WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Michele - I may try that. It's not sweets that I want, it's not even snacky foods so much, except potato chips, as I want Mac and cheese, Pizza, burgers and fries, potatoes and gravy, cheese and crackers.... well you get the picture. I could have chocolate, cakes, cookies, ice cream all around me and not touch it.

I was munching on dill pickles for a while, maybe I'll try that again.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    RITA Those sandals look familiar. I even have that color in my Teva collection.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Saved the Astorian Newspaper to send to youngest Navy son in Japan. The newspaper is great because there's always a nice historical piece, some international news, but primarily Seaside, Warrenton and Astoria news stories. Hopefully he'll find the stories, and comics interesting. Hard to know what he thinks anymore these days. He's 2/3rds of the way thru his Japan tour!

Just finished having my treat ice cream with mochi over it. Mochi is sweet rice flavored spongy consistancy, and its covering the ball of mango flavored ice cream. Mochi normally has powdered sugar over it, so it isn't sticky. Oh man its delightful!
    glf444vmom23.jpg
    💖Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Katla – the only crocks for sourdough that I see on KA’s website are ceramic. How can you tell if it’s doubled in size? Now they do have a picture of it in a glass Ball jar. There’s also a picture of it in the jar in the booklet that came with the starter.

Michele NC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    Pppp
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is World Rabies Day!

"September 28 is World Rabies Day, a global health observance started in 2007 to raise awareness about rabies and bring together partners to enhance prevention and control efforts worldwide. ... While rabies is a 100% preventable disease, more than 59,000 people die from the disease around the world each year. ... The theme for World Rabies Day 2020 is 'End Rabies: Collaborate, Vaccinate' – you can help by keeping pets up to date on their rabies vaccination, and collaborating with doctors, veterinarians, educators, community workers, policy makers, and others in your community to raise awareness around rabies prevention and control."

Beth - We haven't been able to bring ourselves to go to the gym again either. I really need to ask them to freeze our membership, because I don't see feeling comfortable with that anytime soon. I sure do miss it, though!

Ginny - Your eggplant parmesan sounds really good. It's been awhile since I made that... will have to put it on the menu soon.

Vicki - Your memorial tattoo is lovely.

Linda - My brother makes us save the brine for him when we finish a jar of pickles. He swears by pickle juice for leg cramps. These days you can just buy pickle juice, but my brother is too thrifty to do that.

Luna is overdue for her vaccination boosters, so today is a reminder to call the vet and get that done.

Today I made a chocolate & raspberry trifle for my mother-in-law's birthday tomorrow. We're going to drop by there for a little outdoor social and take her a bromeliad. Only thing is, now that the trifle is sitting in the 'fridge, all I can think about is eating it! It's been a beautiful day here, although windy, so I'm going to take Luna for a walk to keep my mind off of trifle.

Wishing you a meaningful fast if you are fasting for Yom Kippur. G'mar chatima tovah.

-Yvonne in TX
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hi, weird I had thought I had posted Saturday but can't find the post! :/

online and face to face classes starting. I like live classes and online classes leave much to be desired.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: This is an example, and it is one of my own crocks. there are loads of companies that make them.

dx1b0wgq32z8.jpeg
    bq8vpwaa3fcj.jpeg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    This is why everyone in our area is SO tired of the fires. This is just the one area- there is the area just to the right (Napa County) that is closer to us(but this is the area my parents are in along with all my friends/family). Many fires all around us the past few years.

o4e1o57fmxq6.png

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Evening all:

Just a quick checkin. Blood pressure elevated some today but is back to normal tonight. Will curtail caffeine more tomorrow. I really like the taste of real coffee and could drink it all day. I do a mix of half caffeinated, half decaf. Will make 2/3rd decaf tomorrow and see what that does (and just a 6 cup pot in the morning)

Enjoyed watching footballs-my Browns actually won. Did get a long walk in this morning. Made eggplant paremsan. Had picked up two small eggplants from church garden. Hadn't had that in years (like in the early 1980s when I was vegetarian). I guess because husband didn't care for it, we just never made it. May put it in the rotation once a month or so. It was a nice change.

Early this morning, cat Zombu (not the one in the pic) was fighting with another cat outside. Lucy, who is laid back, came trotting to the door and wanted out. Still haven't figured out if Lucy was going to help Zombu defend our property or she just want to watch Zombu get her butt kicked! Zombu can be a bully towards Lucy, but Lucy mainly ignores her.

Off to sleep.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

I will be making eggplant parm tonight(have the eggplant soaking in salt water now-
    Picked a huge one along with tons of other fresh veggies at my parents place yesterday before heading home.
    Tomorrow night will be chicken/sausage/shrimp gumbo, using okra I picked there and some of the tomatoes too.
    Eggplant weighed 4lbs-in the picture, it is sitting in a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish- one slice is bigger than my hand. I do have small hands but this thing is huge. Going to cook the slices in the air fryer- only one slice on each rack at a time(better get started cooking them now- will take a while- Way too hot to use the oven. At almost 4:30PM it is still 103!! We never get weather like this almost the first of Oct.

yhvtx4nf9xc6.png
    1gnruck68gjz.png

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I can tell if the sourdough has risen buy taking off the lid and looking. The sourdough will rise while it is absorbing the new flour & there will be lots of bubbles. Then it will rest. After it has rested, I can take some out and use it to make pancakes, waffles, or bread. When I take some out and use it, I double what is left, by putting flour and milk or water back in the crock and stirring it in. It is important to double the sourdough when you have used some so that it is ready for the next time you want to make something. Good luck.

Katla
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Michele: I can tell if the sourdough has risen buy taking off the lid and looking. The sourdough will rise while it is absorbing the new flour & there will be lots of bubbles. Then it will rest. After it has rested, I can take some out and use it to make pancakes, waffles, or bread. When I take some out and use it, I double what is left, by putting flour and milk or water back in the crock and stirring it in. It is important to double the sourdough when you have used some so that it is ready for the next time you want to make something. Good luck.

Katla

Katla - you are getting me pumped to get sourdough going. I'll look for starter next time I'm at the healthfood store. I think I have a lidded crock around here somewhere or the equivalent.

Thanks for all of the tips! Good luck, Michele!

Had a very nice picnic with my girlfriends, broke away after 2 hours and came home. DH greeted me at the door and said "don't be mad at me". :(

He'd forgotten he had a hot dog boiling on the stove - he was absorbed watching Facebook videos on the tablet - and didn't think about it until the smoke alarm went off.

The hot dog was cremated. He did the best he could scouring out the pan - I threw it and the lid away. Stench pretty bad, I wiped down the kitchen cabinets twice and have the doors open- smoke got in on the dishes. Air purifier going full blast, windows open, exhaust fan running. Smoky smell just in the kitchen and dining room right now.

He's done it once before, but I had caught it before it got too bad and he was able to pick the char off. Not this time.

He said I shouldn't leave him alone. I told him no, I need to take the tablet with me when I leave so he keeps his mind on what he's dong and he needs to set the flippin timer. And cook the dog on simmer.

All in all, I'm grateful it wasn't a grease fire which could have ignited the place.

We're OK.

Lanette
    Warm SW Washington State

If anyone has tips on what to do about the smoky smell, please share. I don't want to spray chemical air fresheners but there might be something fairly "natural" that works.

Maybe baking soda or charcoal briqettes inside of the cupboards for now? I'm going to experiment.

But first I'm going to eat these 2 Twinkies I so richly deserve. >:)

Thanks!
    Lanette B)

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Katla – I THINK the starter doubled, but I’m not sure. I tried the float test and twice it sunk to the bottom and twice it floated. I could order (and probably will) one of those crocks, but it would be at least a few days before I got it. I’m sure I can get a jar from the soup kitchen tomorrow.

Lanette – what I do when I need to go somewhere and I’m checking my email etc. so that I don't get so involved that I lose track of time is I set the timer. Maybe that would help dh, he could set the timer for, oh, maybe 15 minutes. Then he’d know to get up, check the hot dog (or whatever) and reset it for another 15 minutes while he goes back to his tablet. One time I burned something in the microwave and tried putting orange peels in it. Don’t know how much it helped (if at all) to get rid of the smell. Guess anything’s worth a try, eh?

Michele NC

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Today is September 28, 2020
    National Good Neighbor Day- uS
    Ask a Stupid Question Day—Worldwide (Who is Ned Flanders?)
    Hug a vegetarian Day- worldwide (any vegetarians here? You get a virtual hug!
    Drink Beer Day! -Worldwide

Just trying to get my head back in the healthy mode. Slacked off and scale shows it. I was glad that the size 10 denims I bought on sale fit, only a little snot so 5-10 pounds down should do it!

Pip! Where’s that boot!!

RVRITA

Spider Picture. They are on the March here!
    x897qr2u9psn.jpeg
    2r96pw4r2rgl.jpeg
    ej36locahtp4.jpeg

I'm trying to think if I'd regard them as small furry animals and be OK with them ... or if I would regard them as spiders and be less OK with them.

As long as they stayed outside, it would be all right.

Do they bite?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    This coming weekend ... :smiley::smiley::smiley:

00uw5zhvb6vc.png

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,909 Member
    Options
    :) We had a busy yard work day today starting with going to Home Depot and buying more garden soil and manure. I'll be planting tulips and iris tomorrow. Jake filled his raised beds with soil and put the manure in the compost also gathered leaves from the maple tree in the front and covered the raised beds with leaves so they can compost into the dirt over the winter. Also cut the grass in the back yard. Life is good here.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

If anyone has tips on what to do about the smoky smell, please share. I don't want to spray chemical air fresheners but there might be something fairly "natural" that works.

Maybe baking soda or charcoal briqettes inside of the cupboards for now? I'm going to experiment.

But first I'm going to eat these 2 Twinkies I so richly deserve. >:)

Thanks!
    Lanette B)

Try wiping the cabinets with distilled vinegar. I use it to get strong food smells out of my bamboo cutting board.

Tina in CA