Guys/Girls: What is your real opinion on..

Options

Replies

• PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options

Whats your feeling (guys and girls) on your SO not being supportive or interested in your weightloss or health journey? If you are with someone who is healthy but does not like your workout schedule, eating regimen, or your interest in the topic?

Is it a deal breaker?

What if they accept it...but don't want to hear about it?

The struggle is real and I understand your question...

- We very much enjoy debating the latest in health and fitness and the food industry machine...

- Our schedules have always been a source of conflict... I'm a morning person and she's a night owl

- Meals are often a struggle because she's primarily a vegan these days and I just can't...

- And at the end of the day I've learned to just not talk about things like body fat percentages, my weight, body measurements, exercise programs, prs, etc... I guess it all sounds kinda self absorbed 🤷🏽‍♂️

I could go on about so much more but you learn to deal, accept, and shrug things off... Both of us have 💕

I guess that's really all I can say about that 🤷🏽‍♂️

I guess thats where I'm at...is understanding that maybe it comes off as self aborbed...but in past relationships I was always pushed to do more be better...so its a shift for me mentally
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »

Whats your feeling (guys and girls) on your SO not being supportive or interested in your weightloss or health journey? If you are with someone who is healthy but does not like your workout schedule, eating regimen, or your interest in the topic?

Is it a deal breaker?

I say weigh the pros and cons. Some things arent going to be 100% in sync with couples. Most people i have dated are into physical fitness but not on the same level as i am into it and thats fine. If most everything else lines up its cool. As long as they arent attacking your healthy habits and just indifferent i was always ok with it.

Yeah, I mostly feel this way till a recent convo...and im not super crazy fitness lady, where he stated he didn't like hearing about it cause it made him insecure.

I said I'd like to be with someone who was proud of me no matter what im driven to fo

You should be with someone who is proud of you and encourages you to feel at your best. Simply said... never let anyone dull your sparkle. Ever. That is a standard I believe everyone at the very least owes themselves. I have zero tolerance for this type of jelous insecurity, because there is nothing that can be done on your end to fix it, other than being less than you can be. And that, well.. is just not acceptable. He has work to do on himself in this instance, if he is in any way worth his salt... he will.

I agree with this too...and i told him...are you not proud...in his defense...he makes me food i can eat...he does hikes with me...he's made some changes...the convo just threw me for a loop
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Is it a deal breaker?

Whether or not it's a dealbreaker would be based on whether or not they're being an *kitten* about it, from an attitudinal POV.

But if they just don't want to hear about "it" (workout schedule, eating regimen, or your interest in the topic), then I can't fault them for that...necessarily. It can be tedious at times. How often does one really want to listen about squat form, the minutiae of a DL progression or how you rolled your eyes when the waiter forgot to put your toppings on the side as you asked?

I mean, I get it.

😬ok...i get it...thanks for that perspective...we have so many things in common I guess this one part can get old ...soooo you don't wanna know how much protein I ate today😂
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options

Is it a deal breaker?

I say weigh the pros and cons. Some things arent going to be 100% in sync with couples. Most people i have dated are into physical fitness but not on the same level as i am into it and thats fine. If most everything else lines up its cool. As long as they arent attacking your healthy habits and just indifferent i was always ok with it.

Yeah, I mostly feel this way till a recent convo...and im not super crazy fitness lady, where he stated he didn't like hearing about it cause it made him insecure.

I said I'd like to be with someone who was proud of me no matter what im driven to fo

You should be with someone who is proud of you and encourages you to feel at your best. Simply said... never let anyone dull your sparkle. Ever. That is a standard I believe everyone at the very least owes themselves. I have zero tolerance for this type of jelous insecurity, because there is nothing that can be done on your end to fix it, other than being less than you can be. And that, well.. is just not acceptable. He has work to do on himself in this instance, if he is in any way worth his salt... he will.

I agree with this too...and i told him...are you not proud...in his defense...he makes me food i can eat...he does hikes with me...he's made some changes...the convo just threw me for a loop

My response was based solely on what you said in your post. Of course only you know the fine print of your relationship... all I'm sayin' is... just don't take no guff! 😄😘
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options

Is it a deal breaker?

My response was based solely on what you said in your post. Of course only you know the fine print of your relationship... all I'm sayin' is... just don't take no guff! 😄😘

I agree with you 100...its been a struggle and area of contention...im trying to understand it
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I have always found women attractive, I admire and like to look at (many) of them. I find a lot of girls very different attributes distractingly attractive. I find way more women attractive than men.

I have no sexual feelings towards women.

I agree with most of this. I have always assumed that, like my mom told me way back when, everyone thought women were attractive and lovely to look at. I think that’s a fairly accurate assessment..?

However, i would say that my feelings toward women, if i have any at all and those are rare and only in EXTREMELY specific situations, are only sexual. I have like no, NONE, zero desire to be in a relationship with a woman. And i dont say that as a veiled insult against women or anything. I have just never experienced relationshippy vibes about a woman.

Ugh, it is SUCH an internet cliche to be “bi-curious” or whatever they call it now that even saying as much as I have feels like a trope

Edit: i have never experienced anything sexual with a woman. Not even close. So i have literally no idea how i’d feel about it.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Is it a deal breaker?

- We very much enjoy debating the latest in health and fitness and the food industry machine...

- Our schedules have always been a source of conflict... I'm a morning person and she's a night owl

- Meals are often a struggle because she's primarily a vegan these days and I just can't...

- And at the end of the day I've learned to just not talk about things like body fat percentages, my weight, body measurements, exercise programs, prs, etc... I guess it all sounds kinda self absorbed 🤷🏽‍♂️

I could go on about so much more but you learn to deal, accept, and shrug things off... Both of us have 💕

I guess thats where I'm at...is understanding that maybe it comes off as self aborbed...but in past relationships I was always pushed to do more be better...so its a shift for me mentally

You know I was going to ask a question in here the other day...

Ladies...

A guy who pushes you to do more and improve, or a guy who accepts you just as you are and can careless about pushing you?

I don't push her at all because I don't want her to think I'm less than okay with her just as she is.... But I'm primarily talking about diet and exercise... Housework and other things are a different matter...

As for pushing me... I think she feels the same way, but she often asserts that she wants me to be more normal I guess... Let's face it, getting up at 4am everyday to workout is probably not normal... Never finishing a take out meal isn't either really...

But she's learned by now that I'm never going to stop, know matter how much it may drive her nuts... So these days she pretty much learned to accept that it's just the way I am now...

What I'm saying is... Never ever give up on yourself...
    If he is meant to be around, he'll learn to accept you for the way you are 💕
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Is it a deal breaker?

Ladies...

A guy who pushes you to do more and improve, or a guy who accepts you just as you are and can careless about pushing you?

I don't push her at all because I don't want her to think I'm less than okay with her just as she is.... But I'm primarily talking about diet and exercise... Housework and other things are a different matter...

As for pushing me... I think she feels the same way, but she often asserts that she wants me to be more normal I guess... Let's face it, getting up at 4am everyday to workout is probably not normal... Never finishing a take out meal isn't either really...

But she's learned by now that I'm never going to stop, know matter how much it may drive her nuts... So these days she pretty much learned to accept that it's just the way I am now...

Yep
    You are your own person
    And deserve that people you choose to have in your life respect, and hopefully appreciate that
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Is it a deal breaker?

Ladies...

I am going to answer both of these questions if I may cause they kinda relate in a way I think.

1) Re: you SO being or not being supportive in your fitness.
    My partner is probably neutral, he hasn’t said anything either way to me. I’ve gotten up early every weekday since May (except the week we went camping) to work out and he hasn’t said anything one way or another. I’m not mad necessarily, but words of affirmation would be appreciated for the lifestyle I’m adopting. Maybe I’m being too needy? On the other hand, he eats the healthy food I cook without complaint and indulges with my vegetable experiments and the flexitarian (almost vegetarian) diet I have.

Im sure he doesn’t want to hear about all my workouts and food and logging and macros and those kind of details, which is a major reason why I decided to be more active on the MFP forums.

2) Re: Partner pushing you or accepts you as you are.
    I don’t think they have to be mutually exclusive. I personally would like to be pushed a little more. I don’t think pushing someone, as long as they want to be pushed a bit, isn’t accepting them if who they are. I’m always curious to see how far I could go, how strong I could be etc. Sometimes a little push is good encouragement. But maybe accepting someone as they are is recognizing they want to be pushed a bit? Hmm...

Okay I thought I had more to say, but I think that’s it.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Ladies: how would/do you feel when know that your partner would prefer that you never wear makeup?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    Ladies: how would/do you feel when know that your partner would prefer that you never wear makeup?

Me: "Oh, ok that's cool." (continues to put on makeup when, and if, she pleases)
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Would wear makeup and fake lashes
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options

Personally I’d be quite fine with this. 🤷‍♀️