WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Allie ... we use a variety of lift equipment with my son who weighs about 140 pounds ... a Hoyer lift being one piece. I use all of the equipment by myself. Of course, I'm his mom and we're at home so the burden is mine if I drop him.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    [quote="exermom;c-

Debbie CA – good thoughts for your parents that they stay safe

Fed my starter again. They say to feed it every 12 hours. I try to do it when Vince isn’t around because I know that he gets upset if some flour or anything else falls on the scale, so I try to clean it up asap. My scale isn’t due to be here until Friday (boo)

Michele NC
    [/quote]

Thanks- I think they are safe from this one. They are getting the smoke but after the last year and a half with two fires right in their area(one across the street a year ago and the other less than 1/4mile from them) there isn't a lot left to really burn.
    Debbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Greetings to all.

I was able to accomplish a lot today. There are still more hours to the day, but wanted to get caught up here with everyone.

Carol – Sorry to hear your credit card got hacked!

Rebecca – If you want your avocado plant to bear fruit you will need another one so the pollen crosses between the plants. 😊

Ginny – Great news DS’s GF is not positive.

Pip – Love the MeerKat!

Katla – So glad your AQ is better. I cannot imagine living with all of that smoke and ash.

Lanette – There are some wonderful oils one can use to reduce the frizz and add shine to curly hair.

RV Rita – Congratulations on your new vehicle!

Allie – My goodness dear you have had your share of losses this year. I am sorry about your painting friend.

Kate – Sorry to hear about your panic attacks. Hopefully the remedy keeps working for you.

Pip – Can you adopt me as one of your dogs? LOL!

Kim – Sorry to hear about Levi’s ears. It’s too bad he does not like them being touched. The smores buffet sounds wonderful. Like you once I get started it’s hard to stop. So rich and sweet. 😊

Heather – Happy belated birthday to Edie. She is adorable! I love the picture of her looking at the cake.

Beth – Happy belated birthday to your son. Milkshakes, yum!

Ginny – Love the new doors. Glad you are happy with them. I am not looking forward to “real” office days.

Faye – My current home is just under 1300 feet with a fenced-in courtyard. Based upon my real-life experiment I think 500-600 square feet would work very well as long as I had a garage or large shed. I have donated or given away the items that no longer have a use in my life.

Leg cramps – My doctor recommended if I am suffering with leg cramps to drink a little tonic water with quinine. I find it helps. That or a banana.

Sue – I hope you enjoy the trip with your mom!

It’s time to start thinking about dinner. I will probably have a large chopped salad and something or another. 😊

SuziQ – SFL

Yeah, now that we r retired, he is getting a better treatment in a lot of areas
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Evening all:

Just a quick checkin. Blood pressure elevated some today but is back to normal tonight. Will curtail caffeine more tomorrow. I really like the taste of real coffee and could drink it all day. I do a mix of half caffeinated, half decaf. Will make 2/3rd decaf tomorrow and see what that does (and just a 6 cup pot in the morning)

Enjoyed watching footballs-my Browns actually won. Did get a long walk in this morning. Made eggplant paremsan. Had picked up two small eggplants from church garden. Hadn't had that in years (like in the early 1980s when I was vegetarian). I guess because husband didn't care for it, we just never made it. May put it in the rotation once a month or so. It was a nice change.

Early this morning, cat Zombu (not the one in the pic) was fighting with another cat outside. Lucy, who is laid back, came trotting to the door and wanted out. Still haven't figured out if Lucy was going to help Zombu defend our property or she just want to watch Zombu get her butt kicked! Zombu can be a bully towards Lucy, but Lucy mainly ignores her.

Off to sleep.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thank you for the comments on "our" beach. :)

That is one benefit of living on an relatively island!! The water isn't far away. :smiley:

When we moved to Tasmania in 2013, we wanted to live within walking distance of a beach and many times I have been so glad we made that decision. This beach is less than 1 km walk away. It isn't a huge beach, maybe only 1 km long, but I think it's pretty and for some reason, it's usually very quiet. Even at the height of summer, it tends to be quieter. There is another beach about the same size maybe 3 km away that tends to be very popular and thus is much busier. It's nice for a walk in the off-seasons, but is way too people-y for me in the summer.

We can see a tiny bit of this beach from our front windows and we can often hear it at night.

It's kind of funny ... since we've moved here, we often tend to go inland, away from the beach, for holidays! It used to be the other way around ... going to the beach for a holiday.

Speaking of beaches and holidays ...

Have you all heard of Forest Bathing?

Getting back to nature: how forest bathing can make us feel better
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/08/forest-bathing-japanese-practice-in-west-wellbeing
    "“Forest bathing is an opportunity for people to take time out, slow down and connect with nature."

"Shinrin-yoku [forest bathing] was developed in the 1980s in Japan. Although people had been taking walks in the country’s forests for centuries, new studies showed that such activity could reduce blood pressure, lower cortisol levels and improve concentration and memory. A chemical released by trees and plants, called phytoncides, was found to boost the immune system. As more research highlighted the benefits of shinrin-yoku, the Japanese government incorporated it into the country’s health programme."

There is also evidence that being in "Blue Space" can be beneficial too ...

Blue spaces: why time spent near water is the secret of happiness
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/nov/03/blue-space-living-near-water-good-secret-of-happiness

Can "Blue Space" Provide Therapeutic Benefits?
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/minding-the-body/201903/can-blue-space-provide-therapeutic-benefits

There are numerous articles on how green spaces and blue spaces can help reduce stress, encourage activity, and improve health. :)

So if you're struggling to exercise, one idea might be to go to a park, path along a river, a beach or similar and just start walking. Enjoy the time out there, away from all the other stresses and pressures in life. :)

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    BTW-Womens 50+ is still in groups. Mine shows under bookmarks with title of "reminder"
  • Machka9
    Options
    charsuzy wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)charsuzy, I listen to audio books and podcasts while I walk. They motivate me to keep walking because I want to keep listening. I put on my walking clothes as soon as I get up in the morning (I lay them out before I go to bed) so I am ready to walk right away. I read this thread while I eat breakfast so I am more motivated to get moving.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

@barbiecat
    You want to keep walking because you want to keep listening is a pretty great statement! That's one way to get more walking in!
    I am not quite ready to go out walking as soon as I get up, but I wish I were there. Being more of a night person I need coffee to get going and to listen to a tape to wake up! ha ha! But it sounds like good practice to get up and go walking right away. That's a great discipline to do that! Thanks!

One of the ways I incorporate walking into my day is to use walking as transportation.

I rarely drive anywhere.

I take the bus to and from work, and that involves a short walk from home to bus and so on.

At lunch, I often run errands which means walking from my office to all sorts of different places around town. I can easily rack up several kilometres that way.

When I attended university in person, I walked the 3 km from my office to the university at least once a week. I had intended to take the bus, but for some reason, the bus was very unreliable for 2 or 3 weeks in a row and I was arriving at my classes late. I did a calculation and determined that it would only take me about 10 more minutes to walk the distance, and my feet would be more reliable than the buses.

If I drive to shop on weekends, I'll usually park at the far end of parking lots, where there are fewer cars, and walk from there. Or, for example, yesterday we decided to stop in at a shop in the middle of the city. There are parking meters throughout the middle of the city, but fortunately the shop we wanted was near the edge of those parking metres, so we parked about 2 blocks away and walked.

I usually take the stairs whenever possible, which can add to the step count as well.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    Leg and Arm Pains and Cramps

Potassium, sodium, calcium, and magnesium. They're called electrolytes. A deficiency or overload of any of these will upset the electrolyte balance. Unbalanced electrolytes can cause all kinds of muscle problems because if the nerves are not firing right because of unbalanced electrolytes, then muscles may hurt or cramp.

Here is an easy to understand article.
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153188#imbalance

Faye

Yes, electrolytes are very important, especially if a person is inclined to drink a lot of water, or has been exercising in hot weather and sweating the electrolytes out.

I know that I need to carry electrolyte tablets on my longer rides, especially if it is hot, and if I'm going to run in hot weather, I'll take an electrolyte tablet before I go.

@cityjaneLondon

My legs will also ache if I have increased the amount of exercise I've done ... or, interestingly, decreased it. If I've been sitting all day, by bedtime, my legs will have started to ache. It's good to get up and move around during the day.

If I've done more exercise than usual, I find that I may need to increase my protein intake a little bit. That can sometimes help with aching legs. For me, that might be a few slices of cheese or some nuts as I'm not a big fan of meat.

I would warn to be careful with the iron. Go for a blood test before you start adding some. I used to think I needed iron because I was having frequent periods, and added it to my vitamins and minerals, but didn't feel particularly well when I did that. I got checked and my iron levels are consistently at the high end of the normal range. Adding iron just pushed me over.

One of the symptoms of that is joint pain.

I don't know if you stretch a little after exercise, but if not, it might be an idea to add a bit of that.

Maybe some of these might help. :)

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Karen - I have not seen that documentary. I am very new to his work. I found it last year when the Country Music one aired. I had seen the Dust Bowl but didn’t realize it was his until today. I am going to be watching for all of his on PBS.

Beth - my weight is fluctuating terribly right now too. My problem is I can’t seem to stop craving and eating all the junk and comfort food.

Machka - I didn’t know there was a term for it, but I absolutely love when I get to be near or in a forest.

I am watching the Canadian Country Music Awards and so far they are choosing winners I agree with. That rarely happens with any award show.

I have had no takers yet on any of the toys I posted. I’ll have to decide whether to donate them or put them back in the toy box. Some of these haven’t been played with in a long time though.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Karen - I have not seen that documentary. I am very new to his work. I found it last year when the Country Music one aired. I had seen the Dust Bowl but didn’t realize it was his until today. I am going to be watching for all of his on PBS.

Beth - my weight is fluctuating terribly right now too. My problem is I can’t seem to stop craving and eating all the junk and comfort food.

Machka - I didn’t know there was a term for it, but I absolutely love when I get to be near or in a forest.

I am watching the Canadian Country Music Awards and so far they are choosing winners I agree with. That rarely happens with any award show.

I have had no takers yet on any of the toys I posted. I’ll have to decide whether to donate them or put them back in the toy box. Some of these haven’t been played with in a long time though.

Tracey in Edmonton

have you tried taking apple cider vinegar pills? When I take them, I am not hungry at all. Don't want to snack and just eat meals but not really overly hungry.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    Oooooo
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I spoke to Lisa on Friday and she was still having tummy etc. problems, my guess is if things have not stabilized this weekend a call to the doctor is on the horizon.

Kim
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I will have to look into that.

Kim - thanks for the update on Lisa.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: Thank you for letting us know about Lisa. I hope she feels better soon. I miss her comments & observations. ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: livestream church
    Bonus: zoom church council
    Get to do: make tuna salad, inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    27: Take time to just breathe and be still.

Machka thanks but don’t thing Bunnings would ship the ammonia to me in the US :laugh: All the places I’ve tried online (WalMart, Target, Home Depot) say “unable to ship” or “out of stock” . Found it on Amazon in gallon size, ordered 2, that should do us for life. As for the thermometers, see some inexpensive ones on WalMart, most are digital or “mercury free.” Hope Tracey can find near her.
    Heather thank you so much for the link, sorely tempted to buy them even tho’ no such celebratory occasions on the horizon.
    Lanette which CBD treats did you use? Shadow keeps chewing the tape off her leg to get to the wound and Joe and I are getting desperate. I have some CBD oil I’ll try rubbing on it for now.
    Katla don’t know what the regulations are in our county/district, but if the neighbor shoots the bear, he’s welcome to the meat. I’m just hoping the blasts scare any large predators, but especially cougars, away. Haven’t had any cougar sightings since labor day, keeping fingers Xd.
    Pip 8 mile walk and deception pass ride, WOW!
    Kim thanks for updating us about Lisa. Sending healing vibes.
    Sue in WA safe travels.

First day in awhile that I didn’t take the dogs down to the powerline. Need my “forest bath” and blue space beach fix.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 27, weigh: 27, steps>5491=2164 vits=26.5 log=27 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=27 mfp=27 outside=24 up hill=26
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4dance= clean 30 mins=10
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=2
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    Options
    Trying to get a doctor’s appointment about my symptoms. Engaged signal at the moment. Monday morning. :sad:

Karen - I'm wondering about various possibilities, including Sjogren's Syndrome. Underactive thyroid or Lupus also a poss, but less likely. I have dry, itchy eyes, a sore throat with a constriction in swallowing, dry skin that is falling off like snow, as well as the aches. I don't have any pain when I move around. Movement is fine.

Ibuprofen has taken the edge off the aches this morning.

Lovely day today, so I might pop out for a run after lunch before the rain arrives from the west.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    <<< Faye was here o:)