Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I was hesitant about going to the nursery because this time of year it is usually really crowded. I'm not sure why they are open, since i don't think it qualifies as a life essential business, but it may be that since Lowes nursery is open, and landscapers are allowed to work, it was deemed essential. In any case, with so many at home, I've seen a lot of gardens getting planted the past couple of weeks, so I took the chance. I was right. It was crowded, and only about 2/3 had masks. Many of the employees did not have masks. It's an Amish business, so they may have felt they didn't have to obey the Governor's order. Fortunately, with large trolleys to carry plants, it was mostly safe.

Garden centers here were allowed to open the last weekend in April, with restrictions. They were considered "essential" partly because of the amount of fruits/veggies people grow for food but I think the thinking also was that they contribute to positive mental health. The one I go to has 30 greenhouses of varying sizes. The smallest allow no more than 5 people (including employees) inside and the largest allowed up to 40 people.

The garden centers at places like Home Depot and Lowes never closed down because they are considered part of the store. They HAVE closed down the separate entrance so you go through the main entrance and exit so they can count customers. Business in the garden center has picked up so they do have a separate exit but it is exit only. Menards (a regional chain similar to the national ones) require masks and have security at the entrance. They also are not allowing anyone under 16 in, even with a parent, to reduce total number of people.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I went to the grocery store today, a shockingly small number of people were masked. In the past few weeks, it was like 80% of the people I saw, it's like 40% at best now. I don't want people to mess this up.

On the other hand, there are less than 5 active cases of CV in the county I shopped in, the likelihood that I'd run into one at the grocery store is slim.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I went to a store again here, a Petsmart (mainly because I wanted to look at kittens to adopt, but my sister needed to buy stuff too). Again, about 80% of the people on the street and 100% of those in the store were wearing masks, but the people in the store weren't social distancing well (although the numbers were low as required, so I didn't feel like it was a big risk, just annoyed since I had to actively avoid others).

I feel like people in my general neighborhood and my sister's (where we were) are complying well, but not sure that's making a difference city wide and given country wide I feel kind of hopeless -- people will likely decide soon that it does not matter.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So because asking nicely didn't work (whether it was nicely is debatable) it's ok now to be rude?

Not to mention in America at least I don't think that type of law CAN be passed...though businesses are allowed to require one to enter. But with how rude some people are, especially on social media these days people who might have complied are deciding its not worth it. In general people don't like to be told what to do and when insulted about it will dig in their heels.

If you want people to comply it will go better if you are nice.