Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's a sad state of affairs but if it affects the children in greater numbers the parents might take it seriously, @MikePfirrman. Over the Mother's Day weekend there were all kinds of gatherings at homes and places. We watched carloads of people pile into a neighbor's place for a potluck.

Many don't believe it's real so they take chances like this one. Pesky tourists are all over the place just laying in wait showing us they can do whatever they want.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news/woman-burned-by-thermal-feature-after-illegally-entering-yellowstone-national-park

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I'm in AZ and just saw a projection yesterday (I think mainly because we're on a rapid upward trajectory and have so many older people) that we will have an increase in deaths of 5000%. I think we're at 500 deaths now and they are predicting well over 5000 more.

Yet masks aren't required and restaurants opened over the weekend. People were standing in line at haircutting places, nail salons and spas. Most all didn't have masks.

I'm at the point now where if people want to die, you can't help them. I feel sorry that they have minimized the risk, ignored the science and now can't wait to "be free". I just don't think what will happen to them is as fun as they anticipate.

We will continue to shelter in place for the most part, eat at home (and I'm fortunate enough to have a career where I don't step out of the house).

The only ones I feel sorry for is the first responders and family members of those that continue to put everyone at risk for their "civil liberties".

The thing that frustrates me about this is that *we all* have to live with these people who don't care if they live or die (or act as if they don't). I can be doing everything I can, but I still have to leave the house for groceries sometimes and when I do I'm encountering these people who are not taking any precautions. Nothing is going to protect me from that. That's what is frustrating. If these people could live in their own bubble, I wouldn't be as frustrated. They don't. We have to live alongside them.

I'm 69, and my spouse is 73. He had a mild stroke in early March, also had been ill for a week with some kind of fever/cough/weakness bug. He was tested and deemed positive for flu/type A when he was hospitalized, and when I was dealing with a sore throat and body aches & feeling chest tightness the following week I figured I probably had a mild case of flu too + maybe general anxiety causing the chest tightness. I didn't go to the dr. One, I hardly ever do unless there's arterial blood spurting, and two, I couldn't leave spouse home alone. We might both have had covid, actually (in the words of one of my physician friends, "a dog can have both ticks and fleas") or maybe not. Spouse is recovered (yay) and had a pacemaker inserted last month. So we're both vulnerable, and he's got additional risk factors.

All of this is to say that I totally relate to the frustration of living alongside folks who believe they are at low risk, & figure the downward trend of active covid mean they can go back to living as they did pre-pandemic. Those folks are going to keep us at home for the foreseeable future. When the restaurants finally open, and our favorite diner is calling our name, we won't go unless there is space in the outdoor seating area, or engage in any other activity where we will have sustained close contact except within our circle of friends/neighbors who are approaching taking responsibility for their health and those they care about similarly. It's just the way it's going to be for the next couple of years.

I've spent decades taking care of myself with the goal of living independently and in reasonably good health for as long as possible, and I'm not going to stop now. The mental health daily practice has been around being at peace with what is, and working to change what will be. There is nothing I can do to change the length of time to an effective and safe vaccine for covid or to stop it from mutating into something more deadly, but I can wear a mask when outside and grocery shop at the places were the staff and customers do the same.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I agree with you that we should all do what we can to maximize our own safety. This is absolutely having an impact on where I choose to shop - some places do feel safer than others.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm just concerned about the rest of my family, and how typical family celebrations will be handled going forward. It's hard to imagine only seeing them when it's nice enough to sit outside at an appropriate distance. And if they decide to throw caution to the wind, do I decline Thanksgiving? Do I go since I'm being careful and their the ones I'm worried about anyway? <sigh>

The guilt about family gatherings is so, so real. I've got the only grandchildren so far for my family, and their grandparents understand our taking precautions, but they're rightfully disappointed we can't see them in person/can't go on the trips we were planning on. I've got one kid who has a couple of heart conditions. We just can't take that kind of risk.

My OH's aunt is turning 90 this week. We are all filming clips to send to her.

My nephew's bar mitzvah was supposed to be this month. They postponed it once, to the fall, and again, to this time next year.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @janejellyroll - if it sounded like it, I didn't mean to minimize the impact that some will have on all of us. It's just, at this point, it's looking like the powers that be don't care or it's inconvenient to THEM.

I heard something yesterday that 30% of the population in the US, even if there's a vaccine, are so ignorant they won't take it. So I guess what I'm saying is Darwism is in full display right now in front of our very eyes. It will play out and the stupid are putting themselves (and the rest of us) at risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm in AZ and just saw a projection yesterday (I think mainly because we're on a rapid upward trajectory and have so many older people) that we will have an increase in deaths of 5000%. I think we're at 500 deaths now and they are predicting well over 5000 more.

Yet masks aren't required and restaurants opened over the weekend. People were standing in line at haircutting places, nail salons and spas. Most all didn't have masks.

I'm at the point now where if people want to die, you can't help them. I feel sorry that they have minimized the risk, ignored the science and now can't wait to "be free". I just don't think what will happen to them is as fun as they anticipate.

We will continue to shelter in place for the most part, eat at home (and I'm fortunate enough to have a career where I don't step out of the house).

The only ones I feel sorry for is the first responders and family members of those that continue to put everyone at risk for their "civil liberties".

The thing that frustrates me about this is that *we all* have to live with these people who don't care if they live or die (or act as if they don't). I can be doing everything I can, but I still have to leave the house for groceries sometimes and when I do I'm encountering these people who are not taking any precautions. Nothing is going to protect me from that. That's what is frustrating. If these people could live in their own bubble, I wouldn't be as frustrated. They don't. We have to live alongside them.

Huh, here in my state of Massachusetts you are not allowed in stores without some sort of face covering. Municipalities made this an order some time ago and now it is state-wide.

https://www.mass.gov/news/wear-a-mask-in-public

...Governor Baker has issued an Order effective Wednesday, May 6 requiring face masks or cloth face coverings in public places where social distancing is not possible. This applies to both indoor and outdoor spaces....
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @fitlulu4150 Wishing you a stellar recovery, too. It's difficult not to squeeze our family members with hugs and kisses all around. <3