Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Why do people assume flattening the curve is a one-time thing? It only makes sense that an unchecked spread can and will climb steeply. Failure to maintain social distancing, hand washing, and mask-wearing are a gift to the virus. I would expect it to be worse now b/c so many more people have it--not enough for any potential immunity, but more than enough to create a disaster for all those who get ill in the period of reopening done so carelessly.

Flattening the curve is needed to keep the rate of new infections lower than the rate of recoveries. Less new infections give more time for medical personnel to devote care to those already sick and prevent deaths.
  • TonyB0588
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

Just curious. Why do people need barbershops? I cut my own hair for 5 years, and my wife continued for the next 32 years after that. She never stopped during the lockdown.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    This news article has an interesting graphic to show Covid-19 daily deaths compared to other leading causes of death.

https://www.ketv.com/article/coronavirus-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-united-states/32380058?fbclid=IwAR0e55H7_PtwjICSDBgP8kIkVB0FmHF8AtAOTnxLNIi6DX761rHWe2KNJK4#

Very interesting!! So the numbers only sound high, while being very much in line with the other top leading causes of death. This will soon be so ordinary it won't even be news.

Hope you all heard the sarcasm in my voice.

Yes, but while it hovers day-to-day as one of the top few causes of death now, it may be successful in reaching #1 and staying #1 if people keep ignoring reasonable precautions like face coverings, social distancing, and frequent hand washing.

Yes. Just my point. We can reach the point where everybody becomes careless and complacent because they figure if you don't die from this, you're just as likely to die from something else anyway.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,150 Member
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/ This site gives most outcomes given many of the confounding variables i.e compliance with distancing, shelter orders, and mask wearing. See you all in 2021.

Ha! Interesting and enlightening. Apparently I didn't know at least a couple of factors that could affect R and how they might change things!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/ This site gives most outcomes given many of the confounding variables i.e compliance with distancing, shelter orders, and mask wearing. See you all in 2021.

This is long, but explains everything so well---THANK YOU!!! It really gives hope at a time it's needed. Anyone who is depressed about the situation now should take a look.