Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the town nearest to us (small town population 20,000 with 2 colleges. About 3000 students enrolled at this college) off campus party has resulted in an outbreak of Covid-19 among the party goers. Annual tuition $50,000/year. How are they going to get a grip on COVID-19 with this occurring at universities and colleges across the country? I’m in Minnesota, and the highest rates of new infections is in the 20-30 age group.

It is happening at colleges here in Indiana. One school just kicked out like 36 students for attending a party. The schools had all students sign documents about NOT doing stupid stuff like that. They broke it. They suffered the consequences. Another school is looking into a party there and those students will be kicked out as well when they are identified. The dean has already said that if it continues, they WILL be going all online which has made a lot of other students upset. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

So, is anyone stocking up any? With flu season coming up along with Covid, I am wondering how much stocking I should do. I did get to Costco today for the first time since February. Picked up paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, steak, salmon, pork chops, and chicken breasts plus a few more items. Also going to stock up on things I use a lot of in the fall/winter like stocks, cream of X soups, "canned" soup, pasta sauce, pasta, and things like that. Plus a few specialty items like coconut aminos. I spoke to my therapist about it and she said as long as I don't get obsessive or let my "anxiety voice" take charge, then it seems like a solid plan. Just still worried that it's too much.

If you will use it before it expires, there should be no need to worry. Here, it's normal to stock up before winter because we never know what will happen with the weather. If stocks run low later, then you won't be part of the problem because you won't need to shop.

Exactly!! And here it is normal to stock up for the hurricane season, but I'm not "normal". I don't even panic when the storm is very near and predicted to unleash imminent destruction. I live life one day at a time, so won't be buying 6 weeks stock of goods for any reason.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

I have not seen Clorox wipes in the stores since early March.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Lynn, we don't have that brand here but I don't mind posting something similar as a gift to you if you'd like. Let me know.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

Do you have Clorox/Lysol or similar sprays? I rarely use the pre-wetted wipes at home anyway. Since paper towels came back in stock, it is not an issue to just spray on a paper towel and wipe. This is the old fashioned method that I grew up with, but some of us still do that.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited August 2020
    My wife is a supervisor for a special ed district that serves 16 rural school districts in a 3 county area. They are finding many of the districts (which at this time have an in person option) are getting students transferring in from the 2 large "city" districts in the area which went 100% on-line. Of course the majority of these kids are from low income families (they can leave a rental and move easily as opposed to someone that owns a house). Many of these kids have special needs that will tax the special ed resources of the districts since the moves were made in the last couple of weeks and the districts weren't able to plan.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Athijade, I'm becoming more anxious too, may be many of us are. I feel for you so much having dietary issues. They put soy in so much which makes it so difficult to avoid. You have every reason to have a little store by you if only for when the winter sets in. I hope you can find some help to overcome your soy issues.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

My anxiety has just been getting worse because of the increased infection rates, the news coming out about schools and colleges, and flu season. So I am struggling with making sense if it is my "anxiety brain" wanting to stock up or if it is a logical idea. Seeing that others are grabbing a few items each grocery trip makes me feel better about the idea. I wasn't planning on going crazy (I don't have the space even if I wanted to) but a few boxes of chicken, beef, and veggie broth and a few boxes of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup... that sort of thing. Especially since I am more restricted on what brands I can I buy due to food allergies and restrictions. For example, a ton of "cream of..." brands of soup use soy protein or soy sauce in them which I can't have. Same with canned soups. So I would like to be sure I have a handful of those that I know I can safely have.

With schools and colleges going back, I also fear new cases are going to start to skyrocket soon (within the next 3 weeks) and will not abate because too few schools and colleges are willing to take the proper actions even after infections have been reported.

I'm extremely nervous because, as a type 1 diabetic, if I get sick, I'm probably going to have uncontrollably high BG's - this is common with any infection. Hyperglycemia will then increase glycosylation of the ACE2 receptors, a condition required for SARS-COV-2 to enter cells. This means the viral load that enters my cells will be higher than a non-diabetic. Meanwhile, the hyperglycemia may also lead to DKA and I'll most likely die from DKA. I really really do not want to get infected and now infections are getting worse and worse. I'm the anxious type anyway, but this is more fear than anxiety.

Fear change us.

https://bbc.com/future/article/20200401-covid-19-how-fear-of-coronavirus-is-changing-our-psychology
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Do you have Clorox/Lysol or similar sprays? I rarely use the pre-wetted wipes at home anyway. Since paper towels came back in stock, it is not an issue to just spray on a paper towel and wipe. This is the old fashioned method that I grew up with, but some of us still do that.

Yes, I was able to buy some Clorox wipes recently, but previously I was making bleach spray and spraying it on paper towels.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @MikePfirrman I just want to bounce this off your head. One day there was all of that unrest over yonder and the next day they were dropping like flies. It all stopped. No reply required but that was first thought back then and it's still there. That is all. B)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Lynn, we don't have that brand here but I don't mind posting something similar as a gift to you if you'd like. Let me know.

That's very kind, but I should be good for a few more weeks, plus I haven't even tried online, yet. And I have lots of plain bleach, so I could always dilute it and use a cloth rag.

It's interesting how shortages for different products aren't consistent across different areas.

We've long since recovered in the paper products (paper towels, toilet/loo paper, facial tissues), although not the same brands and packaging sizes as we had in the past. I spied my preferred toilet paper last weekend for the first time since March and bought a four-roll pack. Used to be available in nine-roll packs, but not now. And we now have massive cardboard cartons of some unknown brand of toilet paper -- I think it holds at least 20 rolls. Possibly originally intended for sales to businesses, office buildings, etc.