August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman
    "Don't know if they actually hurt or if I dreamed they were hurting. Strange..." I have done similar things in the past. Often my dreams are so vivid, I'm sure they've actually happened when I first wake up, then I realize it had to be a dream.

The weirdest dream for me was the time I woke up in the dream, three or four times. I was so confused when I finally reached the waking world! :D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Is it possible for you to visit a walk-in clinic and get a steroid shot and/ or oral steroids? The shot will offer relieve in as little as a few hours. Or lots of benadryl, oral and topical. There is a topical available here now, the active ingredient is diclofinac sodium. It's a topical NSAID which will help too. I think ibuprofen will help also.

Last March I unknowingly just sat right down in a spot where it had grown, it was between growing seasons and cut small stumps with my hand in the dirt and go it so bad. I think it was poison ivy on top of poison ivy. The back of my hand and arm looked like I had a serious flesh eating disease going on. It was insane. Good luck with it.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00
    8/6 off
    8/7 4.00

Total 14.00

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • mahmood_ak
    mahmood_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Morning run in Florida is just as sweaty as after work at 5. The upside: the sun isn't beating down!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Sorry about the poison ivy! I hope it clears up soon since you’ve been dealing with it all week.

@rheddmobile I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cicada emerging either. I used to be afraid of the shells when I was small because they looked like some alien bugs. Earlier this summer, my husband found a shell stuck to the brick on our house and freaked because he had never seen one before and had no idea what it was. 🤣

4 miles last night, and I am trying to talk myself into changing now so I can get in a run before it gets too warm today.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I think the weirdest thing I have done is dreamed that I was dreaming, so like a multilayered dream. I guess that is what you are talking about too. It is very disconcerting when you finally actually wake up, because you just aren't sure if you are actually awake or not. :smile: I still remember a dream I had as a child where I was sitting in my yard at night and saw two moons in the sky. It was so real, I'm not totally convinced that I wasn't in some alternate universe where we did have two moons. :lol:
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    8 HOT miles this morning 😰 Nothing else to say.

img
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Speed work this morning. Nothing remarkable. Plan called for 20 seconds with a cadence of 177-187. I walked most of the 45 seconds recovery. 3 miles total. (15 minutes warmup and 15 cool down were most of that lol)

12.6/80
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/20 :::: 1.3 :::: 1.3
    08/02/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 2.9
    08/03/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 6.0
    08/04/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 11.0
    08/05/20 :::: 4.1 :::: 15.1
    08/06/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 18.3
    08/07/20 :::: 2.5 :::: 20.8
    08/08/20 :::: 6.8 :::: 27.6

The temps were nice this morning, but the humidity definitely not. I was on a time crunch because I wanted to get to a class - our gym started holding outdoor workout classes today as they are still not able to open. My trainer was having a class at 9:15 so I wanted to support him and the gym. I ran a few loops of the lakes, hustled to class, and then had to leave that early to get to another appointment. So the whole morning felt rushed and incomplete. But better something than nothing I guess.

The outdoor workout class went pretty well I think. It was hot out there with the sun beating down. We brought our own mats and they brought out the dumbbells and kettlebells on a cart. We cleaned them off when we were done. They did have some tents set up that offer some shade and shelter in case of rain. The way they had them set up next to the building seemed a little too close and and stuffy so I'm hoping they'll potentially move them.

For right now they are charging $10 per class as our memberships are still on hold. At that rate I probably won't do too many, but I'm not sure when/how personal training is going to start. NY state and Cuomo are being pretty tough about gyms so it's not clear that they will open any time soon.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy
    8-7 7k easy
    8-8 7k slow

August Total: 42k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Sunny and low 60s today. Actually had the discipline to start slow and stay slow throughout the run.
    Since dreams seem popular, anybody have recurring dreams? I used to dream I was playing with a ball in a curved train tunnel, and I could hear a train coming. I dropped the ball and it rolled to the other side of the train tracks. As long as I stayed near the side of the tunnel, the train would never come around the bend in the tunnel. But as soon as I stepped onto the tracks to get the ball, the train would appear. I've had that dream multiple times.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
    I don’t have recurring dreams, but many of my dreams are set in the same city. It’s Memphis but not Memphis. For example, there is a large hill near the center of town with an ancient graveyard, and there is an amusement park near the outskirts of town. It’s consistent and I could draw a map of it. I also live in a house which is always the same, yet not my house. My bedroom has French doors which open onto a large brick patio in the back and there is bamboo around the edges of the back yard. Some things are the same - for example, the Clark tower, which is the tallest building in Memphis (that is not very tall, I think it’s less than 30 stories) is still where it is. The river is there, of course, but the riverfront is much more built up with ultramodern buildings.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Since dreams seem popular, anybody have recurring dreams? I used to dream I was playing with a ball in a curved train tunnel, and I could hear a train coming. I dropped the ball and it rolled to the other side of the train tracks. As long as I stayed near the side of the tunnel, the train would never come around the bend in the tunnel. But as soon as I stepped onto the tracks to get the ball, the train would appear. I've had that dream multiple times.

Ha, I know there is a meaning behind the fact that every time you get on track things start crashing down. But I don't know the specifics 🤔

I have had a recurring dream seems like hundreds of times. It's slightly different circumstances sometimes, but I always am in a school and I forget my schedule and don't know where to go. And sometimes when I am in middle school or high school I forget my locker combination.
    I'm sure it means I don't know my direction in life 😩
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Ha, I know there is a meaning behind the fact that every time you get on track things start crashing down. But I don't know the specifics 🤔

I have had a recurring dream seems like hundreds of times. It's slightly different circumstances sometimes, but I always am in a school and I forget my schedule and don't know where to go. And sometimes when I am in middle school or high school I forget my locker combination.
    I'm sure it means I don't know my direction in life 😩

I think mine means I'm afraid of locomotives.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @Tramboman I have two or three recurring dreams. One I am back in the Air Force and have to go somewhere, but can't find my hat. Another is that I am back in college and get lost trying to get to a class that I have missed so much of that I am not going to be able to graduate. And the other is that I am driving and the brakes on the car fail. I don't wreck, just can't stop...and usually I am going in reverse when it happens. Oh, I remember I did wreck once, but wasn't hurt and had knocked down a bunch of trees which cleared a path to a lake and everyone that lived there was very happy I did. LOL

@katharmonic I hate days when I feel rushed all day. Glad you got in the exercise though.

I had planned to run 6 miles this morning, but my friend wanted to play tennis, so I did that instead. I hope to get the run in in the morning. I came home and mowed the lawn. Very active non-running day.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman I have two or three recurring dreams. One I am back in the Air Force and have to go somewhere, but can't find my hat. Another is that I am back in college and get lost trying to get to a class that I have missed so much of that I am not going to be able to graduate. And the other is that I am driving and the brakes on the car fail. I don't wreck, just can't stop...and usually I am going in reverse when it happens. Oh, I remember I did wreck once, but wasn't hurt and had knocked down a bunch of trees which cleared a path to a lake and everyone that lived there was very happy I did. LOL

@katharmonic I hate days when I feel rushed all day. Glad you got in the exercise though.

I had planned to run 6 miles this morning, but my friend wanted to play tennis, so I did that instead. I hope to get the run in in the morning. I came home and mowed the lawn. Very active non-running day.

I have that college dream occasionally myself.
    Maybe it's a military thing.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 mile trail race
    8/2 - 4 with Skip and Champ
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 6
    8/5 – 5 with Champ
    8/6 - 5
    8/7 - 3 with Champ
    8/8 - 5 with Skip and Champ

33 of 115 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Speaking of dreams, we just saw Inception for the first time. Thoughts in the spoiler, cause spoiler :)
    Very interesting movie but I am not a fan of the ending. I have my own theory. I personally believe that Cobb never woke up from that dream with Mal, and Mal was right. So while he woke all the way up from the dreams we saw in the movie, he never made it back to reality.

I am aware of the plot hole of the wedding ring, and the father-in-law, AND the murder, AND the kids, and few others (like the useless top totem) but if I start with the assumption everything in the film was on purpose, then Cobb still dreaming is the only thing that fits.

If I assume poor writing dealing with things like murder charges being dropped in MINUTES, including clearing all they way through immigration, with a single phone call from a foreigner, then he woke up into reality and the movie is not as good as I want it to be. :)

So either Cobb is still dreaming, or the writing sucks cause there are to many things that only make sense in a dream - some of which Mal points out. I am going with he is still dreaming. :)