September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    popping in
    Been running but currently only have my phone and old laptop. Been running and hiking a bit.
    Last couple of weeks were tough
    Lost my job last Monday
    BIL died last Tues(aneurysm due to alcoholism complications)
    Been giving myself permission to do nothing and relax. No shoulds.
    I have an offer but may not start till mid October

Hope all is well
    Chin up

Well kittens. That sounds like a tough couple of weeks. Hope you catch a break soon and I’m sorry for your loss.
  • rheddmobile
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Re: medals. The place I got the quote from does three varieties of medal, a die cast which is a standard circle with stuff on it, custom die cast, and acrylic, which can be any shape and has a quicker turnaround and lower cost. For the acrylic this is the info I have:
    Qty 50-100 custom acrylic medals (white acrylic)
    3.75"
    1-1/2" standard neck band (Unattached)
    $4.49 each
    Shipping $20

(That’s $244.50 for a batch of 50 medals)

Given our custom die cast medals require a 200 piece minimum, your best bet would be our custom acrylic medals. In addition, we obtain all custom neckbands from overseas which has been taking longer than usual due to covid. I would suggest we include your neckband text on the medal itself which not only would save time and cost. We manufacture the acrylic medals ourselves and cn control lead time and handle last minute additions or changes to orders. In addition, our acrylic medals are usually made much larger than a die cast medals to add weight and girth.

This page has examples of what some of their custom acrylic medals look like:

https://www.justawardmedals.com/Custom-Award-Medals-Color-Printed-Acylic-s/796.htm

I would prefer a custom shaped die cast over this, if that can be had at comparable cost, but these look like a reasonable compromise between cost and looks.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @kristinajeang Glad your ankle is doing better! I remember when I did c25k each run seemed like it was going to be impossible, but then by the time I got to the next part, turns out it wasn’t impossible after all!

@Camaramandy648 I am afraid I laughed out loud at your egg story. Also - teens - it’s a miracle my mom and I lived through my 14th year without anyone actually being set on fire.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,060 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    "Also I thought my egg for lunch was boiled and it wasn't so when I cracked it by squeezing, egg came out and it freaked me out so I practically through it across the kitchen at work.
    Sorry, but this made my laugh out loud. Sounds like something I would do. LOL

@robertmuino If you bookmark this thread, hit the little star at the top right of the page, you can easily find us. Feel free to lurk and comment and then join in next month. The link to October will be posted here a couple of days before the end of the month.

@kristinajeang Yeah for your progress. C25K is a great program.

@mbaker566 So sorry for you losses. Doing nothing with no should's sounds like a great way to get a handle on everything. Glad you already have a job offer.

@rheddmobile Glad you had a nice run on one of your favorite trails. It looks really nice. For some reason, I didn't picture it in my head as being paved. I love morning glories and watching horses frolic. Sounds like a wonderful morning.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    popping in
    Been running but currently only have my phone and old laptop. Been running and hiking a bit.
    Lost my job last Monday

Hope all is well
    Chin up

Sending you positive thoughts and lots of love.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    09/09 2.35 miles
    10/09 2.35 miles
    12/09 2.33 miles
    16/09 2.38 miles
    17/09 2.31 miles
    20/09 2.31 miles
    23/09 2.60 miles
    24/09 2.40 miles

Total 19.03 of 26.2 miles for PastorVincent memorial challenge

@mbaker566 - Sorry your having such a rough time
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I’m sorry you are going through all of that. Hugs for you and your family.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,060 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Wish I could give you some real hugs, but virtual ones will have to do. I'm glad your family was able to be with your dad at the end. I think that is so important for everyone. Continue to take care of yourself. We're here if you need us.

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    0924-8k, total-40.8k goal-80k

Another solid 8km run in the morning. 17°C setting out, and it had just finished raining so high humidity. One of those funky runs where you feel hot and cold at the same time. Joints are a little stiff, probably due to lack of sleep, but good run overall.

Which brings me to my ventures into polyphasic sleep, which will be a bit of an essay -
    Background: I don't sleep a lot. I fall asleep just fine but tend to wake up 3 or 4 hours later and end up staring at the ceiling until the sun comes up. This happens three or four times a week. Sunday night I couldn't sleep anyway and stayed up for a friend until pretty much 6:30am, then ended up taking naps at work at noon and then in the late afternoon. When I woke up again at 4am on Tuesday morning, it suddenly struck me - isn't this what they call polyphasic sleeping anyway?

The experiment: Chose a schedule made up of 4.5 hours of sleep at night, three 20min naps a day. Right now I'm putting them right before work, during lunch break, and then another one that is supposed to be 5pm-ish but oftentimes gets kicked around so I've ended up sleeping in really weird places and times. Today I was entirely dead to the world during a 45 minute car ride to our next event venue.

Today is day 4 of the experiment. I'd call it an overall success. Feeling much more alert and productive than someone sleeping 5 hours a day has the right to. I do get extremely sleepy before the "main sleep" of the day though. A client tried to get me to write something at 11pm last night, and I looked over it this morning and it was complete gibberish. (Or perhaps this whole post is complete gibberish and I just can't tell yet.) It kind of feels like previously when I get sleepy it's my brain saying it's tired. Now it's my whole body yelling at me to sleep, with rising pressure in my cells or something.

Adverse effects of the schedule are, of course, the overwhelming tiredness when I can't get a nap in time. I'm exhibiting many of the often mentioned symptoms people talk about in this "adaption phase", headaches, flu-like aches, drowsiness in the new waking hours. They say these go away in a few weeks.

An interesting side effect perhaps. I think I'm a bit happier on this schedule. Maybe because one is much more aware of oneself and the timing of the next nap. It's like my brain is suddenly thrown into constant survival mode and has no more time to care about the existential problems like why am I here and what am I doing with my life.

Will keep on with this experiment and report back if anyone is interested.
    "I'd wake up at 4am to run and still also run in the evenings, just shorter."
    Same here. Wouldn't that be the life?
    popping in
    Lost my job last Monday

Hope all is well
    Chin up
    Sorry to hear that. Sending hugs.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    popping in
    Lost my job last Monday

Hope all is well
    Chin up

Sorry for what you're having to deal with.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart The pain never goes away, but eventually gets to the point where it's bearable. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.