Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont and @T1DCarnivoreRunner
    I get both your positions, I brought it up initially as a "hmmmm" from something I remembered hearing last week. My giving the link and its references today was just to provide where I encountered it since there actually seemed to be interest in discussion its possible validity. At this point in time, I do not have the background to read that study (reference #2). Did either of you have better luck? I would have had to sit with a dictionary all day to even attempt it. The only comments I can add to this discussion are that a study was actually done, a doctor bothered to read and reference it (she had plenty to talk about without referencing it), and then an organization chose to write and article on the paper after reading it. It very well could be a case of garbage in garbage out, but it is worth a pause to see if there is anything of value in that study. I hope someone can actually read it! :)

My understanding is that they created models of the virus and then tried to figure out how to make antibodies that circumvent the spike proteins. It doesn't sound like they had success, but still learned more about the structure of the virus and the spike proteins. Did you understand something different?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont and @T1DCarnivoreRunner
    I get both your positions, I brought it up initially as a "hmmmm" from something I remembered hearing last week. My giving the link and its references today was just to provide where I encountered it since there actually seemed to be interest in discussion its possible validity. At this point in time, I do not have the background to read that study (reference #2). Did either of you have better luck? I would have had to sit with a dictionary all day to even attempt it. The only comments I can add to this discussion are that a study was actually done, a doctor bothered to read and reference it (she had plenty to talk about without referencing it), and then an organization chose to write and article on the paper after reading it. It very well could be a case of garbage in garbage out, but it is worth a pause to see if there is anything of value in that study. I hope someone can actually read it! :)

My understanding is that they created models of the virus and then tried to figure out how to make antibodies that circumvent the spike proteins. It doesn't sound like they had success, but still learned more about the structure of the virus and the spike proteins. Did you understand something different?

That's pretty much what I got, except for the part about it not sounding like they had success. It sounded to me like the modeling and gaining insight from the modeling was their goal, and that they intended all along for that insight to be used by other researchers who work on antibody and vaccine development.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Donald Trump and his wife test positive for Covid-19.

Wow, just one more dynamic added to this already crazy election.

• SModa61
    Options

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

I am sure that you are correct. But I can just imagine all that is going to go on in the news now. As it was, I regretted turning on the TV way too often these days.
  • SModa61
    Options

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

That was just discussed a bit on the news. Quarantine (I think they mentioned only 10?) or two negative tests over 24 hours apart. Speculation is that the second will be the faster path to returning to public campaigning. There was also speculation that President Trump may need to change his rally format. Time will tell.
  • SModa61
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

Maybe so but I firmly believe his care and monitoring will be best of the best vs. that poor little 90 yo 100 lb. old lady in the nursing home that's merely someone's mom or grandma who's...well, old already and clearly dispensable. :/

Bitter much? Oh yeh.

The nursing home stories were terrible and sad. In Massachusetts some people are being prosecuted and then NY state made some bad bad decisions when it came to the NYC nursing home. On the other hand, there are plenty of nursing homes that managed to properly protect and care for their residents.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

That was just discussed a bit on the news. Quarantine (I think they mentioned only 10?) or two negative tests over 24 hours apart. Speculation is that the second will be the faster path to returning to public campaigning. There was also speculation that President Trump may need to change his rally format. Time will tell.

But if he is already positive, he will likely be positive for over 14 days anyways unless it was a false positive.
  • SModa61
    Options

But if he is already positive, he will likely be positive for over 14 days anyways unless it was a false positive.

Not necessarily. From the reading I did earlier this week, testing is no where near as accurate as we all would hope. There is apparently a window during which one typically will test positive. Too early, negative, too late, negative. Then again, we have all heard those bizarre stories about a person testing positive for 100 days. Those are not the typical and who knows why one is different from the other. The links I shared here that are worth reading IMO are these. They definitely caught me by surprise:

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/07/when-should-i-be-tested
    https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/06/how-does-covid-19-antigen-test-work
    https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/08/did-we-have-covid-19