August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I broke my Wunjo. :disappointed: It is tots my fault but man it is too hot to run without it :cry: Mrs. Pastor Vincent it going to look into seeing if it can be sown.

Awwww. I hope she can fix it.

The zipper broke on my phone pocket. Luckily not anything that means I can't use it.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 - love that poop patrol is cross training. Gonna have to remember that!
    @InkedAtty57 - I see you there posting your miles!
    @kgirlhart - so happy your dad is doing better and that it wasn't a stroke. Having someone there makes all the difference!
    @PastorVincent - that's a lot of steps! Hope Mrs can fix your Wunjo

No run for me today, actually no nothing, so a real rest day. Life just got in the way with appointments and then the heat. We have heat advisories into next week and the wild fires have already started (none near me thankfully). Amazingly even with the heat we may get some rain tomorrow morning. So it will either be humid with rain or just miserably humid. Note our humidity levels are typically pretty low this time of year. In the fire areas it is in the 11-12% range.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Wow @PastorVincent Top 10 in the WORLD for steps 😵 I am humbled!

It is only like 500-something-K steps. The number one guy has 2.5 million steps in the last thirty days. Given the miles, I run and how far behind him I am, I ASSUME he works at a treadmill desk or something.

Oh my gosh I’ve done over 500k steps in a month a few times! Does this mean I’ve unknowingly been close to global step count glory?! - how exciting!!
    😉 🤣

2.5 million in a month is insane!! Even with a treadmill desk... 😓
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - sounds frustrating for your dad and stressful for the rest of you but I’m glad you have your sister to share the burden. I’m sure once he gets out he will become less stressed and more lucid and it will all feel less worrying. Hang in there.

A very sticky 6.3miles for me this morning. I kept it slow and steady again and it felt manageable. It rained but not the huge thunderstorm that was forecast so I got away with it! Went past 10k to round up my month total and now at 40m with more than half the month to go. Happy with that.

Have a good day all x

August total: 40m
    August goal: 75m

2/8: 2m interval training
    3/8: 5m
    4/8: rest (6 mile walk)
    5/8: 6.3m
    6/8: Strength training
    7/8: 6.2m
    8/8: rest
    9/8: 8 miles
    10/8: Strength training
    11/8: 6.2 miles
    12/8: rest
    13/8: 6.3 miles

July: 81m
    June: 78m
    May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @rheddmobile we have a similar algae in our yard. It is clear green though. Is there an agriculture office in your area? They might help. Or park rangers office even. I could find nothing colorless. Plants need chlorophyll, so not sure what’s up with that one. Maybe it’s “dead”.
    https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/nostoc_a_green_jelly_like_substance_growing_in_lawns

ETA I have a young male cat that likes to play with the stuff, fetches it like a prize. It’s kinda cool and safe to handle.

I looked it up and found the one we saw is not an algae - it’s Tremella fuciformis, common name white witches’ butter. It’s actually the fruiting body of a yeast which is parasitic on fungus that grows on dead wood, and it’s edible! In fact in China it is commercially grown to be eaten in soup. I had never seen the like, which isn’t surprising as it’s mainly tropical and sub-tropical, although it can extend into temperate areas in North America. So I guess it’s here because of the warm, wet weather. Learn something new every day!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I got out for 2.55 miles after storms yesterday evening. I really didn’t want to, but my best friend (in another state) and I are trying to encourage each other by going out around the same time and then chatting about how it went after. We both discussed how tired we were and then pushed each other to go do 2.5-3.

I am so sleepy this morning, and I have a full day ethics training online at work today. It is also supposed to rain, so with those factors combined, I am sure I will need to prop my eyelids open with something to stay awake in case my Warden comes by my office. 🥱
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad your knee is doing better and you didn't hurt it when you tripped. I've seen that jelly like thing before, but not sure what it is. Did a little research and it appears to be a jelly fungus which grows in assorted colors, including white.

@PastorVincent Sorry about your Wunjo. Hop it is fixable.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    Not the best start to my day. My computer did some sort of update during the night and lost about a month of my running stats on my excel worksheet. Fortunately, I also go old school and write it all down in a running journal, so I can recreate it. I got up early so that I could meet a friend for tennis. About the time I was going to get dressed, she texted and we decided to postpone until tomorrow because the courts are likely wet. In case you don't know, you can't play tennis on a wet court - it's slick and dangerous. It is way too humid outside to go run right now - 100% humidity with really thick fog. I just walked out the door to take the dog for her morning constitution and was immediately "sticky." But, on the bright side, I'm up early, I've already had breakfast, I have time to fix/update my spreadsheet, I can have more coffee, and I have my treadmill I can run on later if it doesn't get better outside soon.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    No idea that that is @rheddmobile - maybe the blob as a baby?

Only a western Pennsylvanian would come up with that!!!!!!!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @shanaber poop patrol=up down up down=squats. sounds like cross training to me. :wink:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Have you watched Ash vs the Evil Dead tv show? Bruce Campbell is in it. It's hilarious. I think it's 3 seasons.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,712 Member
    Options
    8/2 – 12 miles
    8/4 – 4.38
    8/5 – 11.02
    8/8 – 15.02
    8/9 – 4.01
    8/10 – 4.01
    8/12 – 6.59
    8/13 – 3.26

I did an upper body workout before heading out around 6:20 am. It was foggy and sticky and I just wasn’t feeling it but I stuck it out for a few miles.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Do you remember "The Blob" song?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 100 Miles

8/2: 10.52 miles
    8/4: 6.40 miles
    8/5: 6.52 miles
    8/6: 6.22 miles
    8/9: 11.02 miles
    8/11: 5.51 miles
    8/12: 6.05 miles
    8/13: 6.02 miles

58.27/100 miles completed for August

874.27/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I got in 6 miles this morning. It was really hot. I left the house at 5:57 this morning and it was 83°F feels like 85°F. I know that was the coolest part of the day and it is supposed to be 107° later today, but it just seemed so hot. I think the first mile I spent the whole time thinking about how hot it was and how much did I actually need to run. But at some point I did finally get into the run. But it was a slow run and I'm glad that tomorrow will be a rest day. I need to get to bed earlier tonight. I haven't gotten the sleep I needed this week. But hopefully that will get better. My dad was doing a lot better last night and I am still waiting for a report this morning. Thanks for the kind words @PastorVincent @rheddmobile @shanaber @Faebert and @Camaramandy648. I am really lucky. I have 4 sisters and we all help out. A lot does fall on my older sister, but she is retired and she lives in the Fort Worth area so she's more familiar with driving over there and she doesn't have to take off work. But we all try to help out as much as possible so that it doesn't just all fall on her shoulders.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Do you remember "The Blob" song?

No, and I am not sure I want to LOL