WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Sarah It just occurred to me that your vertigo may be hormone related! Vertigo in women during menopause is not that uncommon and with hormones changing this can cause endolymph to surge and make life unpleasant. Vertigo and a hot flash can really put the quietus on an old girl's adventures. I remember one lady in our old vestibular group that had vertigo after childbirth that suddenly disappeared and then again appeared with a vengeance at the onset of menopause. Might be worth getting your hormones checked and balanced. Hormones may not directly cause vertigo, but they affect other functions that can. Don't let any doctor tell you that hormones have no relationship to vertigo in women during menopause. They do and it is an easy fix compared to other reasons.

What's the "easy fix"? I have had vertigo a couple days before every period since about 2010 and my hot flashes are a horrible mix of dizziness, nausea, prickly painful skin and then the heat. Every single one of them ... several times a day especially if I'm stressed. In fact stress can trigger a whole set of them in a row.

I know it's hormones. My doctors and gynaecologic oncologist know it's hormones ... but unfortunately there is no easy fix.

M in Oz

M in Oz Well it is an easy fix compared to other causes of inner ear problems, but as in your case balancing hormones can be difficult. There is no doubt other factors and finding these factors is difficult and expensive and then treating the other factors can present problems. In general vertigo from hormone imbalance can be treated at a higher rate of success than other disorders causing vertigo. BPPV is probably the easiest using the maneuver. For example, a viral cause damaging the inner ear is very hard to control and treat as opposed to hormone imbalance. I didn't mean to downplay hormone caused vertigo because many times it is just a trigger for an underlying cause like endolymphatic Hydops and treating Hydrops can become very involved. I hope I didn't offend you and I should have said: "sometimes an easy fix if no other underlying conditions." VEDA used to have a page written by a Nurse Practioner that was an expert on hormone triggered vertigo. I saw her many times and I think she had a falling out with an expert, a guy, that claimed that hormones had little to no effect on causing vertigo and wrote it all off as Meniere's Disease with little hope just lower sodium and take a valium. I know for a fact that menopause attacks did trigger my Endolymphatic Hydrops and eventually controlling the hydrops took care of the problem I still had the hot flashes and felt like I was burning alive, but no vertigo from it. Have you ever been tested for Endolymphatic Hydrops? Originally doctors said my hot flash vertigo was from MS, but once the MS diagnosis was overturned I was sent to Northwest Neuro-otologist and the rest is history.

Faye
    PNW

The "easy fix" would likely be HRT, but unfortunately I have a genetic predisposition to developing clots and have had a bad DVT so HRT would greatly increase my chances of dying. All my Drs have strongly advised not using HRT, not even the oestrogen creams.

I am on a serotonin-based anti-depressant which helps a bit ... otherwise I just have to ride it out.

M in Oz

Katla49 wrote: »
    M in Oz: I hope you feel better day by day. I’m happy that you have aa effective antidepressant to help you heal. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

It's not a matter of healing.

I'm on the serotonin-based anti-depressant to reduce the symptoms of my hot flashes ... that's one of the side effects of serotonin-based anti-depressants.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/effexor-vs-hrt-for-hot-flashes
    https://www.healthline.com/health/antidepressants-for-menopause#benefits

It does seem to help a bit but not entirely. Unfortunately they can't do anything more for me, so I just have to go through all these hot flashes (as described above) until whenever they decide to end.

So in addition, I do things like wear layers (layer on, layer off, layer on, layer off), drink copious quantities of cold water, cut back on hot drinks, have a fan at my work desk and home desk (fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off), exercise lots, spend time outside in fresh air, and try to stay as cool as I possibly can.

I miss curling up in something warm. It's winter, and I'd love to be able to wear a nice fleecy pullover, thick woolly socks, etc. but I can't. I've got to be cool in preparation for the next hot flash.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    but he says he feels a bit 'dazed' in the early mornings.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I don't drink alcohol, but I feel a bit 'dazed' until about 10:30 am each morning! :smiley:

I'm just that much of a night owl.

rtrh8wz4qcmr.png

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    avswuqergfkl.png

I'm wading into first assignment of very last course!!

I've been working on a Master's in IT degree since February 2015. There were 16 courses in total, and I took 2 courses each year for the first 3 years. In late 2017, I realised that this was going to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r !!

So I decided to speed things up a bit and took a late summer course in January 2018. Then I took one course each semester and a spring course. 4 courses in 2018 ... despite everything that happened to my husband. Perhaps it gave me something else to focus on.

In 2019, I took 3 courses. In the first semester of 2020 I took 2 courses ... and now I am at last in the final course.

We are not learning any new material in this final course ... we are using everything we've learned to work on a project which has been divided into 3 assignments.

So the first thing I need to do is to write a business strategy. :)

Machka in Oz
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    B)
    Viv UK who is catching up (again!)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,246 Member
    Options
    Allie:
    Please remember to take time out to recharge. You’re important to us. 💕💖💕
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    2cqmdu2t3wzq.jpg
    Faye feeling like a sturgeon in the turbulence this morning
    Sentencing myself to calm guitar practice for the next hour
    idnaz6efcoxf.jpg

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    This is good ...

What Are We Losing in Our Pursuit of Wellness?
    http://www.eatingwell.com/article/291936/what-are-we-losing-in-our-pursuit-of-wellness/

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    This is good ...

What Are We Losing in Our Pursuit of Wellness?
    http://www.eatingwell.com/article/291936/what-are-we-losing-in-our-pursuit-of-wellness/

M in Oz

That was really, really good... and the link in that article to here: Smashing the Wellness Industry if you can get there has some interesting things about intuitive eating. I tried it and just couldn't - my brain just couldn't wrap itself around eating that way without panicking. But that was then - and I hope to get there someday.
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    M in Oz You may have read this article before. PJ is one of a few that have really researched this subject. It may not apply to you at all, but I like to mention that when reference is made to Meniere's disease it is the same as full-blown Endolymphatic Hydrops. The only difference is in medical text a reference to Meniere just means the cause of hydrops is unknown whereas a reference to hydrops means a cause has been established. The action in the inner ear is the same. It is very common for women with hormone triggered vertigo to have hydrops. The diet PJ mentions here is the same for any vestibular disorder and low sodium means no lower than 1500 mg a day spread out over 6 meals or 250 mg per meal. I try to eat foods without ADDED sodium and then add sea salt. Please never give up looking for answers even though I understand that when it happens all you can do is ride it out. Every woman is different and balancing hormones can be difficult if one has other medical issues. In my case, once the hydrops was controlled and the fistula sealed (took 12 years), I was left with BPPV and hot flashes. It was a real treat not to have vertigo or any dizziness with the flashes. That is an EXCELLENT article you posted above. I say we sometimes live like hell trying to get to heaven. I have known a lot of healthy eaters that get cancer. Great point that THIN is NOT always healthy. A point I make is that fat around the waist is of concern, but fat on the hips and thighs is not. After cancer trying to gain weight it seems that it wants to go to the belly and not my bottom where it could find a comfortable home. On my belly, it is considered trespassing and it is war.
    https://vestibular.org/sites/default/files/page_files/Hormones and Vestibular Disorders_0.pdf
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    🌻🌻
    Debby in Va
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Blatter Chatter I felt like a Jill in the box jumping up many times last night in lieu of wetting the bed. The situation this morning has a hint of yeastiness, so with my sportswear remaining folded in the drawer and with an at knee-length cotton wrap skirt securely tied and cotton T-shirt on, shortened by knotting at the bottom front, teen style, I must head out for my walk on this windy day braless and pantyless enjoying a little air therapy. It is not about what blows your skirt up as guys say, but what blows up your skirt that is hygienic for us ladies.

Faye sashaying confidently
    on the outSKIRTS of decency
    near the river Columbia
    2q6zpr630uln.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I have been taking Vitamin D3 for many years because it elevates my mood and happiness levels. It was recommended by my doctor when menopause began. I was born in midsummer within a few miles of the 45th N parallel. I have read that many summer babies have a tendency toward depression in the darker months of winter. I noticed improvement in my moods in winter and credit D3 plus daylight temperature lights throughout my home AND exercise for that improvement. Yoga has helped. So have other forms of exercise. :star:

Faye: Your sturgeon prompted me to look them up. They’re near where we live on a year around basis. For a long while fishing for sturgeon was closed in our part of the river. Fishing has been regulated to prevent depopulation. This year the open fishery for sturgeon incudes the lower Willamette River. The Gilbert River is closed to sturgeon fishing. It appears that the fish and game folks are trying to conserve the species and still allow limited fishing. :star:

BaBbay 1956: Welcome to a great group—you sweet young thing. :smiley:

We’re planning to go grocery shopping in the next few minutes. We want to be the early birds, and the stores are set up for seniors first thing in the morning.

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon