August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Camaramandy648 I believe octo is veg that eats eggs and pescatarian is one that eats fish. I don't know if there's a word for both.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @Camaramandy648 I believe octo is veg that eats eggs and pescatarian is one that eats fish. I don't know if there's a word for both.

@Skippygirlsmom COLLEGE??!?!?!?!?!?! WHATTTTTTT

@RunsOnEspresso why can't I be both? I guess I can be whatever I want. I don't love labels. I just eat what is good for fuel and causes no pain or GI issues. So leaves. Beans. Nuts. Fish. Fruit.

If anyone ever asks, and I'm sure nobody will, I'll just say I am an eater of things. I eat.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    If anyone ever asks, and I'm sure nobody will, I'll just say I am an eater of things. I eat.

I would ask. How else would I know what to make for you when my wife invites you for supper? :tongue:
  • Camaramandy648

I would ask. How else would I know what to make for you when my wife invites you for supper? :tongue:

@PastorVincent hahahaha well. If somebody makes me dinner (they don't - I do all the cooking, haha), it would be impolite to start going down the list of things I don't or won't eat. I'd eat whatever is presented. I don't have to eat a ton of what doesn't suit me, but what I tell my kids is, "You have to at least take a 'thank-you,' bite, for the person who made the meal." :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

@RunsOnEspresso why can't I be both? I guess I can be whatever I want. I don't love labels. I just eat what is good for fuel and causes no pain or GI issues. So leaves. Beans. Nuts. Fish. Fruit.

flexitarian?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    @marisap2010 wishing and hoping you the best!
  • deraffemikey06
    deraffemikey06 Posts: 50 Member
    54rda2at1ei4.png

August miles so far
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @Camaramandy648 Love all the new running gear!

@mbaker566 Love the term flexitarian.
  • RunsOnEspresso

There probably is a label. I just don't know it. I don't think you need to label it. I only label myself gluten free because it's medically necessary. I eat everything but gluten (and things I find gross, like mushrooms).
  • PastorVincent

There probably is a label. I just don't know it. I don't think you need to label it. I only label myself gluten free because it's medically necessary. I eat everything but gluten (and things I find gross, like mushrooms).

This. I have to avoid a pile of random foods (i.e. wheat, onions, garlic, red cabbage, etc) - so I just pack a lunch where ever I go. :) But if anyone asks, I just say "Gluten Free" and that is often enough to shut down the questions as very few people know that actually means something way less restrictive than my actual diet. :)
  • Camaramandy648

This. I have to avoid a pile of random foods (i.e. wheat, onions, garlic, red cabbage, etc) - so I just pack a lunch where ever I go. :) But if anyone asks, I just say "Gluten Free" and that is often enough to shut down the questions as very few people know that actually means something way less restrictive than my actual diet. :)

Flexitarian is the best.

I actually think about this all the time!

When I got a couple of diagnosis - my sister would try to tell me to consider my diet and I would scoff and say, "heck no! I LOVE food!" I was never overweight, and my doctor even said I was "healthy." But there are some (if not most) diagnosis that do not match the term "healthy." I was busy but that is not an indication of health. I was worried about the restricted diet. And then I'd read about how restricted eating is very unhealthy because it creates an unhealthy relationship with food. And then I read about disordered eating and how that is related to restrictive eating.... I didn't like the sound of any of it. Just let me eat whatever I want and I'll take the pills and grow into ALL THE SIZES OF JEANS OKAY?!

But then I started counting macros, logging food, and I could see how much crap I was putting in and still expecting the machine to run like it's meant to. That doesn't work.

I don't feel like my diet is so restrictive. I still break sometimes. But I also feel amazing and see food as fuel more than I see it as pleasure. On a good day, I see it as both. I don't think this is disordered eating? Plus, the whole entire outlook changes when you start to notice changes in how you feel!
  • RunsOnEspresso

Most people don't even know what gluten is 🤣 and it's been found those that don't have a medical reason to give up gluten are not getting nutrients they need. Or something. I can't recall the exact study.

I once tried to give up red meat but I have naturally low iron levels, am susceptible to anemia, and at the time was undiagnosed celiac disease so I was sick a lot and.got worse without beef. So I am a meat eater no matter what (even taking iron supplements I need some from foods too ugh)

What I'm trying to say, is everyone needs to find what works best for their body and let others do the same.
  • PastorVincent
    What I'm trying to say, is everyone needs to find what works best for their body and let others do the same.

Totally.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    08/05: 3.5
    08/06: 3

exercise.png
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    @quilteryoyo I am so glad to hear you had a good day! Birthday calories don't count - correct! That's what you all told me on my birthday!

Yesterday, I got new trail shoes and my water bottle with a filter finally came (after a mixup with amazon misdelivering it and then replacing it - i love their customer service, but I don't love the founder/ owner) and the scrunchies that my ex husband's neice makes came! They're great! My hair never listens and I hate when I can feel it falling out of it's bun when I run but these seem to hold it in place. And they're not expensive. And they are handmade and by buying them I know where my money is going - so that's nice.

After work, we went to the park /trail. It was a good day.

I've added fish and eggs back into my diet for the health benefits - neither seem to be causing me issues. Okay, let's be honest - I never stopped eating eggs since going vegan. So I was never technically vegan. I don't know what I am now - only vegetables, fish, eggs. Rarely fish. Very rarely. Rarely eggs, but often enough that I need to buy them each week. This is probably not important.....

I'm very excited about the new shoes - I sized up so I can avoid more black toenails. I thought I had already sized up enough but apparently not. The fit is great - they feel snug and secure but with plenty of space. Here's an interesting thing - I think the drop must be very close to zero because when I put them on I felt like I was going to fall over. They are so different from my road runners! I hope they work well - I am SO excited to take them out on a test drive this weekend!

2tjwaevv8gu5.jpg
    4b5m73cg85t2.jpg
    6unld1x3jq92.jpg
    bh9abez4ldtb.jpg

Beautiful shoes
  • Camaramandy648
    @ABabilonia Thanks! I'm so excited to take them out tomorrow!

@PastorVincent @RunsOnEspresso - agree 100%. Celiac disease runs in my family (I actually don't know if it's genetic or hereditary or what) and so does a host of other ailments - I have my own diagnosis, but when I started having the same symptoms as my sister (who has the celiac diagnosis), I changed my intake. So far it's been effective. I just try to avoid anything that is deemed inflammatory at ALL. And milk. No freaking dairy.

So that leaves me with whole foods, fish, fruit..... I've learned to cook a lot of things that I wouldn't have ever made before :)

@katharmonic aw man. I so miss BBQ!