Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am sure that some of you are already aware of this information.' but Just in case you are not, here it goes..

[b]CDC releases warning about Covid-related pediatric syndrome
    [/b]
    From CNN's Maggie Fox

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory to thousands of doctors across the country Thursday, advising them to be on the lookout for a troubling new syndrome that may be associated with Covid-19 infection.

The syndrome, called multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), has been seen in children across Europe and in at least 18 states, plus Washington, DC.

“During March and April, cases of COVID-19 rapidly increased in New York City and New York State. In early May 2020, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene received reports of children with multisystem inflammatory syndrome,” the CDC health advisory said. “There is limited information currently available about risk factors, pathogenesis, clinical course, and treatment for MIS-C.

"CDC is requesting healthcare providers report suspected cases to public health authorities to better characterize this newly recognized condition in the pediatric population," the advisory said.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're thinking about other choirs/singing-breath outward bound/close proximity issues in other churches. :|

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cdc-says-washington-choir-session-53-cases-2-deaths-2020-5
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wow, just got an email from my church parent association suggesting no in person meetings until this time next year:

"As states around the country begin to loosen guidelines and take actions to reopen, even as COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to climb, we have received many questions from congregations about returning to in-person gatherings.

Over the past several weeks, the UUA has consulted with multiple public health officials in order to update the guidance we provided on March 12 recommending congregations stop gathering in person.

Based on advice from experts, we continue to recommend that congregations not gather in person. We also recommend that congregations begin planning for virtual operations for the next year (through May 2021).

[Rational included but it is long so I am using this tag:]
    Take a moment to breathe. I know this is significant.

While there is much public conversation about "reopening," the reality is public health officials consistently predict a long trajectory for this pandemic. A majority of our congregational members, leaders, and staff members are in high-risk categories. Our care for the well-being and safety of our members and staff must be a priority in this pandemic.

This pandemic teaches us that our actions directly impact the health and well-being of our neighbors.

Additionally, religious gatherings are considered highly contagious events. The acts of singing, the familiarity of people across households, the multigenerational community of children, youth, adults, and seniors-the things that make our congregations so special-also create more risk for spreading the virus.

Given that so much uncertainty and risk remain, anticipating a year of virtual operations allows for more creative long-term planning, while still being flexible if conditions change significantly. We recognize that with time, and depending on the specific conditions and recommendations of local public health officials, small in-person groups of people and limited staff activities onsite may become possible while wearing masks, observing social distancing guidelines, and following diligent cleaning practices.

In making our recommendations, we are guided by science and our deepest held values. This pandemic teaches us that our actions directly impact the health and well-being of our neighbors and so it is imperative that we make choices that keep our congregations and larger community safer. As COVID-19 disproportionately impacts people with disabilities, Black people, Indigenous communities, Latinx people, the elderly, and essential workers, a majority of whom are women and women of color, religious communities have a moral responsibility to do all we can to reduce risks for those already at such high risk.

Public health officials are clear. There will need to be multiple weeks of reduction in infections, adequate testing, sufficient personal protective equipment available, contact tracing programs, and perhaps a vaccine before it will be safe for many of our congregations to fully gather in person again.

All this said, our ministries are essential services. I am moved by congregations who are increasing their services and generosity to the larger community during this pandemic. I am inspired by those who are keeping their "virtual" doors open. Many congregations have committed to keeping their services widely accessible and available to new people and visitors, while also creating more opportunities for virtual small groups to tend to the social, spiritual, emotional, and material needs of their members.

We hope that a vaccine or an effective treatment will be found soon to change this timeline. In the meantime, being able to plan the longer horizon of virtual services offers an opportunity to be creative in planning for life-giving, essential ministry across physical distance.

Our detailed UUA Guidelines on Gathering In Person as COVID-19 Subsides include specific questions for congregations to ask to determine risk assessment and readiness plans before beginning any moves to gather in person. We will continue to update them as more information becomes available. As always, we encourage you to reach out to UUA regional staff if you need support in your planning.

I continue to hold you, your community, and all of our people in my heart and in my prayers. I know adjusting to this new reality is heartbreaking. I also believe congregations who continue to lean into their mission and life-saving ministry will find ways to thrive in this time. Ministry is so deeply needed. As is moral leadership rooted in community care and in science. May we keep offering this to our communities.

Yours in love and gratitude,

Susan

What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? There are worse things than dying.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Wow, just got an email from my church parent association suggesting no in person meetings until this time next year:

"As states around the country begin to loosen guidelines and take actions to reopen, even as COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to climb, we have received many questions from congregations about returning to in-person gatherings.

Over the past several weeks, the UUA has consulted with multiple public health officials in order to update the guidance we provided on March 12 recommending congregations stop gathering in person.

Based on advice from experts, we continue to recommend that congregations not gather in person. We also recommend that congregations begin planning for virtual operations for the next year (through May 2021).

[Rational included but it is long so I am using this tag:]
    Take a moment to breathe. I know this is significant.

While there is much public conversation about "reopening," the reality is public health officials consistently predict a long trajectory for this pandemic. A majority of our congregational members, leaders, and staff members are in high-risk categories. Our care for the well-being and safety of our members and staff must be a priority in this pandemic.

This pandemic teaches us that our actions directly impact the health and well-being of our neighbors.

Additionally, religious gatherings are considered highly contagious events. The acts of singing, the familiarity of people across households, the multigenerational community of children, youth, adults, and seniors-the things that make our congregations so special-also create more risk for spreading the virus.

Given that so much uncertainty and risk remain, anticipating a year of virtual operations allows for more creative long-term planning, while still being flexible if conditions change significantly. We recognize that with time, and depending on the specific conditions and recommendations of local public health officials, small in-person groups of people and limited staff activities onsite may become possible while wearing masks, observing social distancing guidelines, and following diligent cleaning practices.

In making our recommendations, we are guided by science and our deepest held values. This pandemic teaches us that our actions directly impact the health and well-being of our neighbors and so it is imperative that we make choices that keep our congregations and larger community safer. As COVID-19 disproportionately impacts people with disabilities, Black people, Indigenous communities, Latinx people, the elderly, and essential workers, a majority of whom are women and women of color, religious communities have a moral responsibility to do all we can to reduce risks for those already at such high risk.

Public health officials are clear. There will need to be multiple weeks of reduction in infections, adequate testing, sufficient personal protective equipment available, contact tracing programs, and perhaps a vaccine before it will be safe for many of our congregations to fully gather in person again.

All this said, our ministries are essential services. I am moved by congregations who are increasing their services and generosity to the larger community during this pandemic. I am inspired by those who are keeping their "virtual" doors open. Many congregations have committed to keeping their services widely accessible and available to new people and visitors, while also creating more opportunities for virtual small groups to tend to the social, spiritual, emotional, and material needs of their members.

We hope that a vaccine or an effective treatment will be found soon to change this timeline. In the meantime, being able to plan the longer horizon of virtual services offers an opportunity to be creative in planning for life-giving, essential ministry across physical distance.

Our detailed UUA Guidelines on Gathering In Person as COVID-19 Subsides include specific questions for congregations to ask to determine risk assessment and readiness plans before beginning any moves to gather in person. We will continue to update them as more information becomes available. As always, we encourage you to reach out to UUA regional staff if you need support in your planning.

I continue to hold you, your community, and all of our people in my heart and in my prayers. I know adjusting to this new reality is heartbreaking. I also believe congregations who continue to lean into their mission and life-saving ministry will find ways to thrive in this time. Ministry is so deeply needed. As is moral leadership rooted in community care and in science. May we keep offering this to our communities.

Yours in love and gratitude,

Susan

JB Pritzker, governor of IL suggested 12-18 months before religious gathering places fully reopen. Criteria for fully reopening is a vaccine or effective, widely available treatment.

To my understanding thensame rules apply to gatherings for any purpose.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Our church is tentatively opening doors on June 7, but with major changes (and the disclaimer that it may or may not happen, and can change at any moment from week to week... they will still have virtual service as well). Hand sanitizer stations throughout, a scrubber system in the duct work (pastor is an HVAC guy), pews blocked off and families together, spaced out from everyone else. Bulletins and offering plate will be “self service” not handed out/passed. Trying to remember some of the other things in place. Only certain restrooms open, and children under 10 much be accompanied. No Sunday school or nursery for the foreseeable future (a room will be open for parents to take their children, but they have to stay with them). They were also big on hugging, and took pride in that (they wanted to make Heritage Huggers tshirts LOL). No hugging or shaking of hands, they are coming up with a new no-contact gesture which sounds silly, but there are some that truly need something if they can’t hug you... the last week I was at church before things shut down it was almost comical the awkwardness because people just didn’t know what to do!
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Our Archdiocese has recently decided to slowly reopen (though with our county still not really open there's some issues) but have extended the dispensation from Communion through mid-August. They are telling those 65 and older or those with high risk to stay at home and will continue online services and zoom meetings...but a huge part of being Catholic is to be there for and receive Communion so this is interesting to say the least.

I'm not convinced that the Government can require that religious organizations stay shut down though (mine stopped holding services voluntarily around the same time as the shut downs began but before the official lockdown) so how that all goes in the future will be very interesting as everyone will need to find a balance without risking those who are high risk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant about going to the nursery because this time of year it is usually really crowded. I'm not sure why they are open, since i don't think it qualifies as a life essential business, but it may be that since Lowes nursery is open, and landscapers are allowed to work, it was deemed essential. In any case, with so many at home, I've seen a lot of gardens getting planted the past couple of weeks, so I took the chance. I was right. It was crowded, and only about 2/3 had masks. Many of the employees did not have masks. It's an Amish business, so they may have felt they didn't have to obey the Governor's order. Fortunately, with large trolleys to carry plants, it was mostly safe.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

Just curious. Why do people need barbershops? I cut my own hair for 5 years, and my wife continued for the next 32 years after that. She never stopped during the lockdown.

Perhaps because they don't have and don't want to develop that skill set or just don't want to do it? I mean do you change the oil in you vehicles, do your own taxes, lawn care, home repairs, etc.? I'm pretty sure there is some service you are paying for that others not specifically trained to perform that function are doing just like you are cutting your own hair.

I get your point but yes I do my own taxes and lawncare. Some home repairs, but i definitely don't attempt to do anything to the car.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    I'm in AZ and just saw a projection yesterday (I think mainly because we're on a rapid upward trajectory and have so many older people) that we will have an increase in deaths of 5000%. I think we're at 500 deaths now and they are predicting well over 5000 more.

Yet masks aren't required and restaurants opened over the weekend. People were standing in line at haircutting places, nail salons and spas. Most all didn't have masks.

I'm at the point now where if people want to die, you can't help them. I feel sorry that they have minimized the risk, ignored the science and now can't wait to "be free". I just don't think what will happen to them is as fun as they anticipate.

We will continue to shelter in place for the most part, eat at home (and I'm fortunate enough to have a career where I don't step out of the house).

The only ones I feel sorry for is the first responders and family members of those that continue to put everyone at risk for their "civil liberties".

The thing that frustrates me about this is that *we all* have to live with these people who don't care if they live or die (or act as if they don't). I can be doing everything I can, but I still have to leave the house for groceries sometimes and when I do I'm encountering these people who are not taking any precautions. Nothing is going to protect me from that. That's what is frustrating. If these people could live in their own bubble, I wouldn't be as frustrated. They don't. We have to live alongside them.

Huh, here in my state of Massachusetts you are not allowed in stores without some sort of face covering. Municipalities made this an order some time ago and now it is state-wide.

https://www.mass.gov/news/wear-a-mask-in-public

...Governor Baker has issued an Order effective Wednesday, May 6 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing is not possible. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces....

I attempted to visit a shopping mall on Wednesday and there were security officers at every entrance. Not to prevent criminal activity, but to enforce COVID19 measures. So I was sent back to my car for the mask I didn't want to wear, then my temperature was checked, next I was directed to the hand sanitizer station. Quickly proceeded to the shop which sold the item I needed and was back out of there.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Our church is tentatively opening doors on June 7, but with major changes (and the disclaimer that it may or may not happen, and can change at any moment from week to week... they will still have virtual service as well). Hand sanitizer stations throughout, a scrubber system in the duct work (pastor is an HVAC guy), pews blocked off and families together, spaced out from everyone else. Bulletins and offering plate will be “self service” not handed out/passed. Trying to remember some of the other things in place. Only certain restrooms open, and children under 10 much be accompanied. No Sunday school or nursery for the foreseeable future (a room will be open for parents to take their children, but they have to stay with them). They were also big on hugging, and took pride in that (they wanted to make Heritage Huggers tshirts LOL). No hugging or shaking of hands, they are coming up with a new no-contact gesture which sounds silly, but there are some that truly need something if they can’t hug you... the last week I was at church before things shut down it was almost comical the awkwardness because people just didn’t know what to do!

Our church is also opening tentatively June 7th. Details are yet to come. Also the 24th of May and 31st of May they will hold outdoor services (that you have to sign up ahead of time).

They are proposing 5-6 services instead of the usual 1 service. People would need to sign up for which service they want to attend online, to make sure the services are not crowded.

People need to wear masks (IIRC) but not children under 10 (or was that what the Governor said?) I forget. Anyway, no/limited children's activities or nursery.
  • TonyB0588
    Options

Our church is also opening tentatively June 7th. Details are yet to come. Also the 24th of May and 31st of May they will hold outdoor services (that you have to sign up ahead of time).

They are proposing 5-6 services instead of the usual 1 service. People would need to sign up for which service they want to attend online, to make sure the services are not crowded.

People need to wear masks (IIRC) but not children under 10 (or was that what the Governor said?) I forget. Anyway, no/limited children's activities or nursery.

We're going from 0 to 20 next week, so will still take a bit of working out. Might almost be better to stay on Zoom a bit longer. At least we can see hundreds of faces on the screen.