Name something that was easy for you to give up

Options

Replies

• joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Surprised that I don't miss ice cream, but I dont!
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Milk. Switched to almond milk for caloric reasons and don't think I'll ever go back.
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    amart4224 wrote: »
    Milk. Switched to almond milk for caloric reasons and don't think I'll ever go back.

I'm right there with ya, I switch to almond milk and haven't turned back yet
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Fast Food
    Alcohol
    Sweets

Now that I'm maintaining I've added some of that back in (mainly the alcohol part!) but I still don't eat sweets much (maybe twice a month if that?) and I'm not much of a fast food guy. Maybe we get a pizza once every 2 months?

It's not that those things are bad for you its just that you have to make choices with your calories and how to "spend" them. I could eat a Big Mac and fries but that would take up like half of my daily calories! So I don't. But I can get a single plain burger at Culver's and it's like 300 calories. Put some Ketchup on it for another 25 calories and voila!

Nothing is bad, everything in moderation. ;)
  • mholl15
    mholl15 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Let try to give this thread some new life, Name something that was easy for you to give up
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I drank Tab for years(remember that nasty soda??) then switched to Diet Coke. I got sick of spending so much money that didn't offer any benefits whatsoever and might even be detrimental the way I downed can after can. So after probably 40+ years of drinking diet sodas, I stopped. DH drinks it like I used to and some days it's very tempting to pop a top and guzzle. But no, I just can't let myself get back to that again. Not to mention it gets downright expensive. :/

For now(maybe the past few months) no bread or pasta or rice. It's not that I've 'given them up' per se, it's just because I don't really want to waste calories on them these days.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Fast food was easy. Other than that, I have just tried to limit things such as sweets, alcohol and salty, crunchy goodies.

The one thing I truly wish I could give up would be sitting on my butt, binge watching Netflix on non work days and get moving more. My exercise logs would look soooooo much better :D
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Fast food. After decades in an office that had no kitchen and few fast food choices, Zestos (a local chain) and Krystal had definitely palled. It has been a relief not to eat fast food every day.

Would that I had had the brains to simply pack a lunch and get ahead of the weight piling on, but no.......it was just what we “did”.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    All drinks with calories. (juice, pop, etc)
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Coca-cola. Before this. I would have told you I was addicted to coke. And I was right. We are talking 1 to 4 litres of coke a day. Everyday.

Thanks in part to the pandemic, I started dieting. And when I did. I just stopped drinking coke. It definitely helps that I was eating at home and not going into stores. Just ordering groceries online. But one day I went from drinking a 2L a day. To the next drinking nothing.

I haven't had a sip of Coke for over 9 months now.

Don't get me wrong. If I had some I'd be in trouble I think. But so long as I steer clear, I've been good. No cravings. No withdrawal symptoms LOL. I didn't even substitute it with anything.
  • AvaEBerry
    AvaEBerry Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have up soda pretty easily. Even more surprising was how easily I gave up sugar in my coffee. I hate coffee, but drink a small iced cold brew every morning just to wake up. Since I hate the taste, I would add sugar or simple syrup IN ADDITION TO flavored creamer. Turns out a tablespoon of the creamer makea it sweet enough. Who knew.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.

Soda (was never a fan).

Meat.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Rice I think. I used to eat it every alternate day with curry but now I have it once a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. I haven't really drank any since I was 28 years old. Have a beer MAYBE once a year. And it's usually because it's at a pizza party.
    And SMOKING. I quit cold turkey.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I gave up nothing. Just less.
  • joryrheanne
    joryrheanne Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me it was Coca Cola and alcohol. I still crave the pop but I just won’t drink it no matter what. I also went from drinking Tim Hortons double doubles to a regular and with time I will go down to black coffee. I just started metformin for diabetes 2 days ago. I remember how great it felt when I was losing weight and I am determined to get there again!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Easy? Yes. When I finally realized I did not want to feel like I did when I was heavy I really lost my taste for a lot of foods. This still happens. It may take one time or longer. I know intuitively if I am better not having it, measuring it with extra accuracy or learning that it is ok but to have on occasion. I am going through this now with a certain nut butter. I finally stopped bingeing on peanut butter- incredibly happy about that! However I am still skeptical of adding it. The fresh ground is definitely good. I have one now that I weigh and it amazes me how inaccurate using "tablespoon, teaspoon" as not of measure because the weight is across the board I teaspoon can be 5 grams or 9. it depends and I never thought it would be that much off. This one is natural but stickier and challenging to measure. With nut butter calories add up quick!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Spinach.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    It was so easy. To give up just about anything. My list is long like a CVS receipt. Here are a few .. Ice cream, alcohol, sugary drinks, cakes and candy bars.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I don’t look at as ‘giving up’ something but rather making different choices.
    Some easy different choices I made include:
    Swapping the proportion of yogurt and cereal in my breakfast. It used to be a big bowl of cereal with a little yogurt. Now it is a little cereal with a lot of yogurt. The result was fewer carbs and more protein.
    Drinking water as my drink of choice.
    Filling my plate half with vegetables.

Not so easy different choice — reducing or even eliminating my after dinner snack. I still often look for something at round 9pm.