WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: dug out space for and planted a dozen tulips, two thirds of Leslie Sansome fat burning mile.
    Get to do: eye exam, farmers’ market, post office, inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, R
    eal Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjustor.
    Self Care October
    7: remember things can change for the better: grateful for the surgeon and procedures to save Joe’s sight, praying the “straw” opens and Friday’s pressure check means he no longer needs the sick-making pills.

Heather thought of how you feel about technology tonight when our internet went down. Two days of tech troubles getting to mfp=v. aggravating.
    Barbie enjoy your alone time! I could use some too, to do those chores (vacuuming, laundry) whose noise bothers Joe. The spruce needles and dirty laundry are piling up. :sick:
    Tracey cute puppy!
    Katla ((hugs))
    Machka the cow eating the University of Tasmania image amused me too. It made me laugh out so loud I woke Joe :laugh:

BTW it is the Cooper Street orange cranberry (not cranberry almond) biscotti that are missing from Grocery Outlet’s shelves. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 6, weigh: 6, steps>5491=5547 vits=6 log=6 CI<CO=6 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble & Shadow 5=7 mfp=6 outside=7 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=3 play= sew=0
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Fae remembered!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Holy Cats! 292 posts behind! I have been logging on, but mfp is doing it's strange not letting me get to the community page again. First time here since Thursday! Busy busy with the boys, but having so much fun! Hugs to all! I am going to try to read and catch up, before the kids wake up! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Kim - so glad your mom came through her surgery OK and her BP is doing well. Hoping life will be easier for her now with that taken care of. :) Thanks for update on Lisa, miss her here!

Katla - How exciting to be getting new chairs! Are they recliners? Happy to hear continued good news on Schooner <3

Tracey - I too feel fortunate being raised close to grandparents, and agree about the dropping in unannounced. Funny story - long -
    in our families, a person never lounged around in PJ's on the farm. Everyone would get up, get dressed, get going. PJ's allowed only if a person was sick. When DH and I got married, we set up housekeeping in rented house in town. Locking doors back then was unheard-of. DH preferred to run around in the altogether at times. So one day the grandparents decided to stop by and say HI, walked right on in like everyone did on the farm, and got an eyefull. DH was miffed that his privacy was invaded like that. You know, it was hard for me to ask the grandparents to please call first. Grandma's reply was "it didn't bother us" but I told her well, it bothered him. :( Same type of thing happened to my sister, my dad would walk into their house on the spur of the moment - they rented it from him - and one day caught them both in a "romantic position". That cured him, I think he at least knocked after that. :p Ah, families!
    Cute puppy by the way!!

Fae - glad you remembered ;)

Barbie - agreed, what a treat to have our DH's leave the house now and then. I am so jealous of the gals whose husbands go out for coffee with the guys every morning, go fishing or hunting, putter around in their shops for hours on end. :) I think if my DH felt better and this rotten RA hadn't taken over his joints, he'd love to be more active too. It is what it is. Right now I look forward to him mowing - takes him out of the house for a couple hours, first thing I do it turn off that TV!!

So today the plan is to start ripping out the tomatoes in the garden. Vines look crappy, most of the remaining tomatoes are split. Will try to rescue a few and ripen them in the potting shed. The perfect autumn afternoons for working outside have arrived, and I'm so grateful.

Throwing together a pot of chicken chili today. For some reason it sounds yummy.

Make it a super day! :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Katla - I am truly blessed that my girls have settled close to us. I understand more now how devastating it must have been for our parents when we moved out here 23 years ago.

Machka - what a long time to have no down time.
    😂I loved your mindfulness story.

Kim - thanks for the update on Lisa.

Lanette - thanks for the laugh. That’s a funny story.
    I too turn the tv off as soon as DH leaves th house. Yesterday I got home from work and Young and the Restless was on, I said are you watching Y&R, he said no, I’ve been playing my game. He continued to leave it on for a few more minutes though. It's just background noise that irritates me.

I was up early this morning so got some housework completed before leaving for work. I hope that doesn't become a habit as I like my sleep.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    J
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    459830qyqjkq81to.gif
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Options
    OCD I was not pleased with my behavior yesterday, but I was pleased with my response. My bestie of over 30 years witnessed some of my strange facial gyrations and apparently new moves that were very concerning and a bit frightening. The look in her eyes was one of fright and deep concern.

Bestie - "OMG, Fae what are you doing?" >:)

Me - "I am doing my facial Yoga, do you mind?" o:)

Lanette I can smell that chicken chili here way upriver. <3 Great funny story. In my youth, I witnessed my grandparents in such positions when rushing in unannounced and grew up calling it "the uglies" and I still do.

Kelly I had that problem yesterday. Glad others had it so I don't go rambling on about being personally punished. :s

M in Oz Loved the mindful skit! :D

Tracey I would install a radio control remote on the TV AC power cord, and he would never know why it kept cutting out. Hide the control where he cannot ever find it. :D

Cheri I visited College Station as a child as I had a great aunt there. Maybe get up earlier and get that personal time as mornings can be the best time of day for quiet girl time.

Barbara Maybe get Joe on the vacuum and that way it won't bother him. When others vacuum, blow leaves, etc., the noise bothers me, but if I do it it doesn't. Sad that your personal alone time is used doing chores. :/

Wives personal time I can't comment from personal experience as a senior, but from friends' experiences, I know few that have husbands or partners that know how to balance giving there partners alone time.

One friend says her DH is always gone. Up early having coffee with the "boys," then off to golf, then working on their old cars or motorcycles in their leaders (divorced 4 times and now alone) huge garage, then afternoons drinking beer and swapping the same old stories that weren't worth telling the first time. Briefly at home to eat and sleep, but too tired to do any chores.

The majority report the same as you ladies here. Partners that are home 24/7. Getting them out of the house is impossible without you being with them. Retirement, old age, and health concerns make it harder for a woman to get that alone time (in her home) that is so necessary.

I think one set of my grandparents had the perfect solution. They legally separated but bought a large duplex and each owned and had their personal side. It was great for kids and grandkids to visit because they were still in the same location, but they could do as they liked while looking after each other healthwise. My grandma's side was spotless, super tidy, and smelled like baking bread, while my grandpa's side was a toxic oil slick. He ate fried cabbage with hamburger for all three meals a day. No venting, just grease coating walls, the ceiling, and the floor. He refused to let anyone clean it. If I visited there first, I had to take off my shoes to visit my grandma's.

I can't imagine being partners 24/7 with anyone that didn't give me a LOT of personal space and time. It seems as we age even the once most comparable develop differences that require some personal time to keep things balanced. If I was in a long term relationship that deprived me of my personal time because of old age changes, I would hang in there and be a loyal partner, but I might be about as much fun to the DH as his bleeding hemorrhoids. ;):D:*>:)

<3 Fae - on deserts edge in the land of the river ~~~~ where the mighty sturgeon still swim B)

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Made it through my Tuesday challenge fast! Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Machka: I’ve no doubt your mindful exercises are useful. Did your DH enjoy the event? :huh:

Lanette: We had a change of heart and cancelled our chair order. Too spendy! The ones we have now have been used for a very long time and are useable. The upholstery is worn but they’re still comfortable. I feel good about the decision. :star:

Snowflake: I’m the TV watcher in our house. I like critter shows and a show from Canada featuring big rig rescue towing companies. The show is called Ice Road Truckers. DH thinks I’m nuts, but it is fascinating to watch the problem solving it takes the tow truck operators to get broken-down big rigs off of the roadway in terrible road conditions and taken to a repair facility. Sometimes the terrible conditions are weather related, and sometimes they're caused by breaking down in a huge traffic snarl. :star:

Last night was a tough one. DH had a low blood-sugar episode and I called in the paramedics. They gave him IV glucose and he came around. He's doing okay today. I LOVE our firefighters. They've saved DH's life more than once. :star:

We have a misty morning and it is good to be warm and cozy inside.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    K
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    gs7m1asa9wcx.png
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,962 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline,

Heather thought of how you feel about technology tonight when our internet went down. Two days of tech troubles getting to mfp=v. aggravating.
    Barbie enjoy your alone time! I could use some too, to do those chores (vacuuming, laundry) whose noise bothers Joe. The spruce needles and dirty laundry are piling up. :sick:

[

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 6, weigh: 6, steps>5491=5547 vits=6 log=6 CI<CO=6 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble & Shadow 5=7 mfp=6 outside=7 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=3 play= sew=0

My husband is totally obsessed with vacuuming. He will vacuum at least two or three times a day, some days even more often. Doesn't matter if someone(me or son) are sleeping, trying to watch tv, on the phone, he will start vacuuming. He keeps buying new ones, better or great deal or ...... there are four in the house and at least three or more in the garage. That is the one chore that he does around here and does it too much.
    I do get a few hours to myself tomorrow. I don't have my daycare girl and he is going up to Vacaville to take his mom shopping. He asked if I wanted to go, uummm- NO!!!! I will go over take care of our friends pets, they are coming home tomorrow night, then come home and pull out the Fall decorations from the shed and start to decorate. Need to do some weeding in the front(morning glory are beautiful but have taken over), summer/floral decorations taken down and some of the raspberries pruned.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla - I am truly blessed that my girls have settled close to us. I understand more now how devastating it must have been for our parents when we moved out here 23 years ago.

Machka - what a long time to have no down time.
    😂I loved your mindfulness story.

Kim - thanks for the update on Lisa.

Lanette - thanks for the laugh. That’s a funny story.
    I too turn the tv off as soon as DH leaves th house. Yesterday I got home from work and Young and the Restless was on, I said are you watching Y&R, he said no, I’ve been playing my game. He continued to leave it on for a few more minutes though. It's just background noise that irritates me.

I was up early this morning so got some housework completed before leaving for work. I hope that doesn't become a habit as I like my sleep.

Tracey in Edmonton

my husband is another one that has to have the tv on from the time he gets up til after he falls asleep. Has to have a tv on in what ever room he is in. The only rooms in the house without tv's are the two bathrooms(and then he takes his phone in when he uses his). And he has his AC on in his room so has to have the tv loud, think his hearing is going too. Many nights I have to get up, close his room door and turn on the fan in the bedroom just to drown out the noise from his tv. Hard to sleep when the light is shining in and he is watching some darn zombie show. He thinks it is odd that I will sit in the living room all day on my day off/weekend with the tv off. All week long during the day I have DisneyJr or NickJr so I like it quiet sometimes. I do watch it in the evenings but we only like a very few of the same shows. Doesn't really matter, he is rarely in the living room, most of the time in his room or sleeping
    Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    OCD I was not pleased with my behavior yesterday, but I was pleased with my response. My bestie of over 30 years witnessed some of my strange facial gyrations and apparently new moves that were very concerning and a bit frightening. The look in her eyes was one of fright and deep concern.

Wives personal time I can't comment from personal experience as a senior, but from friends' experiences, I know few that have husbands or partners that know how to balance giving there partners alone time.

One friend says her DH is always gone. Up early having coffee with the "boys," then off to golf, then working on their old cars or motorcycles in their leaders (divorced 4 times and now alone) huge garage, then afternoons drinking beer and swapping the same old stories that weren't worth telling the first time. Briefly at home to eat and sleep, but too tired to do any chores.

The majority report the same as you ladies here. Partners that are home 24/7. Getting them out of the house is impossible without you being with them. Retirement, old age, and health concerns make it harder for a woman to get that alone time (in her home) that is so necessary.

I think one set of my grandparents had the perfect solution. They legally separated but bought a large duplex and each owned and had their personal side. It was great for kids and grandkids to visit because they were still in the same location, but they could do as they liked while looking after each other healthwise. My grandma's side was spotless, super tidy, and smelled like baking bread, while my grandpa's side was a toxic oil slick. He ate fried cabbage with hamburger for all three meals a day. No venting, just grease coating walls, the ceiling, and the floor. He refused to let anyone clean it. If I visited there first, I had to take off my shoes to visit my grandma's.

I can't imagine being partners 24/7 with anyone that didn't give me a LOT of personal space and time. It seems as we age even the once most comparable develop differences that require some personal time to keep things balanced. If I was in a long term relationship that deprived me of my personal time because of old age changes, I would hang in there and be a loyal partner, but I might be about as much fun to the DH as his bleeding hemorrhoids. ;):D:*>:)

<3 Fae - on deserts edge in the land of the river ~~~~ where the mighty sturgeon still swim B)

I totally agree with you. As we age, we do want more personal space and getting less of it. I am really seeing it when I visit my parents. They have been married 62yrs. Mom has not ever been on her own. Married very young(no, younger than you think). Dad never goes anywhere on his own. It is just in the last few months that she goes in to help at food bank once a week by herself. He used to go help too but it is too hard for him now. He will be 83 next month. He doesn't even like it when mom is back in her computer room instead of being in the living room with her or when she is online on her phone while in the living room- He doesn't understand why she is on it all the time. She is 77 and loves technology but he has no interest in it at all. He is really getting on her nerves more and more.
    Debbie
  • Faetta
    Options
    Katla Yes, Oregon seems to have the best paramedics/firefighters. Sure saved me a couple of times. I used to watch Ice road truckers, but I drove a truck on icy roads and that show made me cold and always tense on the edge of my seat remembering when I almost put a truck over a cliff. The idea that they drove over a frozen lake used to make my OCD bad. Zek loved that show and I didn't mind watching it at his place as he kept his house 85 degrees. I should have recorded the show and saved it for menopause attacks.
  • Faetta
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    gs7m1asa9wcx.png

I love it!!!
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I have to ask, why do you stay with these men? ;) I would say to them, "Shape up, or ship out!"
    I am baffled. Why would you let anyone else dictate what happens in your personal space?
    We, DH and me, are not perfect, but we respect each other's privacy and choices. No one overrides my space. Especially audible.
    It's so easy these days to each have your own audible space with headphones etc. If they are annoying you, say so. Why would you let anyone take away your liberty?

Truly baffled, but said in love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

For me, I stay because I don't want to start over AGAIN- too old to do that so I put up with it. I was very close to leaving 5 yrs ago when hubby #1 came back into my life but before I was totally sure that is what I wanted he decided he didn't want to split up my marriage so went online and met/got engaged and married someone else-still loves me but thought that was the best. We love each other and are best friends- just can't be together :(
    Things could be a lot worse. I don't have to worry about financial issues, I know he won't physically hurt me(both were issues with #1 before he got some help). I have told #2 that I can't sleep with his tv so loud, close the door but it doesn't change.
    I plan on spending a lot more time away, up at my parents soon. I want to totally retire. He wants me to keep doing the daycare for the writeoffs- I don't think it is enough to make it worth working- with one kid- she is my last one and starts school in less than a year. My parents need help on their farm and I need to be up there for me.

Debbie