WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Sharon - congratulations she is adorable!

Rebecca - that youngest son sure likes to make you wait doesn’t he? Hope you hear from him soon.

We are getting a thunderstorm, it was to be expected we have had a full week of beautiful weather.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lisa: I don’t care for racer back bras, either. I found some bras on Amazon that are just what I like-underwire, and lace with over the shoulder straps. I like to shop in stores, but none nearby were selling anything I was willing to buy. :ohwell: Three cheers for Amazon. :star:

So you're the one!

I've always wondered who on earth would wear underwire and lace! Underwire digs into me and constricts too much and lace is so itchy and scratchy!!

Tracey: I always wash clothes in cold water. I hang pants and tops to dry in the laundry room and use the dryer for undies, towels and such. DH puts everything of his in the dryer. I remember the wonderful smell of line dried clothes, but I haven’t had that option in years. Our previous home had a large contingency of birds who liked to use laundry for target practice, so we used the dryer there, too. :ohwell:

We have to hang dry our laundry, but for whatever reason, I don't like the smell of it when it comes in off the line outside. In fact, I'll often drape it over a drying rack in front of a heater for a little bit to get rid of that smell!

Machka: Happy Birthday to your DH. :star:

Thanks to you and everyone but his birthday isn't quite yet. I'm trying to plan ahead a little bit.

Garden tools - very much his domain. I have no idea what he's got and what he needs.

When it comes to "stuff", if we need/want something we just get it. But I'll go for a wander at lunch and see if something catches my eye.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    xc3qexbuwxh7.png
    Machka in Oz

MachkaLove this! Where did you find it!?

Barbara Sending prayers your family's way.

Cheri

Hope, a radio station in Australia, put it up on their Facebook site. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla- I love the rower, but his back has been niggling him for months. I row for two half hour sessions most days. No ill effects. :D

Love Heather , stuck in the UK. XXXXX

I also love my rowing machine. Concept2 has all sorts of competitions and things where people row for hours! I think the key to it is good posture.

I can do about half an hour and then I want to do something else.

M in Oz
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bdavis11758
    bdavis11758 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Today is good, stayed on track yet hungry. Body knows I'm depriving it of an over-abundance of calories. LOL
    Off for my walk. B)
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    How I feel about today ...

qkzbq9mpvml6.png

Last night snow fell down to 200 metres across Tasmania but missed the Hobart area. So I had to go to work.

Machka in Oz
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now) working toward a Masters in IT, doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies.

This is Rhody ... an all black, 10-month old "domestic" who joined us just 3 months ago. :)

nneinev2ot4y.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks.

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university has taken its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: This year I have maintained my weight but I'd really like to lose a bit.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Delia Faye: Thanks for the link. It was an interesting time and DB Cooper was a criminal with the desire to grandstand. :star:

Dr. Katie: You are wise to avoid bralessness except when sleeping. I feel the same way about it as you. If I’m awake and doing, I’m wearing my bra. :flowerforyou:

Pip: 'Bette' has an attractive new home. Will you live onboard or is this a storage facility? :huh:

Margaret: Love to you, too. :heart:

Rita: I will celebrate good friends from around the world right here in Women 50+. :star::heart:

Tracey: The Welcome sign is fabulous. Your DH has talent. :bigsmile:

Carol: I’m hoping all of our students will be safe and healthy. Sending many prayers for them and for the teachers who will help them learn. All times are challenging, but this is the most serious health issue that I know of since the polio epidemic in the 1950s. :star:

My bean harvest is a disappointment compared to previous years, so I decided to plant an additional packet of bean seeds today. Starting now, I may be picking them into late September or early October. I will see whether they germinate and grow. On the other hand, the blueberries are having an excellent year. Yay!!! We'll see how things go for the beans between now and fall.

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon

Storage spot for Bette
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BB&B, massage, return bras, library, chief wasn’t at firehall, asked Susan to post new meeting schedule on FB page and see if Chief was ready to go forward with bay door repairs and site lighting.
    Bonus: birthday card to Michele, swept cobwebs from front of firehall
    Get to do: clean something, Tumble to groomer, PA followup appt, line dance class, email SDAO re meeting change notice requirements, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Sunday board meeting reminder, board meeting prep,
    Altruistic August
    3: treat everyone you interact with as though they were a friend: my impulse is to stay home and interact only with Joe and the dogs ;)

Machka can your husband’s bike be set up indoors on a trainer? Is there a gizmo or app you can put on a tablet so it looks like you are riding through somewhere new to you? Do you have room to set this up so both can ride/see together?
    Heather and Michele thankful for your husbands' good test results.
    Welcome @krussell0123
    Kay Likewise only sleep braless and no underwires for me. Can’t believe it took me so long to find a comfortable, well fitting sports bra. The girls are happy.
    Julie so glad you’re getting some r&r time. How did you swap the more expensive one night for less expensive room free for 3 nights? I’m in awe of your negotiating skills.
    Faye the front zip sports bras never worked well for me, too much shelf effect, no separation/definition ;)
    Katla if you can plant beans today, maybe I will Wednesday ;)
    Sharon con VERY gratulations on sweet Freya Clair!
    Pip glad you made it safely home. Looking forward to pics of the new digs.

Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes. Will update as more information known.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=3311 vits=4 log=3 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=2 mfp=3 outside=1 up hill=1
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=1 rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=2 play= sew=
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka can your husband’s bike be set up indoors on a trainer? Is there a gizmo or app you can put on a tablet so it looks like you are riding through somewhere new to you? Do you have room to set this up so both can ride/see together?
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

Yes. We have both our bicycles set up in our home gym and connected to Zwift! We ride there together relatively frequently although we haven't in the last couple months. We've been recovering from surgery in the last month and before that we were able to cycle outside. However, now that winter is setting in again and I'm at work during the prime cycling hours, we'll probably start again. :)

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka - How is your sense of smell coming on? Are things tasting different?

I slept well and long last night. Even stayed in our bed ALL night, apart from wees. :D

I'm following my friend's journey in France with great interest. Today is her first full day in Bordeaux. Yesterday she thanked me for my support. <3 Going by train was around 11 hours door to door from York. In a mask.
    I am feeling very nostalgic for France and speaking French. :sad:

Sharon - Oh the darling! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Barbara so sorry to hear about your nephew <3

Heather I was talking to my friend Jean and we were saying how worrying it is for young people today with the job situation and how lucky we both are as so many people are being made redundant or having their hours cut. York is geared towards the tourist industry and so is suffering at the moment. Things are starting to open up again slowly, but some shops are still closed, and some will not reopen. :(

Viv UK <3
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Sarah I want to live in your she shed :D

Viv UK
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - How is your sense of smell coming on? Are things tasting different?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Prior to the surgery, I had a mild sense of smell and reasonable sense of taste.

Coffee, for example, is bitter. Chocolate is sweet/bitter. But I have trouble with the nuances which smell offers. For me, there's not much difference between the smell of dark chocolate and milk chocolate ... perhaps dark chocolate is a little more bitter/sweet and milk chocolate is a little more sweet/bitter.

As far as smell goes, my sense of smell has been really good when picking up "bad" things like mould, staleness, or when things are off, but less good when detecting other things unless they are quite strong.

Since the surgery, things are the same.

Except! I get these incredibly intense blasts of smell every now and then. I'll be going along in a nice neutral way and all of a sudden it's like being hit in the face and completely enveloped in smell! That will last for several minutes and then it goes away.

For three days now, someone at work has had curry. It smell so very good, but so very intense that I have to leave the office.

I've read that it can take 3 months before everything settles.

Machka in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    G'day, all. It's such a joy to get a fresh start every morning. This morning is fresher than most as the angels are weeping copious tears on the Emerald Isles. The temperature has plummeted overnight. I might have to break out the emergency socks

Sharon -
    Congratulations on the arrival of the lovely Freya Clair. Looking forward to watching her progress.

Lisa:
    😍Levi sighting! Such dancing eyes.

Dr Katie:
    It's obvious that most bras are being designed by/for men. I wear one for appearance as gravity has taken it's toll, but it's removed when I get home. I wear cotton lace non-wired. I have a couple sports bras that are marginally more comfortable.

I'm planning to continue work on cataloging my poetry today. I'm not looking forward to powering up the laptop. It's months since I had to use it, and it will take forever to get it up and running.

I have most of my work on an old hard drive, and eventually want to transfer it to our super duper home cloud storage device. However, today I'll be concentrating on my paper copies, and my original manuscripts to make sure they are all digitally stored. Have I mentioned I almost never use the laptop any more!!!!

Wish me luck!

☘️ Terri
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday!

Sharon Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Terri I will say positive thoughts for you and your project today. It will be nice to have all of your poetry in one or two locations though.

Bras I am padding with underwire. Once when I got fitted, I didnt know whether to hug the lady or get mad. Hug because she told me I was a "c" cup (always thought "A") or get mad as she told me I was side sagging! Lol! Definitely bra off at home! I always wanted bigger, but padded is cheaper! I will say that my padding has gotten thinner as I have matured 😉

Family doctor yesterday...bloodwork, refill, and cortisone shot in shoulder(OMG) I spent the evening with ice packs 20 on 20 off and tylenol. Son in law told me it will take about 24hours to feel better. Body mechanics. I am right handed but do most things left handed and it is left shoulder. I am upping my probiotics starting today due to cortisone. Today is GYN. Ugh.

Hugs to all because I am missing them in reality!
    Congratulations on all of the beautiful moments!
    Prayers for health, safety, and comfort!

Kylia in Ohio looking forward to vacation in the mountains!