August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @kgirlhart Yeah for getting it done in that heat and glad your dad is doing better every day.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Do you remember "The Blob" song?

No, and I am not sure I want to LOL

You should check it out. It's hilarious.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @Camaramandy648 Have you watched Ash vs the Evil Dead tv show? Bruce Campbell is in it. It's hilarious. I think it's 3 seasons.

@RunsOnEspresso I haven't! But Nick and Sophie kept talking about it! Sophie was actually Ash for Halloween last year and it was one of THE BEST costumes I've ever seen! I mean, hands down, ahmazing!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00
    8/6 off
    8/7 4.00
    8/8 off
    8/9 2.50
    8/10 snorkel 2 hours
    8/11 3.75
    8/12 off
    8/13 3.00

Total 23.25

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    @mbaker566 - Hahaha! Love it!
    @kgirlhart - so happy your dad is doing better!

So we are getting clouds and humidity from a storm down off of Baja. There was even a chance of rain this morning. Nope no rain but it was definitely hot and humid. I don't know how y'all do it in the east and south or wherever there is so much humidity. We have heat warnings/advisories all the way to next weekend. Unusual for us, it also isn't cooling down much overnight. I keep thinking I will get my ISS 10K done soon but not sure when with this heat, even if I get up early.
    I signed up for yet another virtual race - this one a team relay running 680 miles from Atlanta to DC. I am really excited to participate in all of them but realized that 3 of them overlap. I think it is ok though, I hope so...

Date..........Miles........Total
    07/01.......0.00..........0.00
    08/01.......0.00..........0.00
    08/02.......7.62..........7.62
    08/03.......5.10........12.72 - +Agility Class
    08/04.......0.00........12.72 - + HIIT Class and Stretch and Roll
    08/05.......0.00........12.72
    08/06.......5.52........18.24
    08/07.......5.53........23.77
    08/08.......8.59........32.36
    08/09.......0.00........32.36
    08/10.......5.14........37.50 - +Agility Class
    08/11.......0.00........37.50 - + HIIT Class and Stretch and Roll
    08/12.......0.00........37.50
    08/13.......5.30........42.80

exercise.png

2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 1024.70/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/31/20 - ISS Virtual 10K (Late)
    08/15-09/30 - eRace Racism (100 miles)
    09/21-09/27 - Womxn Run the Vote - 680 mile virtual relay
    09/26/20 - Beat the Blerch 10K Virtual
    10/01/20 - 2020 Scooby Doo Family and Pet Run/Walk - Virtual Event
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    No run last night. The headache with which I woke up decided to stick around all day. I ended up on the sofa and then to an early bed.

My mental health 10K stuff shipped yesterday. I was hoping to run it Labor Day weekend, but I may be on call, so that may have to push back some. 😕
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Faebert wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Wow @PastorVincent Top 10 in the WORLD for steps 😵 I am humbled!

It is only like 500-something-K steps. The number one guy has 2.5 million steps in the last thirty days. Given the miles, I run and how far behind him I am, I ASSUME he works at a treadmill desk or something.

Oh my gosh I’ve done over 500k steps in a month a few times! Does this mean I’ve unknowingly been close to global step count glory?! - how exciting!!
    😉 🤣

2.5 million in a month is insane!! Even with a treadmill desk... 😓

I think the vast majority of the people in these kinds of challenges lead a more sedentary life (hence the need for the challenge). I suspect many people on this thread would dominate this step challange. :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @marisap2010 I hope you are feeling better today.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member

It is only like 500-something-K steps. The number one guy has 2.5 million steps in the last thirty days. Given the miles, I run and how far behind him I am, I ASSUME he works at a treadmill desk or something.

Oh my gosh I’ve done over 500k steps in a month a few times! Does this mean I’ve unknowingly been close to global step count glory?! - how exciting!!
    😉 🤣

I think the vast majority of the people in these kinds of challenges lead a more sedentary life (hence the need for the challenge). I suspect many people on this thread would dominate this step challange. :)

Just for giggles, I looked at my step count (which is something I don't pay attention to) and I've been averaging about 300,000 per month.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »

😉 🤣

Just for giggles, I looked at my step count (which is something I don't pay attention to) and I've been averaging about 300,000 per month.

I had to work late yesterday and left my watch off most of the day... so now I am in 11th place! Ack! :D
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    edited August 2020
    Rest day from running today. Yoga instead.

@quilteryoyo - good job on those hill repeats. I need to add those into my running routine. I've gotten into a habit of just going out lately. No speed work. No hill repeats. You've inspired me to do better!

@Faebert - how old are your daughters?

@Camaramandy648 - How do you like the Tailwind recovery? Sorry if I missed your review earlier.

Congrats on the new shoes @ABabilonia! I love my Brooks Ghosts. I try other shoes from time to time but always come back to them.

Glad your dad is doing better @kgirlhart!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Oh geeeeeeeeeeeze. Am I the only parent that remembers being a teen? My son's GF father was exposed to a coworker that is being tested for COVID. Well my son and his GF were going to get together today until this news broke. So her father is like "Well they can still get together and just wear masks the whole time and stay socially distant"

Right. Sure. They will do that even when no one is staring right at them. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

:D:D:D

Yah, unsupervised teenagers following rules?
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @Faebert my daughter said the only way she will run another 5k in her life is if I find a good zombie run (we have a few around here where people dressed as zombies chase you). She wanted to do Girls on the Run in first or second grade and it wasn't what she thought it was but I didn't let her quit. We did the bass pro 5K together that year and she was pissed and hated it but she finished! Now, I just have to find a zombie run....

@PastorVincent bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah. No. That's not how it's gonna go down with your son and his girlfriend. Sorry to hear, though. I remember being a teen, ABSOLUTELY, and some days I am so grateful for autism because if my daughter were anything like me when I was her age.... I have no idea how I'd get her through it. And I hope my son is nothing like me also.

@Teresa502 I haven't posted a review yet! Tailwind recovery. Well. The taste is fine. it's hard to mix with just water. it wants to stay on top of the water. But. It gets the job done and I have noticed significantly less soreness. But I was thinking - there's no way to say it's definitely because of the tailwind because I do so many other things in conjunction with that. It doesn't seem to be hurting - and if there's anything I can do to make my recovery process stronger, I'm in. That said, I guess if you see it and want to try it, it probably won't be a total waste of money.

@RunsOnEspresso I have really enjoyed the cycling CT during recovery periods from insane challenges!

@Tramboman your comment about the fear of the long run being more psychological - that really resonates with me this morning! Tomorrow is almost 33 miles for the aravaipa Vertigo challenge. Then 20 on Sunday. I was just telling a friend that I'm NOT going to think about it. Sort of like the "DON'T LOOK DOWN," idea right before you jump off a cliff.... Just don't look! Take the leap!

@marisap2010 Sorry about your migraine :(

@shanaber Those of us with ridiculous humidity........ I think we just get used to being one with our clothes after a long run. The sweat makes the clothing stick so much that I can't tell wear my shirt ends and skin begins. It's disgusting but it's also wonderful. Like anything else. We condition ourselves to it ...

Yesterday was so busy. Work all day. Then pick up my daughter. Then get food for my friend's family and drop it off. Then home to do some online school shopping with my son (woo hoo he is so excited about his new shoes!), then walk the dog, feed the dog, feed the children. THEN FINALLY out the door for the 20K bit of the challenge. I really didn't think I'd get it done! OH AND I NEED TO GET A HEADLAMP! I stay off the trails after dark because there are no street lights. I was already tired, but it seems as though when I start going through the motions to get ready, I'm able to get myself excited about it. It was a good run. I didn't PR or anything, but I can tell that the work in regard to nutrition, strength training, recovery, etc., is paying off. I have felt so much stronger and the runs have felt easier.

We'll see if I am still singing that song tomorrow. ;) I'm sure I'll have to force myself out of bed and convince myself that yes, this is really what I thought was a good idea. Yes, I want the finish. Yes, I really do want to go to Moab someday and run the 240... *sigh* All this thinking is making me tired. When are they gonna buy into my idea that we should have nap-time bunks under our desks?