Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

I have not seen Clorox wipes in the stores since early March.

Do you have Clorox/Lysol or similar sprays? I rarely use the pre-wetted wipes at home anyway. Since paper towels came back in stock, it is not an issue to just spray on a paper towel and wipe. This is the old fashioned method that I grew up with, but some of us still do that.

I'm nearing the bottom of my last can of Lysol spray and the bottom of a container of Clorox spray. Which I will miss more than the wipes, as I like to directly spray the sink fixtures after I first wash my hands when coming back into the house from outside, before I touch them again to turn the water off.

I used to only use the wipes on the toilet, rather than have to disinfect a cloth after using it on the toilet, which was the old-fashioned method I grew up with :smile: But the early covid prevention advice seemed so heavily focused on the dangers of surfaces that I started cleaning frequently touched surfaces with the wipes on a daily basis, which I'm sure many people were doing more frequently, but I live alone and worked from home even before covid, so it's probably overkill, given how few people I've let into the house in the past five months -- one HVAC tech for the spring system checkup, and my similarly isolated brother, who came into the kitchen by himself a few times to manage his own food during a socially distanced backyard meal.

I actually had a pretty big stockpile (accumulated before covid) when this all started, but my brother didn't, so I have shared with him a couple of times. I would never have dreamed that five months on there would still be shortages.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

Ah, that makes sense. Everything else is in pretty much normal supply here [Canada] except wipes. I've always preferred them for quick small clean-ups because of the dogs, as I once had a puppy decide to lick a disinfectant I'd sprayed before I had a chance to wipe it up and I never want one of my animals to ingest a toxic substance again. Anyway, I had a few tubs on hand and I've been rationing them since I haven't been able to replace them since March.

My father doesn't like colas and drinks only diet pop, and I've been unable to find anything other than diet Coke or Pepsi for about the past month. Turns out there is also a shortage of both artificial sweeteners and aluminum for cans so manufacturers have been focusing on producing their most popular flavours. So now my poor father not only doesn't leave the house, he doesn't have pop to drink.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

Ah, that makes sense. Everything else is in pretty much normal supply here [Canada] except wipes. I've always preferred them for quick small clean-ups because of the dogs, as I once had a puppy decide to lick a disinfectant I'd sprayed before I had a chance to wipe it up and I never want one of my animals to ingest a toxic substance again. Anyway, I had a few tubs on hand and I've been rationing them since I haven't been able to replace them since March.

My father doesn't like colas and drinks only diet pop, and I've been unable to find anything other than diet Coke or Pepsi for about the past month. Turns out there is also a shortage of both artificial sweeteners and aluminum for cans so manufacturers have been focusing on producing their most popular flavours. So now my poor father not only doesn't leave the house, he doesn't have pop to drink.

I just got diet dr. pepper at Sam's (my birthday treat to myself). What I miss most is fresca which seems to have disappeared entirely.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    People are using Fresca for a cleaner. ;) They're using it to clean showers, toilets and ceramic tiles. Next best thing to Lysol which you can't find anywhere either. Just kiddin' but citric sodas are great rust busters. It cleans grout. Takes corrosion off a car battery. Driveway stains.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    lokihen wrote: »

I just got diet dr. pepper at Sam's (my birthday treat to myself). What I miss most is fresca which seems to have disappeared entirely.
    Ok, I thought I was imagining things! We don’t drink a lot of soda, but I went searching for caffeine free coke or Pepsi and couldn’t find any! I thought the shelves look less... diverse?

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    People are using Fresca for a cleaner. ;) They're using it to clean showers, toilets and ceramic tiles. Next best thing to Lysol which you can't find anywhere either. Just kiddin' but citric sodas are great rust busters. It cleans grout. Takes corrosion off a car battery. Driveway stains.

When I was in the military we used to put coca colas in the wash with our BDUs after motorpool if we'd gotten especially greasy. :) Worked like a charm, every single time. Nowadays I use Oxyclean for that though. And white vinegar, which I haven't been able to find for months around here.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

Diet Mountain Dew is his favourite and that's been gone for months. There was only one store that ever carried it anyway. Fresca is his second choice, none to be had. No sign of diet Sprite/7up or a ginger ale either.

Happy birthday!
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member

Diet Mountain Dew is his favourite and that's been gone for months. There was only one store that ever carried it anyway. Fresca is his second choice, none to be had. No sign of diet Sprite/7up or a ginger ale either.

Happy birthday!

Thanks!

I like diet 7up for dealing with an upset stomach and you're right, very hard to find.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

Happy birthday!

Thanks!

I like diet 7up for dealing with an upset stomach and you're right, very hard to find.

When I was in Bali I'd get mild upset stomach every second day even though being careful with what I ate and drank. Regular Coke or Ginger beer helped if you can find them. Do you have a Soda Stream? Maybe you can make stuff yourself. I keep forgetting to use mine.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the town nearest to us (small town population 20,000 with 2 colleges. About 3000 students enrolled at this college) off campus party has resulted in an outbreak of Covid-19 among the party goers. Annual tuition $50,000/year. How are they going to get a grip on COVID-19 with this occurring at universities and colleges across the country? I’m in Minnesota, and the highest rates of new infections is in the 20-30 age group.

It is happening at colleges here in Indiana. One school just kicked out like 36 students for attending a party. The schools had all students sign documents about NOT doing stupid stuff like that. They broke it. They suffered the consequences. Another school is looking into a party there and those students will be kicked out as well when they are identified. The dean has already said that if it continues, they WILL be going all online which has made a lot of other students upset. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

So, is anyone stocking up any? With flu season coming up along with Covid, I am wondering how much stocking I should do. I did get to Costco today for the first time since February. Picked up paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, steak, salmon, pork chops, and chicken breasts plus a few more items. Also going to stock up on things I use a lot of in the fall/winter like stocks, cream of X soups, "canned" soup, pasta sauce, pasta, and things like that. Plus a few specialty items like coconut aminos. I spoke to my therapist about it and she said as long as I don't get obsessive or let my "anxiety voice" take charge, then it seems like a solid plan. Just still worried that it's too much.

If you will use it before it expires, there should be no need to worry. Here, it's normal to stock up before winter because we never know what will happen with the weather. If stocks run low later, then you won't be part of the problem because you won't need to shop.

Exactly!! And here it is normal to stock up for the hurricane season, but I'm not "normal". I don't even panic when the storm is very near and predicted to unleash imminent destruction. I live life one day at a time, so won't be buying 6 weeks stock of goods for any reason.

I didn't stock up either. I threw almost everything we own on the front lawn because it was soaked in sewage water when we got flooded. That was fun. Isn't life awesome?

What a waste. The more you stock up, the more you have to lose. Crazy, isn't it?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    So oddly enough I don't normally watch network TV that much but I had recorded a series starting in early March thru April/May. It's amazing to see how the commercials change thru that time period. So much that I am almost watching the episodes just to see the commercials instead of the show. B)

At work we had manager zoom training the other day about Covid and guidelines. All I could think of the entire time we were having the training was that in a year from now will any of the training have been valid? Mostly things like when are you contagious and how long to isolate etc.

One thing is for certain EVERYONE will remember the great toilet paper run for the rest of history.. :D

Why?? I still don't get the big deal about toilet paper.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I still have the can of wipes I bought the first day of the shutdown. They are nearing empty. I have bought wipes twice since then, the second time I gave them all to MIL though.

I work from home. I leave the house to go to church, the gym, and pick up groceries. I sanitize my hands when I get to church and when I get back in the car. I sanitize my hands when I get to the gym and when I get back in the car. I don't usually when I just pick up groceries because I don't leave the car. I wash my hands with soap and water when I get home from anywhere.

That is about all extra I do, well I already washed my hands when I got home from anywhere - the sanitizing is COVID.

I use the disinfecting wipes to clean raw meat/bodily waste messes (including the toilet). I use regular spray cleaner for everything else.

I've heard this too, although it doesn't explain shortages of spray products.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    So oddly enough I don't normally watch network TV that much but I had recorded a series starting in early March thru April/May. It's amazing to see how the commercials change thru that time period. So much that I am almost watching the episodes just to see the commercials instead of the show. B)

At work we had manager zoom training the other day about Covid and guidelines. All I could think of the entire time we were having the training was that in a year from now will any of the training have been valid? Mostly things like when are you contagious and how long to isolate etc.

One thing is for certain EVERYONE will remember the great toilet paper run for the rest of history.. :D

Why?? I still don't get the big deal about toilet paper.

I never understood why there was such a run on TP either, but the hoarding resulted in an outage for about 7 weeks in my area. I almost ran out... if I had run out, I was planning to use paper towels (until those ran out because I couldn't get more of that either) and throw them in the trash so they wouldn't clog the toilet. People who have traveled internationally knows that this is what they do with toilet paper in some places anyway.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the town nearest to us (small town population 20,000 with 2 colleges. About 3000 students enrolled at this college) off campus party has resulted in an outbreak of Covid-19 among the party goers. Annual tuition $50,000/year. How are they going to get a grip on COVID-19 with this occurring at universities and colleges across the country? I’m in Minnesota, and the highest rates of new infections is in the 20-30 age group.

It is happening at colleges here in Indiana. One school just kicked out like 36 students for attending a party. The schools had all students sign documents about NOT doing stupid stuff like that. They broke it. They suffered the consequences. Another school is looking into a party there and those students will be kicked out as well when they are identified. The dean has already said that if it continues, they WILL be going all online which has made a lot of other students upset. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

So, is anyone stocking up any? With flu season coming up along with Covid, I am wondering how much stocking I should do. I did get to Costco today for the first time since February. Picked up paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex, steak, salmon, pork chops, and chicken breasts plus a few more items. Also going to stock up on things I use a lot of in the fall/winter like stocks, cream of X soups, "canned" soup, pasta sauce, pasta, and things like that. Plus a few specialty items like coconut aminos. I spoke to my therapist about it and she said as long as I don't get obsessive or let my "anxiety voice" take charge, then it seems like a solid plan. Just still worried that it's too much.

If you will use it before it expires, there should be no need to worry. Here, it's normal to stock up before winter because we never know what will happen with the weather. If stocks run low later, then you won't be part of the problem because you won't need to shop.

Exactly!! And here it is normal to stock up for the hurricane season, but I'm not "normal". I don't even panic when the storm is very near and predicted to unleash imminent destruction. I live life one day at a time, so won't be buying 6 weeks stock of goods for any reason.

I didn't stock up either. I threw almost everything we own on the front lawn because it was soaked in sewage water when we got flooded. That was fun. Isn't life awesome?

What a waste. The more you stock up, the more you have to lose. Crazy, isn't it?

We had our home flooded about a year before covid. Not sure if I was clear on that. I just meant we bought stuff for over 50 years like everyone does. Gone. Never mind. I like having less anyway.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I’m stocking up on canned goods again (so husband will eat if I get sick) and paper products, Clorox wipes and some frozen fruit and veggies. I’m worried about hoarding again with seasonal flu approaching. The leaves are beginning to change, autumn is approaching and with schools starting up, there will be a lot more exposure possible.

I have not seen Clorox wipes in the stores since early March.

They aren’t actually Clorox brand, but Menards has bleach wipes and hand sanitizer, and a good supply of both. I haven’t seen the Clorox brand since this started.