Replies

• cristiwinks
    cristiwinks Posts: 19 Member
    Spam
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2020
    Moonshine.

God made bourbon for a reason. If you're going to drink, drink the good stuff.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »

To contribute to the thread: sweet potatoes. Everything about them is off-putting to me.

It's sweet! It's a potato! What's not to love, lol? :-)

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I like tripe soup as long as it's very sour, but otherwise it's pretty gross.

To contribute to the thread: sweet potatoes. Everything about them is off-putting to me.

I only like the orange sweet potatoes.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    kale

I know it is more nutritious than Romaine lettuce, and I have tried it in a salad raw, sauteed with garlic, and roasted (attempted to make "chips" but they never got crispy). Just not a fan.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Bone-in meat
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Bone-in meat

SAME! I won't eat any meat with the bone in it.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Bone-in meat

I don't even eat meat, but I am curious about those that refuse to eat 'meat w/the bone'. Why is this?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Bone-in meat

I don't even eat meat, but I am curious about those that refuse to eat 'meat w/the bone'. Why is this?

For me it grosses me out and I find it very off putting. The only meats I eat are pre cooked frozen chicken breasts, chicken nuggets/boneless wings, and sandwich turkey slices. To see a whole roast chicken or turkey really turns me off. As a kid I could never eat chicken from a roast chicken and refused to eat soup made from them. (But canned soup was fine)

I don't like to touch raw chicken breasts either. I've never liked wings, even as a kid I just licked the hot sauce off. (I love boneless though) I think it is a psychological thing for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    Soy (allergy)

OMG. Me too. You are the first person I've come across with a soy allergy. 🙋 It's dang frustrating.

It probably isn't too uncommon. Soy is a legume, as are peanuts. So, if you have an allergy to any legume, you might be allergic to all.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Liver

Ditti
  • pancakerunner
    Bone-in meat

For me it grosses me out and I find it very off putting. The only meats I eat are pre cooked frozen chicken breasts, chicken nuggets/boneless wings, and sandwich turkey slices. To see a whole roast chicken or turkey really turns me off. As a kid I could never eat chicken from a roast chicken and refused to eat soup made from them. (But canned soup was fine)

I don't like to touch raw chicken breasts either. I've never liked wings, even as a kid I just licked the hot sauce off. (I love boneless though) I think it is a psychological thing for me.

I love bone in meat... I even suck the marrow out of the bones lol

savage
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,685 Member
    Bone-in meat

Try plant based!!
  • pancakerunner
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    Liver 🤢

my mom always tells me about how growing up her mom would make LIVERWURST and MIRACLE WHIP and PICKLE sandwiches on white bread. GAG
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 973 Member
    A few random thoughts on liver...
    -I ate (and loved) liverwurst and ketchup sandwiches as a kid. It sounds good right now, too. I rarely purchase liverwurst as an adult due to the high calories.
    -Typing this, I realize that I would never put ketchup on plain liver. I don’t particularly care for beef liver, but love chicken livers mixed up in wild rice and especially wrapped in bacon as an appetizer. Of course, bacon wrapped foods is something already discussed in the unpopular food opinion thread.
    -My grandmother, who was born in 1903, put Miracle Whip (or mayo) on every sandwich, of any type. Maybe it was something that was done back in the day.
    -About to go grocery shopping—I may have to get liverwurst!
  • pancakerunner
    I would happily take liverwurst over SPAM any day though
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    I won't eat, beef or pork liver, but I really like liverwurst (braunschweiger) in a sandwich,strange 😎
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Bone-in meat

I consume very limited quantities of meat to begin with, only having chicken/turkey breast, tuna in water, shrimp, or salmon every so often, but I have a personal distaste for bone-in meat ---- there's no reason for my deterrence other than the simple and seemingly silly reason that it "just bothers me". I drink bone broth -- so it's not the bone in and of itself that appalls me.

I wish I had a legitimate reason for not liking bone-in meat, but I can only trace it back to my childlike preferences. When I was a young child and had the rare chicken wing or drumstick, I remember only taking a few bites off the exterior and leaving at least a few inches of flesh surrounding the bone because I knew the bone was underneath it all and didn't want to get to close to it.

Mom and Dad used to get a bit frustrated with me for being so picky and wasting the edible meat that was plenty far from the bone. Perhaps for that reason, they'd tilt their head a bit and really ponder their answer when I'd ask if we could get those "wing zings" from the poultry market. :p
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Bone-in meat

I consume very limited quantities of meat to begin with, only having chicken/turkey breast, tuna in water, shrimp, or salmon every so often, but I have a personal distaste for bone-in meat ---- there's no reason for my deterrence other than the simple and seemingly silly reason that it "just bothers me". I drink bone broth -- so it's not the bone in and of itself that appalls me.

I wish I had a legitimate reason for not liking bone-in meat, but I can only trace it back to my childlike preferences. When I was a young child and had the rare chicken wing or drumstick, I remember only taking a few bites off the exterior and leaving at least a few inches of flesh surrounding the bone because I knew the bone was underneath it all and didn't want to get to close to it.

Mom and Dad used to get a bit frustrated with me for being so picky and wasting the edible meat that was plenty far from the bone. Perhaps for that reason, they'd tilt their head a bit and really ponder their answer when I'd ask if we could get those "wing zings" from the poultry market. :p

WOW we are so similar!! I always got yelled at for wasting all the meat on chicken wings as a kid. That is EXACTLY what I did too. I also don't eat much meat. Most days the only meat I have is 1-2 slices sandwich turkey. Chicken maybe once every few weeks.

@VegjoyP I don't eat much of it so it would be easy to cut out, but every now and then I really enjoy chicken nuggets or chicken on the grill.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,222 Member
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    Liver 🤢

I am an odd one. I love chicken liver pate and liverwurst. My favorite sandwich growing up was liverwurst and miracle whip on white bread. My mom would add onions to her's but I wasn't much of a fan of that.

However, I HATE beef liver and chicken livers when they are not in a pate. My ex's mom made a chicken liver casserole with wild rice. I thought I would love it but the first time I had it I could not stand biting into that mushy chicken liver. I guess as a pate I expect that texture but otherwise I don't really like it.