August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new shoes @ABabilonia! I love my Brooks Ghosts. I try other shoes from time to time but always come back to them.

Thanks @Teresa502 I absolutely love the Ghost. I briefly tried the Adrenaline, but the Ghost work better for me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    msapplek wrote: »
    @shanaber - Thanks for responding! I've been looking up tips and have been incorporating fartleks and some pace intervals. But despite those efforts, I haven't seen improvement. Yesterday was rather demoralizing because I was 2min slower than my usual on the run I do the most frequently (3.76mile), and this was me thinking the whole time during that run that I felt like I was going a little faster for once!

It takes time and dedication. :) Also, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, it is summer and once the temperature passes 60 degrees F (15C) you pace suffers. It becomes harder to run at the same pace vs doing it at a cooler temperature. Dew point is another major factor. So much so that you really can not compare runs, even on the same route, unless the weather was identical.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @Scott6255 Hahaha. Hate it when that happens. Sounds like a good run, despite the heat.

@msapplek Try to not be discouraged. Keep doing the things you need to do and you will improve. Also, I forget where you live, but if it is hot and humid that can really affect your performance and perceived effort. - I see I'm not the only one with this advice. Great minds and all.....

@RunsOnEspresso Your doggie is adorable. Glad you got the trail run done, even if it was harder than you remember.

@katharmonic School preparation sounds interesting. You were smart to have fresh water at your half way point. Enjoy your hiking tomorrow. Will be looking forward to hearing about it and seeing pictures.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    msapplek wrote: »
    @shanaber - Thanks for responding! I've been looking up tips and have been incorporating fartleks and some pace intervals. But despite those efforts, I haven't seen improvement. Yesterday was rather demoralizing because I was 2min slower than my usual on the run I do the most frequently (3.76mile), and this was me thinking the whole time during that run that I felt like I was going a little faster for once!

It takes time and dedication. :) Also, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, it is summer and once the temperature passes 60 degrees F (15C) you pace suffers. It becomes harder to run at the same pace vs doing it at a cooler temperature. Dew point is another major factor. So much so that you really can not compare runs, even on the same route, unless the weather was identical.

Just put in the training at this point. You get a little stronger each run you do. The speed will come; be patient.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @msapplek Yes, like everyone is saying, you have to have patience as a runner. Speed and endurance take a long time (for most of us, although there are a few exceptions). Just try to keep running consistently, and when the cooler weather comes, you will surprise yourself 😁

@katharmonic @Teresa502 @ABabilonia add me to the Ghost fan club 😆 I have been in Ghosts for over 4 years now. I have tried a multitude of others from other companies and other Brooks, but always come back to the Ghost. I hope the 13's don't change too much too. Have had 3 pairs of the 12's, and will go to the 13's when I can't find anymore 12's.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Teresa502 Sounds like a brutal run. You should be proud for doing what you did.

@rheddmobile Glad the run went well and your knee is doing better! Happy Anniversary! Sorry it was disappointing. Maybe you can make up for it next year.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad the run went well and your knee is doing better! Happy Anniversary! Sorry it was disappointing. Maybe you can make up for it next year.

Agree! 27 is a big accomplishment! My wife and I just celebrated 24 back on the 4th. Normally we would have gone to a steak house or something. Instead, we stayed home and watched a movie. Ah well, next yere is coming!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I think I was the driver of the struggle bus this morning. Although there was good cloud cover, it was so humid out there - 98%! I kept hoping to get rained on but no such luck. I had 16 on my schedule but only made it to 15 and that last mile was pure torture! I ran with a couple of friends and we looped back to the car at mile 8 for a water refill and it was so hard getting back out there. But, it is done!

15 miles in 98% humidity is like beast mode! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    10k virtual trail race this morning. It's been months since I've been on the trail. Forgot how hard it is LOL I walked probably half of it. It was really windy and hot.

26.8/80

Doggo with my medal. She wanted to eat the medal 🙄
    hbf3li5qc3k2.jpg

Awwwwww cute puppy!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Happy Anniversary to you too @PastorVincent !
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary @rheddmobile and @PastorVincent. This year is definitely different. We'll be "celebrating" our 30th on Tuesday. For our 25th we went on a cruise. This year we aren't really doing anything. We did take some vacation days, but it is disappointing not to be able to do something special.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    8/1 - 5 mile trail race
    8/2 - 4 with Skip and Champ
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 6
    8/5 – 5 with Champ
    8/6 – 5
    8/7 – 3 with Champ
    8/8 – 5
    8/9 – 0 drove Skip to college move in
    8/10 – 3
    8/11 – drove home from college move in
    8/12 – 3 with Champ
    8/13 – 0
    8/14 – 5
    8/15 – 10K Scooby Doo Family and Pet Virtual Run with Champ

50 of 115 miles

@RunsOnEspresso great picture of your pup with the medal

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Happy Anniversary @rheddmobile and @PastorVincent. This year is definitely different. We'll be "celebrating" our 30th on Tuesday. For our 25th we went on a cruise. This year we aren't really doing anything. We did take some vacation days, but it is disappointing not to be able to do something special.

30!! Wow! Well done!! Congrats!