair guess in some places, online or off.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Given that there's not much identifying info in my profile, I generally accept and then I just delete again if they are weird.

This is what I do too
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Given that there's not much identifying info in my profile, I generally accept and then I just delete again if they are weird.

This is what I do too

Yup I do this too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Honestly the only reason I am here is to hopefully give some solid advice that changes someone's life for the better and keep quiet when I'm not in position to answer.

I met some a couple of awesome people here that were even more awe-y in real lift but I'm not that social here to check into somebody's closet.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I add anyone who asks, with the exception of obvious salespeople. I’m a terrible friend though, I never pay attention to my feed.

Sometimes I really wonder what inspired someone to friend me if I have never heard of the person and we have nothing in common, but that kind of friend can be interesting.