Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm in AZ and just saw a projection yesterday (I think mainly because we're on a rapid upward trajectory and have so many older people) that we will have an increase in deaths of 5000%. I think we're at 500 deaths now and they are predicting well over 5000 more.

Yet masks aren't required and restaurants opened over the weekend. People were standing in line at haircutting places, nail salons and spas. Most all didn't have masks.

I'm at the point now where if people want to die, you can't help them. I feel sorry that they have minimized the risk, ignored the science and now can't wait to "be free". I just don't think what will happen to them is as fun as they anticipate.

We will continue to shelter in place for the most part, eat at home (and I'm fortunate enough to have a career where I don't step out of the house).

The only ones I feel sorry for is the first responders and family members of those that continue to put everyone at risk for their "civil liberties".

The thing that frustrates me about this is that *we all* have to live with these people who don't care if they live or die (or act as if they don't). I can be doing everything I can, but I still have to leave the house for groceries sometimes and when I do I'm encountering these people who are not taking any precautions. Nothing is going to protect me from that. That's what is frustrating. If these people could live in their own bubble, I wouldn't be as frustrated. They don't. We have to live alongside them.

That plus others not doing what they can affects many other people (I can avoid them, but many others cannot). And to the extent their behavior leads to constantly increasing case numbers, that's longer I have to be staying at home (I do go out for exercise and necessities, of course). So even though I have it pretty good (I can work at home, I live in a house with a back yard, I have access to everything I need), I strongly dislike living this way and if I let myself think about it my rage at some of the people doing the irresponsible partying (giant house parties in some neighborhoods here) and and other unnecessary large gatherings is real.

I think that's why my Nextdoor is now endless fights between people about whether one must wear a mask when outside (inside outside your own home is required) or whether it's perfectly possible to distance 6 ft if careful/people are overreacting -- people feel powerless and frustrated and so want to feel like they are doing something to make this end.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll - if it sounded like it, I didn't mean to minimize the impact that some will have on all of us. It's just, at this point, it's looking like the powers that be don't care or it's inconvenient to THEM.

I heard something yesterday that 30% of the population in the US, even if there's a vaccine, are so ignorant they won't take it. So I guess what I'm saying is Darwism is in full display right now in front of our very eyes. It will play out and the stupid are putting themselves (and the rest of us) at risk.

I didn't feel like you were minimizing it at all. It's just the unfortunate reality.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm in AZ and just saw a projection yesterday (I think mainly because we're on a rapid upward trajectory and have so many older people) that we will have an increase in deaths of 5000%. I think we're at 500 deaths now and they are predicting well over 5000 more.

Yet masks aren't required and restaurants opened over the weekend. People were standing in line at haircutting places, nail salons and spas. Most all didn't have masks.

I'm at the point now where if people want to die, you can't help them. I feel sorry that they have minimized the risk, ignored the science and now can't wait to "be free". I just don't think what will happen to them is as fun as they anticipate.

We will continue to shelter in place for the most part, eat at home (and I'm fortunate enough to have a career where I don't step out of the house).

The only ones I feel sorry for is the first responders and family members of those that continue to put everyone at risk for their "civil liberties".

The thing that frustrates me about this is that *we all* have to live with these people who don't care if they live or die (or act as if they don't). I can be doing everything I can, but I still have to leave the house for groceries sometimes and when I do I'm encountering these people who are not taking any precautions. Nothing is going to protect me from that. That's what is frustrating. If these people could live in their own bubble, I wouldn't be as frustrated. They don't. We have to live alongside them.

Huh, here in my state of Massachusetts you are not allowed in stores without some sort of face covering. Municipalities made this an order some time ago and now it is state-wide.

https://www.mass.gov/news/wear-a-mask-in-public

...Governor Baker has issued an Order effective Wednesday, May 6 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing is not possible. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces....

Minnesota isn't requiring masks. Anecdotally, I would say about 40%ish of the people I see when I go out are wearing them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Huh, here in my state of Massachusetts you are not allowed in stores without some sort of face covering. Municipalities made this an order some time ago and now it is state-wide.

...Governor Baker has issued an Order effective Wednesday, May 6 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing is not possible. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces....

Minnesota isn't requiring masks. Anecdotally, I would say about 40%ish of the people I see when I go out are wearing them.

We only require them if you can't social distance 6 ft, but they are required in stores (and many stores are very serious about it). So currently everyone I've seen in stores are wearing them, but fewer (although still a strong majority) outside. But this is just for around where I live; it's different elsewhere.

And I've heard of various store owners in states that do require them saying they won't require it also, so just issuing an order doesn't work without cooperation, of course.

(I think I can social distance well enough outside, but I feel social stigma if I don't wear a mask so I do. I get why people don't want to wear them when running or just walking around in a not so populated area. I don't get why some seem to be so opposed to wearing them in indoor spaces where there are lots of other people.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

But who is enforcing that? Store employees are not paid enough to act as security guards and confront angry customers who don't follow the rules. We have the same rule here in Illinois, but people can just walk right past the signs and no one's going to stop them.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It seems NM is playing more on peer pressure where masks are concerned. The only current mandate is that employees of open establishments must wear a mask, and that is of this past Monday.

I've seen a slow compulsory progression towards wearing masks when out shopping, etc since the end of March/early April. Initially, you were the weirdo if you were out wearing a mask or, eeww...you must be infected or have something else going on. I think those tides have turned to wear the non mask wearers are now getting the dirty looks. Even since Monday where employees have been mandated, I've seen an uptick in gen pop wearing masks.

Some stores are also now making it mandatory for customers to wear a mask if they want to enter and I'm sure there will be more that follow.

I too have seen that slow uptick in mask usage. Last few weeks it's been 100% at grocery stores and Lowes.

Our supermarkets are limited to 20% of capacity. There are store employees counting and letting people in. I'm sure they would stop anyone trying to enter without a mask.

My OH forgot to pull up his bandana when he went in to pick up food, the employee reminded him, and he complied.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options

Michigan's current executive order says this:
    Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, any individual able to medically tolerate a face covering must wear a covering over his or her nose and mouth—such as a homemade mask, scarf, bandana, or handkerchief—when in any enclosed public space.

The stores have the signs up. Compliance level, on my last trip (to Costco, a local health-food-ish grocery, Whole Foods)?

Among customers, not hugely much better than what you're reporting, counting the number of people who had the masks but on their chin or pushed all the way down while they were shopping. (I'd say worse at Costco than the other two, but not great anywhere. Of course, I have no idea who is not "able to medically tolerate", and I'm not naive enough to believe that all such conditions would be visually obvious to a stranger . . . but I'm pretty sure there aren't that many people in gen pop with breathing troubles (I didn't go at senior hours).

I'm pretty sure the stores were checking at the door, but I don't really expect every underpaid shelf-stocker to confront large numbers of shoppers while also trying to do their (essential, risky) jobs.

SMH.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

What state are you in? If Georgia, or your state's reopening guidelines are similar to GA, I can PM you something that I can't post here lest it be deemed too political.

My OH taught himself to trim his hair, and he did a great job on my ends and bangs. I'm about ready to find some youtube videos and let him learn how to cut layers. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in a ponytail all summer :lol:

I learned how to cut my hair on YouTube. Hubby cuts his own with a flowbie.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Flattening the curve is needed to keep the rate of new infections lower than the rate of recoveries. Less new infections give more time for medical personnel to devote care to those already sick and prevent deaths.

Yes, I assume almost everyone knows that by now and that was not the question. The rate of new infections can exceed the rate of recovery even after the initial stage, if people aren't taking adequate precautions. People don't seem to understand that.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

IL has this too. Not enforced and hard to. In many cases here the stores are limiting the number of people that can enter so keeping 6 ft is possible. I went in a Bass Pro Shop and guy walked in with 3 kids, none of the 4 had masks right past 2 employees standing at the door.