Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman & @SModa61 Thanks to both of you for the info!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Kellyanne Conway, who left the White House last month but was at the reception for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett last weekend, which is being eyed as a possible superspreader event, has announced she has tested positive for COVID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/02/trump-biden-live-updates/

Yeah, it's a shame. Two very old gentlemen were seated next to Rev Jenkins, who also has it. Neither had masks. Some will likely die from this. So preventable and unfortunate. I expect Bill Barr to be announced next. He was seen talking to Kellyanne a lot at that event.

Ted Cruz was also seen whispering back and forth to Mike Lee on Thursday, so he should be worried as well.

Yes, about an hour before I heard about Kellyanne I saw a video of her leaning in close to Barr and whispering in his ear. Don't have that but do have this:

ac8ce01cc1b8e9ba9817c20ffd98b3ed.png

Barr has tested negative but still no planing to quarantine. At least he is wearing a mask now...

"Asked Saturday why Barr isn't quarantining after news of Conway's positive Covid results, the Justice Department reiterated to CNN that Barr had tested negative on Friday. Justice Department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec later said Barr had again tested negative.
    The attorney general was seen leaving the White House on Saturday wearing a mask. He had gone there on Friday and Saturday to get Covid tests -- both of which were negative. Barr will continue to self monitor and get tested, according to the Justice Department.
    "

Pence has also tested negative, but he also decided not to quarantine. C. Christie, has tested positive too. In the mean time, conflict information about Trumps' medical condition is coming out from unknown sources and what ever the medical team projects in TV. Who knows who is really running the country!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman
    Is it possible that the mix that appears hit or miss, could be what Walter Reed actually put together? You can that I tend to lean optimistic, even though I am a major cynic. :p

Totally agree with the unpredictable nature. And then on top of it, these news reports are all vying for "a story" and I am having a hard time parsing when true, and what's false.

This morning there was a discussion about Trump's pre-existing conditions, they mentioned his age and weight, but then said that his "most dangerous" condition is being male. I was very surprised by that.

Problem with the masks is they got pulled into political divisiveness and have become a statement. Or at least, that is my thought.

(Haha, getting to the end, i noticed we both called ourselves cynics. :) )
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    He just tweeted a new video. He says he is feeling okay but the next couple of days will be the real test. He definitely looks under the weather, but that is to be expected.

I thought it was weird the press was harping on if he was ever on oxygen. He hasn't been now or the past 2 days. Most patients with any type of respiratory illness are initially given oxygen whether they need it or not. They give oxygen to pretty much everyone who is admitted so I thought it was weird they kept asking like it would make any difference or mean anything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Apparently Hope Hicks said she was one of the more consistent mask wearers in the WH and was upset that others did not wear them and sneered at those who did. She also was apparently upset that initially it seemed that people were throwing her under the bus as the person who infected Trump when it now seems they were likely infected at the same time. WH has said they aren't changing from the less accurate 15 min tests to the apparently more accurate 45 min tests or a mask mandate.
    SModa61 wrote: »
    This morning there was a discussion about Trump's pre-existing conditions, they mentioned his age and weight, but then said that his "most dangerous" condition is being male. I was very surprised by that.

It was entirely avoidable that masks got portrayed as a political statement.

It is true that men on average seem to do more poorly than women, although maybe women get tested more to explain the stats.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons for his medical team throwing so many yet unproven treatments at him is probably because they are trying to avoid putting DT in a ventilator and in an medical induced coma. Trump would have to pass the baton to Pence for as long as necessary and I don't think that he wants to relinquish his power.

Besides, once in a ventilator and specially at his age, his treatment and recovery could be much lengthy and difficult. Just my opinion...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Apparently Hope Hicks said she was one of the more consistent mask wearers in the WH and was upset that others did not wear them and sneered at those who did. She also was apparently upset that initially it seemed that people were throwing her under the bus as the person who infected Trump when it now seems they were likely infected at the same time. WH has said they aren't changing from the less accurate 15 min tests to the apparently more accurate 45 min tests or a mask mandate.

It was entirely avoidable that masks got portrayed as a political statement.

It is true that men on average seem to do more poorly than women, although maybe women get tested more to explain the stats.

I don't know that it has any relevance, but observation of those around me (personal circle and what I see in stores and such) is that men are slightly more likely to be mask objectors, chin maskers, and that sort of thing. There are also signs that viral load (how many viable viral bits hit a person effectively) is a factor in seriousness of infection. No idea if this holds generally, or is meaningful (vs. biological factors of some sort) in the differences between the sexes, but it's a thing I've been wondering about.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Very interesting, so apparently that drug has multiple uses or is being used off label. Very interesting to see the doctor's selections and the "why's". I am hoping that your logical assumption, that they are treating aggressively due to rapid COVID progression, is wrong. I'm hoping they are just trying to get ahead of what "could happen". Time will tell.

Or he was already taking all those other drugs for typical reasons before the COVID diagnosis. The announcement said he "has been" taking them, which in ordinary usage is somewhat vague but more compatible with his taking them for longer than two days since diagnosis, as is the reference to a "daily" aspirin.
    In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman
    Is it possible that the mix that appears hit or miss, could be what Walter Reed actually put together? You can that I tend to lean optimistic, even though I am a major cynic. :p

Totally agree with the unpredictable nature. And then on top of it, these news reports are all vying for "a story" and I am having a hard time parsing when true, and what's false.

Problem with the masks is they got pulled into political divisiveness and have become a statement. Or at least, that is my thought.

(Haha, getting to the end, i noticed we both called ourselves cynics. :) )

Other than the Remdesivir, which @MikePfirrman excluded in the post you appear to be commenting, all the things he seems to be taking were announced by the White House before he was taken to Walter Reed, so it seems unlikely that they are what Walter Reed actually put together. Can't find it now, but a story in either the Washington Post or New York Times in the past couple of days quoted an unnamed White House source as saying that the president was directing his own medical care -- in the way many try to do when they ask their doctors if they should be taking X or Y that they heard about on the Internet or from a friend. The difference would seem to be that for ordinary patients, most doctors probably push back harder on whether the suggested treatment is appropriate.
  • SModa61
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Very interesting, so apparently that drug has multiple uses or is being used off label. Very interesting to see the doctor's selections and the "why's". I am hoping that your logical assumption, that they are treating aggressively due to rapid COVID progression, is wrong. I'm hoping they are just trying to get ahead of what "could happen". Time will tell.

Or he was already taking all those other drugs for typical reasons before the COVID diagnosis. The announcement said he "has been" taking them, which in ordinary usage is somewhat vague but more compatible with his taking them for longer than two days since diagnosis, as is the reference to a "daily" aspirin.
    In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin, and a daily aspirin.

Lynn, I had interpreted the meds the same as you, and without spotting the past tense word like you, I had assumed that the famotidine, melatonin and aspirin were part his pre-Covid daily supplements as they looked like ones an older overweight person might need. While Mike, on the other hand has Covid related explanations for each which were rather interesting. Not sure that in the short run, we will be told their purposes.
  • SModa61
    Options
    just adding to the discussion. New on the TV just touched upon President Trump. And I think it was the white house physician commenting but the comment was "yesterday morning.... he had a fever and a Blood oxygen level that was dropping". ( think I typed that right ) I am assuming that "yesterday morning" was friday.