Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Our local radio station just announced that everyone should get their flu shot early, now or by the end of September or early October to prevent a twindemic. @spiriteagle99 That's bravery on their part. Hope it all works out for them and us.

I don't usually get the flu shot but plan on doing it this year. The only concern I've got with them doing the flu shot early is that normally means they won't be as accurate on which strain is hitting us that year. But they do say it's better to get one even if it's the wrong strain and, I believe, that's likely even more important this year.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Agreed. At this point, we're just kinda throwing everything up against the wall and hoping something sticks. You're familiar with my stomping grounds that shall remain a secret...but the seniors always remind us of the Great Depression. What a long siege that must've been with so little food in the house. Lysol and toilet paper were the least of their worries. They keep things in perspective. When they were sick there was little anyone could do for them. Some of my relatives buried in the cemetery were born in 1835 and died in 1860 or 1876. There's many long before that time but living out here with brutal winters and so little to eat, I'm the lucky one.

Mother and I have been walking out there almost every evening. It's the one place we can get away from all of the pesky tourists. I've gotten to know everyone out there and where they are. o:)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Our local radio station just announced that everyone should get their flu shot early, now or by the end of September or early October to prevent a twindemic. @spiriteagle99 That's bravery on their part. Hope it all works out for them and us.

I don't usually get the flu shot but plan on doing it this year. The only concern I've got with them doing the flu shot early is that normally means they won't be as accurate on which strain is hitting us that year. But they do say it's better to get one even if it's the wrong strain and, I believe, that's likely even more important this year.

I am not an expert, but if I understand correctly they didn't choose the strain/vaccination contents early, they're just encouraging us to get it early this year. The timeline for evaluating the evidence and choosing the strains we should be vaccinated against happened in the same timeline has it has for previous years.

That's good to know. I usually don't get the flu shot. Not that I don't believe in it, but I'm normally too lazy to do it. This year I plan on it. Found this today. Looks like a nice summary to me.

For those that get freaked out by Formaldehyde, your body produces something very similar to it when you drink alcohol and has certain levels of it anyway. Quick tip, get some molybdenum and keep it around for nights you drink more than one drink. It's a simple mineral that metabolizes (breaks down) most of the dehydes (of which the thing that makes you feel like garbage when you have hangovers -- acetyldehyde) into harmless enzymes so your body can get rid of them. I'll take one the day of my shot. I also keep them around in the rare case I drink more than two drinks when I go out.

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/flu-shot-ingredients-flu-vaccine/

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We haven’t done flu shots for several years - a combination of bad reactions for both my husband and mom in the same year, two children with allergies (one that had a horrendous reaction to a routine vax... irked that even though her doctor said she could never have a booster they have it in her records that “mom refused” when it was due :angry: )... just hard trying to weigh the options after those rocky couple of years. I know we need to this year, but it makes me nervous. I am not anti-vax by any means, just gun shy from experience.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

I usually wait to get mine, too, but not because the shot is updated during the season (never heard of that - do pharma companies do that?) but because the protection lasts longer in younger people. I'm 55, so I wait until I need more protection (usually right before the holidays). Flu season is usually worse after the holidays than before the holidays in my area, so getting the shot early risks losing efficacy while the flu season is peaking.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I am not an expert, but if I understand correctly they didn't choose the strain/vaccination contents early, they're just encouraging us to get it early this year. The timeline for evaluating the evidence and choosing the strains we should be vaccinated against happened in the same timeline has it has for previous years.

For the Northern hemisphere, IMU, there's a February conference where flu strains are selected for the next season's vaccines. (September conference for Southern hemisphere.) CDC says it takes around 6 months to produce the vaccines, but some companies start growing strains in January based on expectations. However, it's normally encouraged not to get the vaccine super early (like July) because benefits decline after 4-6 months especially for older folks.

Sounds like they're trying to get more of us vaccinated in the optimal time range this year, vs. procrastinating until season starts.

Sources:
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/vaccinations/whats-the-best-time-of-year-for-a-flu-shot

Thank you - I just knew somebody would have the details on this!
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    We JUST got vaccinated this last week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I read recently that it's better to wait a bit to get the shot (i.e. late September or October for us in the northern hemisphere) because the immunity doesn't last that long, so if you get it early (August) it may not still be protective in February or March.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    This is the latest in flu vaccines. And I was also told by my doctor to wait until the end of September or early October to get it so the immunity last longer. The flu season usually picks up after the first of the year (2021 in this case)

1) High-dose flu vaccine: four more the antigen specificity that the standard flu vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/qa_fluzone.htm

2) Flu vaccine with adjuvant or FLUAD: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/adjuvant.htm. This last one is highly recommend for adults over 65 .

This from Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Why it's more important than ever to get a flu shot

The first shipments of this year’s flu vaccine are going out -- and it's more important than ever that you get a flu shot this flu season. Public health experts are concerned that this year’s flu season will coincide with an increase in Covid-19 infections -- and that could mean added stress to our hospital systems.

Getting a flu shot can help you either avoid the flu, or at least lessen the severity of your flu symptoms. Also, because symptoms of the flu such as fever, cough or fatigue can be mistaken for Covid-19, getting a flu shot can potentially help rule out influenza if you do start getting sick.

And if you need more reasons to get vaccinated this year, new research from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston finds that getting a flu shot can also reduce your risk of developing dementia. The researchers examined the records of more than 9,000 patients over the age of 60 and found that people who got vaccinated just once had a 17% reduction in Alzheimer's incidence. Those who were vaccinated more than once over the years saw an additional 13% reduction in incidence. And that protective association increased the earlier in your life you got your first flu shot.

A lot of work still needs to be done to understand the why, but some researchers believe that getting vaccinated can prevent viral infections that can have cascading effects on our immune systems and inflammatory pathways that can trigger Alzheimer’s-related decline.

Of course, talk to your doctor and find out what is best for you, but do get the flu vaccine this year please!

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    We usually wait until late Sept, early Oct. for our flu shots, but kept hearing to make sure to get them, so we got them yesterday. Hope it wasn’t too early.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

For the Northern hemisphere, IMU, there's a February conference where flu strains are selected for the next season's vaccines. (September conference for Southern hemisphere.) CDC says it takes around 6 months to produce the vaccines, but some companies start growing strains in January based on expectations. However, it's normally encouraged not to get the vaccine super early (like July) because benefits decline after 4-6 months especially for older folks.

Sounds like they're trying to get more of us vaccinated in the optimal time range this year, vs. procrastinating until season starts.

Sources:
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/vaccinations/whats-the-best-time-of-year-for-a-flu-shot

Thanks, useful information there.

I usually get the flu vaccine anywhere between mid September and mid October, depending on when my company health plan issues the vouchers for free flu vaccines and how soon after that I can find a relatively non-busy time at a pharmacy that accepts the vouchers.

They just issued the vouchers today, which to my memory is about two weeks earlier than they ever have. I'm thinking of going tomorrow.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Flu shot is usually mandatory to keep my job in the hospital. They require we get it by Oct 31 every year
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    We both got our flu shots onTuesday. Mostly because of schools opening, Labor Day gatherings, (and all the fall holidays) and to avoid rushes in getting it done. I usually don’t get one, my husband gets one yearly. He’s a cancer survivor and we’re both in our late 60’s. I’m concerned about educators, with schools, colleges and universities opening, all their exposure to colds and flu. Any respiratory illness could increase susceptibility to Covid 19. Cooler weather setting in, more inside activity. Very important to remain vigilant about hand washing, social distancing, and face coverings.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I want to get my flu vaccine... I just don't know how it will happen this year. Usually my job does free vaccines on site for a couple weeks. Well, a lot of us are still work from home (and some of us, like myself, will remain so). I'm not too keen on driving downtown just to get the vaccine. I do have a doctor's appointment next week so I may ask if they can just do it when I am there. If not, then I guess as soon as I see them available at the pharmacy?